Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Considering buying a property..advice please?

Considering buying a property..advice please?

Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

YORKSHIRE LAD will become famous soon enough
Default Considering buying a property..advice please?

Hello,

We are Brits, but living in Canada (legally!) as Permanent Residents. We want to stay in Canada but are looking to buy a humble property in Barbados to visit, but also to rent out to longer term tenants or short term visitors.

We came to Canada...so we are aware of the implications of buying / moving internationally, but would welcome initial advice from any one who has experience of buying in Barbados.

Also, down the line, we could imagine living in Barbados at least during the Canadian winter! Again, anyone with experience of this arrangement?

Any advice appreciated. Cheers!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering buying a property..advice please?

I can only comment on the process of purchasing property to say it's painful to say the least. There are lots of good websites for you to look at to get an idea of type and price, but the painful bit comes when you're ready to get the legal stuff done. I was told it can take anything from 6 months to a year. We managed it just under 6 months - totally unnecessary delays which all lead to the seller's lawyer holding our deposit and not accounting for the interest for 3-4 months (not something you're allowed to do in the UK).

So as long as you're not in any great hurry, have the deposit and can bear with some incompetence along the way you'll be fine. Some may think I'm being unnecessarily harsh here, but this is just my experience.

Other things to bear in mind are land tax that you'll need to pay http://www.barbados.gov.bb/Landtax/default.asp for details.

Good luck
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Hi there,

Well i've had a much more positive experience. I have a British lawyer (married to a Bajan) and she gets things sorted....quickly! Both my purchases were completed within 3 months, and the whole process was very straightforward. Feel free to PM me for her details if you're interested.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:21 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grassisgreener
I can only comment on the process of purchasing property to say it's painful to say the least. There are lots of good websites for you to look at to get an idea of type and price, but the painful bit comes when you're ready to get the legal stuff done. I was told it can take anything from 6 months to a year. We managed it just under 6 months - totally unnecessary delays which all lead to the seller's lawyer holding our deposit and not accounting for the interest for 3-4 months (not something you're allowed to do in the UK).

So as long as you're not in any great hurry, have the deposit and can bear with some incompetence along the way you'll be fine. Some may think I'm being unnecessarily harsh here, but this is just my experience.

Other things to bear in mind are land tax that you'll need to pay http://www.barbados.gov.bb/Landtax/default.asp for details.

Good luck
I had similar experiences ie laywers just taking for ever (6 months- just to get them to accept the deposit!!) - however it worked out for the best for me as the land suddenly shotup in cost when the pound dropped from 4 to under 3 to 1 so I pulled out
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 12:02 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

back 13 years ago, even as locals, we found a house we wanted to purchase (after searching for 5 years) in late May. In Early June we started the process and we finally got it done in early October. In that time, the lawyer for the seller, went to France for his annual 6 week holiday, leaving no one in his office who could "sign" anything. Be warned that the lawyers fees are huge for doing relatively nothing. Also, deeds are sometimes the hardest thing to deal with.. no records or missing records are commom place.

good luck.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

This all sounds very daunting, what about if you already had land and just wanted to build on it?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Building your own house is equally as daunting, if not more so than buying. Aside from the astronomical cost of materials--due to the various monopolies, the quality of design and construction for what you pay is way off. On top of that count on becoming a full time personal construction manager/ supervisor for a year or two while you are building.In general you need to be in a decent neighborhood and that doesn't guarantee that your neighbor won't put up a 1/2 finished orange coloured house with a purple verandah and leave it that way for 15 years. Unless you are 100% certain that you are staying here I would rent a decent place and forget about building.

**I work in the industry and I have no intention of building for these reasons.**
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:21 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Zanne.. that added to my nightly does of good humor..

but.. I 2nd exactly what she said.. and I'm not even in the industry.

I have a family member who has spent about 3 years and way to much money to count, on having plans drawn up to build 2 townhouses, on their own property. They have scrapped the idea..for the main reason that the 1mil cost they thought they would be spending, started turning into 1.5 and 2mil cost.. so they have just spend a wad (don't know the figure but it was alot) for a great set of plans.. but no building.

and yes.. the cost of materials is alot, but it's more the time and commitment.. As stated. that's great that you have property.. but.. unless you are 100pct certain.. and are willing to be your own contractor and be there day in and day out.. then I would seriously reconsider what you plan to do. Building a house here can take a very long time.. and not for any other reason than the people you hire. You might find a great mason,, but he may only come to you for a week.. go off another job, then back to you ..sooo... it aint' as easy as it sounds.. or you will have workmen on your site and they work at their own pace.. not yours.. just how it is.

good luck.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought a house without too much trouble. Certainly less than the 6-8 months it would take in the UK.
We spent a long time looking for a place; trying to decide if we should rent or buy but the purchasing was pretty straight forward. I guess it depends on who you use?
We now spend 8 months a year here and love it.