totally confused by laws

Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

summersj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default totally confused by laws

hi there, hopefully someone can sort out my confusion.

ok so me and my partner are from the UK and have no connection to the island. But we want to move to barbados in the next year (well ASAP but believe it may take some time).

We have some money in the bank now-not hundreds of thousands but some. We are looking to open a beach bar out there, we can employ the locals to work for us if that is what will help us get in. please can someone help me with my questions.

Firstly if the application is accepted how long does the process actually take?

second how to go about visas?? They sound impossible to get and are confusing about which is the best to suit us- a long term one, a 6month one you can renew each time after you leave the island or a permanent one??

Any other info will be great aswell. i just dunno where to start and everyone is saying how hard it is. thanks
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: totally confused by laws

You would do well to hire a lawyer who specializes in Work Permits and Immigration. The rules, while they may be written somewhere, are not always consistently enforced. One person will have one experience, and another person will have a different experience. Also, the rules are in the process of changing, so we're ALL confused

You can also try calling the Immigration department (not email - it likely won't get answered and you don't know who's writing the response) and speak to the Chief Immigration Officer. However, if you have a good lawyer, they'll do that on your behalf.

Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:20 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by summersj
hi there, hopefully someone can sort out my confusion.

ok so me and my partner are from the UK and have no connection to the island. But we want to move to barbados in the next year (well ASAP but believe it may take some time).

We have some money in the bank now-not hundreds of thousands but some. We are looking to open a beach bar out there, we can employ the locals to work for us if that is what will help us get in. please can someone help me with my questions.

Firstly if the application is accepted how long does the process actually take?

second how to go about visas?? They sound impossible to get and are confusing about which is the best to suit us- a long term one, a 6month one you can renew each time after you leave the island or a permanent one??

Any other info will be great aswell. i just dunno where to start and everyone is saying how hard it is. thanks
I would think half the world wants to move to Barbados and open a beach bar As for getting any form of work permits with this idea I would not hold my breath. Things are pretty tight for people trying to get into Barbados now due to oversaturation, maybe things may ease up in a year or two.

Have you been to Barbados for any extended time ? Holidaying on an isalnd and living there permanently are two different kettles of fish.

Can you maybe go on an extended vacation there and really see if your idea is feasible ?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:27 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

and may I add that there is very little precious space for a beach bar, and if you can find one for rent or sale.. plan to spend an arm and leg just to get it.. likely more than that 100's of thousands you may or may not have. and then it's to run it and "make it work"..

I think I'd have to agree with PG.. come visit and have a look around before you make this decision.. it's not as easy as it might sound.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:44 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi maybe I could offer a different perspective on this for you

What is your main aim??? To make money in Barbados or to Live in Barbados for a while?

From what i have heard beach bars do not make money in Barbados they barely break even so why spend money to loose it? This information is born out by the constant change in hands of these bars.

If its to live in Barbados why not just use your money and go for a 6 month period and "live" there looking into options to make money to pay your bills. To get this visa although as a Commonwealth Citizen we are theoretically entitled to 6 months you will probably be given 1-3 months at the airport and will then have to go to the immigration department in town a week before it expires and apply for the rest. DO NOT tell them you are there looking for work etc it will not be in your interest. There is no such thing as a permanent visa - that is called residency or citizenship and unless you are a bajan citizen by decent or have been legally living in the country for 5 years this is not an option. Other options depend on your age and status and you have not mentioned any of those details. Finally work permits - short term = 6 months long term up to 3 years for anything longer than 6 months you dance through hoops with proof that no one else on the island can do wat you want to do and includes police character references and degree certification etc etc etc. This can take up to a year.

I have recently returned from Barbados after a 4 years stint there and although i loved it i did loose money on my business inputs. Apart from buying your bar you have to pay a lawyer and also buy your work permits (thats if they are actually allocated and trust me with the current gov they are being very conservative whom they let in) I came to realise that to live in a perfect world for me is half a year in uk with my family and earning some money and half a year in Barbados "liming" and recovering from the rat race with my friends.

Just some thoughts for you to consider because after 4 years you will realise that Barbados is not the paradise it seems when you are on holiday as it has its pros and cons just as any other country
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told outright that I wouldn't get residency from my solicitor even if I had a business, employed Bajans and paid thousands into the economy.
I've now applied for a 1 year visitors visa in January. Who can guess when I might get that call to say it is ready.
I don't have any real problem at the airport even when I say I am staying for 90+ days. Ok, I do own a property here now. I got asked about all the Barbados stamps in my passport once but they've never stopped me from entering.
I tried to apply for a 3 year visitor visa but they said I had to be 60 for that one.
While I don't have to pay tax I'm happy enough Might as well pay them 50 dollars once a year rather than tax!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cartoon
I was told outright that I wouldn't get residency from my solicitor even if I had a business, employed Bajans and paid thousands into the economy.
I've now applied for a 1 year visitors visa in January. Who can guess when I might get that call to say it is ready.
I don't have any real problem at the airport even when I say I am staying for 90+ days. Ok, I do own a property here now. I got asked about all the Barbados stamps in my passport once but they've never stopped me from entering.
I tried to apply for a 3 year visitor visa but they said I had to be 60 for that one.
While I don't have to pay tax I'm happy enough Might as well pay them 50 dollars once a year rather than tax!

Hmmm........ Your solicitor was being kind of cautious, I think. You can get the 3-year visitor visa if you're under 60, so long as you've got plenty of evidence to show you can support yourself without working in Barbados. I'm half that age, and I have one.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

My solictor told me I could get a 3 year visa, but Ms Weeks at immigration said we could only have a year because I am under 60. Sure they just make it up as they go along.
I'm not too worried, have lived here for two years and they have always stamped my passport for the length of time I asked anyway. I travel a lot so usually my maximum stay if 5 months at a time but I will usually slip in a trip to one of the other islands for a few days.
Have done all the bank statement stuff.

Originally Posted by Ikon
Hmmm........ Your solicitor was being kind of cautious, I think. You can get the 3-year visitor visa if you're under 60, so long as you've got plenty of evidence to show you can support yourself without working in Barbados. I'm half that age, and I have one.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cartoon
My solictor told me I could get a 3 year visa, but Ms Weeks at immigration said we could only have a year because I am under 60. Sure they just make it up as they go along.
I'm not too worried, have lived here for two years and they have always stamped my passport for the length of time I asked anyway. I travel a lot so usually my maximum stay if 5 months at a time but I will usually slip in a trip to one of the other islands for a few days.
Have done all the bank statement stuff.
Yes, I definitely think they're making it up as they go along LOL! I'm not sure the Green Paper has helped with that, either - they seem more confused than ever.