Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Accommodation needed, mosquitos

Accommodation needed, mosquitos

Old Oct 20th 2016, 11:23 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation needed, mosquitos

As per my conversation with my friend at Meridian Inn yesterday, the issue you are going to encounter is that the Barbados 50th year of Independence celebrations (30 Nov) have a lot of people coming into Barbados from about mid November, so some of the properties that I mentioned to you, may not be available. and this isn't just the major hotels, as she also checked a few rental properties that she has and they are also not available for the full time that you need it. I would suggest calling around to see.. don't rely on websites to give you the prices and the availability.

She does have availability until the 14th or 16th of November but its full after that. and the rate is no where near what you would pay at The Club.. (and it is a a basic hotel, not all inclusive, but nice clean and good staff)

Last edited by Sunniebgi; Oct 20th 2016 at 11:52 am.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Just going back to the topic of mosquitoes for a moment... Be sparing with the BOP, Joanne; it's some kind of nerve gas, and powerful enough to kill cockroaches with a single zap. (They crawl away to die; it's not instantaneous.) In our house we rely mostly on coils when we're sitting on the verandah, and/or OFF, which is DEET, I think. Inside - well, we have gauze screens, and are careful not to leave them open except when we're going in or out. At night - and this I found out one day from the internet - we find that an open packet of Bounce clothes-dryer sheets (or even one single sheet) on the bed keeps away the odd mozzie that has eluded all the other deterrents. I guess the OP must have been living in pretty primitive accommodation, to have to use a net (hope you're remembering to tuck it in tightly!); I haven't used one of those since I was a kid in the Australian bush!

Lastly, there are VAPE mats, sometimes brand-name ARS-mats. They come with a little electric heater thingie, and are very effective indoors.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:56 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really in favor of most of the chemical methods, though i'll give the bounce a go.

Personally - While I have successfully used the heated mats and more recently the devices that vaporize liquid eg from jungle formula to kill mozzies and unfortunately my secondary defense in training [little gecko's] , they are pyrethroids, which are toxic chemicals and if the room is open to breezes, via netted windows [my preferrence] the concentration of chemical doesn't get high enough to actually kill the bugs . I have also closed windows and woken up with slightly hung over symptoms where no alcohol was imbibed, which just isnt on...

I find a good net is certain, which promotes good sleep even if one hears the dreaded buzz and doesnt cause any issues so long as you have a huge bed and net [ikea do both :-)
Old Oct 21st 2016, 10:00 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Coils - well the bayer ones - are nastier than deet, but i do agree they are great outdoors, along with a few citronella candles for atmosphere. Do you have a cream called odomos? The locals swear by it, indian manufacturer, the active chemical is a known deet like alternative, works about the same but seems to give less of an issue with sensitive skin.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 10:51 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the other problem is.. you can spray all you want inside.. or use whatever means you can to get rid of them.. but if the yard, bush etc, isn't sprayed or taken care of, it's really not going to matter.

I have used Avon's Skin So Soft (original oil) as I get out of the shower almost every day of my life for at least 30 years.. and honestly don't have a really issue with Mossies here. Noseeums on a evening in St. John (at my inlaws house) between about 4:30 and 700pm.. are terrible. and his can also cause the bits.

My sister in laws husband gets terrible terrible bits all over, when they have visited from New Zealand. he had to wear long sleeves and long pants for the better part of his last holiday here.

I hope the original poster has been able to either get relief or find alternate accommodation. it's never easy that's for sure.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

JoanneDavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Serendipity. I was looking for alternative places for the retreat. Initially the person I was running it with was making out like it was just me that was unlucky and I was feeling like everyone else would be fine but now I realise this is not the case as where I am now, I've been fine and other people who have been up there have suffered. Anyway, only two people were booked on the retreat and I was having trouble finding more. They have ended up cancelling anyway. So now I am just, well deciding whether to go home, if there is any other work I can do while I am here or whether to just have a nice holiday. Given how scared I am about getting bitten again (turns out I also had zika which knocked me), I am going to be looking to stay in a resort or town complex where mosquitos are under control. I'm too nervous to check out air b and b because of my previous experience because the place looked amazing, just no way of telling.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 4:50 pm

Joanne.. I'm also still curious about the local person and are the owners or landlords of the property aware of the issue.. the need to spray not just the house, but the grounds.. and not just once, but over a period of time.

and have you actually been tested for Zika or is that the doctors diagnosis without a bloodtest. just trying to understand.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Sorry sunnie but while I appreciate your interest and help, these questions go far beyond anything I was asking for advice on. I've got a lot to sort out and don't particularly want to be relaying my every move on this forum. I don't see what my doctors assessments or those discussions between myself and the owners of the property have to do with my request for accommodation

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Joanne.. I'm also still curious about the local person and are the owners or landlords of the property aware of the issue.. the need to spray not just the house, but the grounds.. and not just once, but over a period of time.

and have you actually been tested for Zika or is that the doctors diagnosis without a bloodtest. just trying to understand.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 5:01 pm

Just an fyi - the WHO say 80% of people who contract Zika won't even know they had it which was the case for me . I had a bit of a temperature and some itchy eyes but when I go back to the UK and got tested for it I had had it, compared with chikungunya, it really is very mild, the number of people on my island who have issues following zika is very low.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Well the doctor said I had contracted a viral infection from the mosquitos because of the rash, pains in my hands, headache and sickness. He said given how mild it was I most likely had zika but I was recovering fine and there was no treatment anyway so just to control symptoms and hydrate. As I'm not pregnant or likely to be and not sexually active there was no issue.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Not sure why everyone is getting so caught up in my medical business. I only mentioned it to highlight why I am fussy about where I stay.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 8:21 pm

I did actually ask you in a private message, but thought I'd ask here as well.. people are interested because it is an issue .. and because sometimes, many times, people will not be actually tested but will be told they have Zika. or ChicV or dengue.. and without a positive blood test, it's hard to keep track of the real statistics.

and I did ask about the landlord or local person running the retreat, if that was where you were staying because it is an issue.. and they should have sprayed the grounds.. not just spraying in the house. and they will discover that it's not just you the next time someone does come in to use the facility..

and if the doctor was aware of where you were staying they could send someone from the health department to investigate.. it helps everyone.. (the Barbados Environmental Health departure actually will go to houses to check out property if there appears to be a mosquito problem)

but it is your prerogative to not to give the information
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:43 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joanne, the people who contribute here often go off topic for various reasons, some times its for their own personal understanding so that they can help others in future and sometimes its to ensure they can give the best advice. All contributors on this page have shown to be caring individuals who give their time and knowledge for free and are looking how best to help. I understand that you are unwell at present and your energy levels must be really low, this can often make us shorter with people than normal. When you ask for advice you cannot control the OP's questions or concerns so it is fine not to engage if you dont want to in a response, please note that the contributors are just trying to help.

Mosquito infestation risks health and lives in Barbados. The control of it is everyone's concerns and many tourists blights so understanding the infestation and management of it is key to keeping Barbadian locals and visitors alike in the best health

Last edited by Serendipidy; Oct 23rd 2016 at 12:55 pm.