Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Didnt see that many bikes when I visited...

Didnt see that many bikes when I visited...

Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Didnt see that many bikes when I visited...

Hello Friends,

I was wondering how popular bike riding is in general on the island. I noticed that roads were a little tight for cars when I visited which might explain why I didnt see that many people riding bikes. Almost seemed like it would be a little dangerous to try to ride your bike.

That said, are there any long and/or nice bike trails that anyone is aware of? I also noticed a walk way being built on the beach but apparently you are not allowed to bike or roller-blade on there? Lastly, shipping costs aside, is it better to buy a bike from Barbados or bring on in from your home country (Canada, US, UK etc).

Zombie
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Didnt see that many bikes when I visited...

I can help you with this one, Zombie.

I'm a road cyclist myself, and OH does both road and mtb.

I only ride outdoors on Sunday mornings, starting at around 6:15am with a group of about 4-8 people of various levels (I am currently the slowest, but I'm working on it LOL!). The reason we go that early, and on Sundays, is because that's the day & time when there is the least traffic on the roads (and with daylight). From what I'm used to (Ontario), these roads and the traffic are quite a bit more scary so I never go alone and never in heavy traffic. That being said, the Sunday morning rides are usually great and I enjoy them. I've not got hit by a car yet. But they sure come close sometimes!

There are other groups of road cyclists who go out regularly. M&M bike shop does a group ride once or twice a month, and there is another pelaton I've seen out who are FANTASTIC! I was in awe at how tight they were - like a mini Tour.

As for mountain biking, there are tons of places to go. I can hook you up with some people if you are interested.

No, you cannot ride or rollerblade on the boardwalk, but you wouldn't want to for a couple reasons:
1 - it's ridged wood, not smooth
2 - it's really short for that sort of activity. Walking or jogging is better.

Now, on to buying bikes. OH and I both brought our bikes from home. It cost a little extra to put them on the plane, because they are oversize boxes, but that was only about $100. That was better than buying road bikes here, which I've noticed can be about double the price. Mountain bikes, however, are a-plenty and you can buy a decent one here for a decent price.

Let me know if you have other questions!
Foxy
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info as always Foxy. I'm new to the sport and was hoping to ride 1-2 times per week on the road and maybe a monthly mountain ride. I'll send you a note when I get a confirmed date.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, do!

I'd love to have a fellow beginner with me. I'm totally on my own at the back of the pack
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I was just at M&M cycle shop today and discovered that they do a "spinnervals" class in their parking lot with bike trainers! It's every Tuesday at 5:30pm and it's okay if you don't have your own trainer because they have some extras. Just call ahead.

Apparently some people even use their rollers. I'm not quite at that level yet, but I think I will try out the "Spinnervals" class some time. I use the trainer at home, but it would be much more fun in a group.

Just another cycling activity