Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Barbados Light and Power FYI

Barbados Light and Power FYI

Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Barbados Light and Power FYI

Hi all, I hope that this may of some help to those of us trying to cut back on utility bills, namely BL&P. This is what I have been doing and as well learned from BL&P in regard to meter readings and billing:

1. Go and read your meter, if you have a digital one that should make it fairly easy. Read it at the same time every day for a week when you have normal usage, ie. when you don't have guests from Iceland in, etc. This will show you how many kWh you are using on average per day. If you are gone for the day and everything is off and a significant usage is still evident something is wrong!!!

2. When you get your bill you will notice that BL&P at most reads your meter every other month, never once a month. The months that you have not had a physical (on-site at your meter) reading the bill will say Interim or on the new bills 'I' in the RC Column. Last month I used 167 kWh, however this month's Interim bill came in at 239 kWh, the first month was $91.23, the second $143.14. In reality at my meter I had only used about 100 kWh.

3. The good news is that you can call BL&P, find out when your meter will be read every other month by a BL&P meter man, and the days that you should read it in lieu of an interim estimate. Mine for example needs to be read on the 14th business day of every month. Once you have this information and take the reading you can register on BL&P's website and enter the reading yourself. Yesterday I called the reading in and when I went to the site today the bill had been adjusted from $143.14 (estimated) to $74.11(actual)-- so it works.

I am really trying to cut back on the utility bill... I hope this is of help!!!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:40 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbados Light and Power FYI

great advise Zanne.. I'll pass this on to the hubby..

Don't forget tonight is Earth Hour.. 830pm.. shut everything off..and unplug..

good luck..
Old Mar 27th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Sunnie thanks for the reminder, Earth Hour should be pretty easy...I'll be passed out asleep!!!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Thanks Zanne, that is useful especially as no one ever reads my meter as they are scared of the dogs

Sx
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:32 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

shines, that's too funny.. but sooo true..

and zanne.. while we didn't pass out and sleep.. it followed shortly there after.. making for a lovely quite Saturday evening..
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be out there tomorrow
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Be certain to turn off all non-essential lights when u get here!