Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Appointments at immagration

Appointments at immagration

Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Appointments at immagration

When I go over in March for a few weeks, my boyfriend and I plan to go to immagration to find out exactly what we need to do and when in order to allow me to move over and work (it seems that everything is changing so often, we want to get the most up to date info from the 'horses mouth'). Is it worth calling and making an appointment in advance?? If so, how far in advance should we do this??

Thanks

Vikki
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Appointments at immagration

In terms of working, the process is generally that you have a job lined up before asking for a work permit (as the hiring company usually processes the work permit for you). I am not sure that you'd be as successful trying to get a work permit without a job lined up. Not sure that's even possible at all.

Unless, of course, you are eligible for citizenship, which can negate the need for a work permit.

Calling Immigration is a good idea, but to be honest with you I have found better success in determining a process by either my lawyer or by someone else who has been through it. My personal experience with Immigration is that they aren't forthcoming with information if you don't specifically ask, and there are a LOT of questions you can't possibly think of. So, each time I came away from them, I thought I had the information I required, only to find out there was MORE when I went back to Immigration.

Getting a lawyer is the best way to go, IMO.

Good luck.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks foxy. I will get my boyfriend to contact a lawyer and see what they can find out for me.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

hahahahahah an apointment! hahhahahaha too funny.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bimchick
hahahahahah an apointment! hahhahahaha too funny.
LOL - I would say def speak to a lawyer and even then not be certain to get a full anser. Immigration info changes depending on who you speak to on that day...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:58 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I too was thinking that getting an appointment with immigration for them to tell you how to get to live here when they are actively trying to get rid of people from this island was a little naive but not laughing cos you have to start with your dreams some how. In the UK our government is accountable and answerable in its delivery of services to foreigners - here its a case of I will tell you ur rights depending on what i feel to say to you or consider you need to know otherwise im not in the least bit interested in your concerns.

Immigration appear to relish putting any impediment to moving to barbados in your way and in a way its understandable with an island the same size in numbers of our shires (ie bedfordshire or hertfordshire)

Its not really rocket science of how to get to live here there are basically a few legal options. You can come on visitors visas (normally 3 months at a time) you can get a job offer along with a work permit (this can last anything from 6 months to 3 years) or you can apply for residency or citizenship if parents are barbadian. The only other route im aware of is via marriage however this is probably the most stressful and unwelcoming route as the longer they can keep you out of your citizenship status the more likely you are to leave the marriage and go home.

All options would be best managed by a lawyer as this shows due care and attention from immigration and seems to add credence to an application.

Bottom line out there is that just like you cant turn up in Australia and expect to live and work there nor can you in Barbados - no matter how much you think you can offer the economy or society Barbados appears to be quite happy as it is and aint really feeling change. There is simply too many people here not enough skilled jobs for local skilled work and the pound is losing its value so basically ideas of just wanting to come here should always have a solid plan and will cost you money to achieve it

When i came a few years ago things were very different and maybe dreams could come true however it really is a case of know what you want find out what needs doing and be prepared to invest lots of time money and personal frustration in getting here - once you do then the story really starts lol

Good luck sweetheart - what is meant to be will be just be realistic that it wont be easy and set your heart ready for some obstacles

God bless

Dipidy
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I think we will have to go down the marriage route - been looking at dresses already!! hehe. I totally understand why they make it so hard, wish UK would take note. Im sure I will get there one day, just how far in the future that day is.....................God knows.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

I rung Barbados hugh commission in London today. The girl there advised me that I can only apply for citizenship 1 year after being married. Is this right?? I had heard previously that you could start the process pretty much straight away once married (although how long it takes to go through is anyones guess).

Thanks
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

you can start the process IMMEDIATELY after getting married. Once you apply, it takes minimum 1 year until you have an interview and about 2-3 years after the interview before citizenship is granted.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:03 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

you can, or used to be able to, apply for citizenship the day after you are married. A women who marries a barbadian man is allowed by law to hold citizenship. A man who marries a barbadian women can only hold residency. Both are allowed by law, but it's up to immigration to determaine the length of time it will take to actually get. I got mine (16years ago) in about 2 months.
I actually never had an interview with anyone. But I have the citizenship paper to prove I have it.

I think what needs to be considered in all of this is that people need to be upfront, open and patient with these matters. I know it's difficult, and I'm sure that most people who go through this process think that those working in Immigration are a bunch of .. well I'm not going to type it here, but you still have to understand, Barbados is one of the better islands to move to (yes it's true) when it comes to infrastructure and the like. There are people who want to come here and will do things that are not quite legal to get here and stay here (some of those use this island as a jumping off point to get to the US or UK.. So i'm not talking about Canadians, Americans or Brits) So Immigration just has to be careful and go through the process.

I'm sure there are many people out their who don't like the way immigration status is process in the UK, US or Canada or other countries.. soooo.. we deal with it and be patient.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Appointments at immagration

I know you guys advised against it, but I have made an appointment to go to immagration on the 13th March, so that my boyfriend and I can ask all the questions we have. You guys have answered most of my questions, but I know my boyfriend has questions too that he would like to ask and we just thought it would be easier to go while I'm on the island as this will hopefully be my last 'short' visit for a while!!

I will let you know how I get on.

Vikki
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hey Vikki,

It wasn't that people were necessarily advising against it... we just didn't think it would happen! Most of the time when I call there, nobody answers, despite my trying all the numbers in the phone book.

Good luck!
fox
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Vikki-- just keep your hopes in check I have been there one too many times to be told that the "appointment" has to be rescheduled...funeral, baptism, birth, wedding, retirement party, asteroid... you name it.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:30 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Vicki good luck with your appointment they are supposed to be going thru a radical shakedown in immigration at the moment (not sure if that just means they are going to rearrange the furniture lol!) so you could be one of the lucky ones who they try their new regime out on.

Please keep us all informed as to how you get along (good or bad) as who knows there might be hope yet lol

Dipidy
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

We have come to realise that it is not coming to be as 'smooth' as we had hoped and that I may need to come back to the UK to work for 4-6 months at a time to get some money. But if that is what it takes to be together, then we have to do it. We have been used to the long distance thing (as it has been over 4 years now), but it will be weird living away from my 'husband'!!

I am back in the UK the last week of March so will let you all know what they have advised me.

Vikki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.