Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Best way to send money home

Best way to send money home

Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

neiljdonn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to send money home

I am an Irish man just starting my life in Barbados. My work permit is being applied for at the moment.

I am trying to send some money home to Ireland urgently.

I do not have a bank account yet, as I am not an official resident yet. I tried to send money by western union, but the staff at RBTT informed me that I need 2 forms of ID ( no problem there), a proof of address (not sure if my address in Ireland will do?). However I have to go to the central bank to get these documents approved. ( I can't do that as I am working during that banks opening hours). Surely there is an easier way to get the money home quickly..... Sending money with Western Union at home is a sinch compared to this hassle!!

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:35 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to send money home

I've actually been told (now this was years ago) that you could send money in, but not out of Barbados VIA Western Union.

Re the Central Bank, it would be the only way, and if you need to do this, your employer should be able to understand and let you take time off (having said that, much depends on who you work for and what kind of job you do).

It's going to get a little complicated until you get that bank account, and even then it's not the easiest thing to do.

on another note, and not to sound to negative, but in these times around here, I'm not even 100pct certain I would have accepted a job here, without the work permit being valid.. technically you are here, working illegally, until that work permit comes through.. To say it isn't done, I'd be wrong, but it doesn't make it right or legal.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:02 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to send money home

Hi Neil is it because you are a foreigner and do not have official status that you need docs approved?

If yes maybe ask a local friend to go to western union and wire the money with you in his/her name. If the amount is over a certain figure maybe thats why you need central bank approval?

Another option would be your local bank here doing a wire tranfer but im guessing if you dont have an address here verified you might not have a bank account here?

Also re your work permit as Sunnie mentioned if you get caught working without a work permit you will be deported immediately and possibly not allowed to return for upto 1 year they are sooo hot on this. This happened to a friend of mine whose employers told her they were processing a work permit!!

Dipidy