Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Accommodation needed, mosquitos

Accommodation needed, mosquitos

Old Oct 18th 2016, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

JoanneDavies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommodation needed, mosquitos

Hi everyone.

So I am here on a short term work visa for another 6 weeks.

I am supposed to be running retreats at a centre in St Martins.

I am only in the start of my second week but I already have over 100 bites. I have received strong antihistamines and antibiotics and creams but because I keep getting bitten when I sleep, my body is not recovering.

I sleep with the windows closed and I spray myself and the room and sleep in a net now but somehow I still get bitten.

My insurance company has said that if I can find somewhere else to stay that is perhaps a resort or somewhere less rural where they spray insecticide and have air conditioning that it might give my body a chance to recover that it might consider that over just flying me home. It doesn't seem like there are that may mosquitos here, just the odd one or two and during the day it's fine, so potentially I could still travel out here to do my job and other people haven't suffered like I have, so it is still viable.

Does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere I could go for 6 weeks? I looked at a few places like The Club, but it was coming up as around £4000, which I can't afford and the insurance company won't pay.

Figured this forum was worth an ask and also to see if anyone else was experiencing bites to this extent at the moment and what you do about it if you do.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:59 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation needed, mosquitos

where are you staying now?? and ST. Martins where?? St. Philip?? Are you here with a group doing these retreats?? someone else local that can advise??

We also have things called "noseeums".. not mostiquoes but pesky little bitey things , especially in the early evenings.. like between 4pm and maybe 7pm..

regarding another accommodation, The Club is going to be on the higher end of places to stay but I guess it depends on where you are doing the retreats and if you have a car to get there etc...

and have you seen a doctor, or just gotten the medications from a pharmacy.. .. I know you are saying you are sleeping with windows and doors closed, but sometimes that doesn't even help. sleeping with long sleeves and long pants (yes.. I know it's hot....).. just trying to get info..

and what type of spray are you using ???
Old Oct 18th 2016, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sunniebgi.

Thanks for your reply. I will wear leggings to bed tonight and see how that helps but they seem to have bitten underneath my vest and even my face.

I don't have a car so I would need to be staying somewhere that I could get back to St Martin (yes the St Martin in St Phillip) to run the retreats from 12th November onwards and if I get any other bookings so on a bus route or I suppose a taxi wouldn't be that big a deal if it was only a few trips. Just didn't want to be somewhere where I had to bus or taxi to get to everything else I wanted.

I don't want to spend the kind of money The Club is charging as I don't really have it, I have already lost so much on this trip already by booking this place and being too ill to get on it with marketing and stuff. I'm just trying to look at my options instead of just abandoning everything and going home. The reason I looked there was because I figured it was a resort that would have air con and spray the grounds and things on site that would give my bites a chance to heal and my body to calm down. I would definitely consider other places that fit that bill.

The spray I am using for the house is Bop. The things I am using on myself are citronella oil and Go! insect repellent spray.
Yes I went to the doctors. He gave me anthihistamine, antibiotic and anti itching cream and citronella oil. Just said to keep doing what I was doing or to go somewhere where I could stay indoors bug free for a while until my body's histamine response calmed down.

Last edited by JoanneDavies; Oct 18th 2016 at 7:28 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 8:20 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

ok.. The club is on the West Coast and like anything on that side, likely going to be more expensive and farther away. Right now you are in a private house?? or guest house? near St. Martins. The Crane is the closest resort and they do have small, studio type rooms, but it still may be more expensive then you want.

what you are then looking for is something that is close to things to do, grocery etc , which may also mean someplace with an efficiency kitchen to do your own cooking, or at least some. and AC for sure. and then from that spot either bus or taxi to St. Martins when the retreats start..

I'd probably suggest somewhere on the southcoast. lower end of the pricing would be Meridian Inn at the eastern end of St. Lawrence Gap.. Close to the Maxwell Main Road to be able to catch a bus the supermarket in Oistins and even out to St. Martin.

Sothern Surf Beach Apartments , also along the south coast road, Across the road from a Accra/Rockley Beach may also work for you. AC, kitchenette etc..

The problem at the moment will be making sure they are available for the time you are there. These are modestly priced, no frills hotels. but they do have what I think you are looking for.. and yes. they would spray for Mossies..
Old Oct 18th 2016, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi again.

OK thanks.

Yeah The Crane is about £600 per night! Checked out Meridian. It's still up to about £3000 for my stay but maybe I will call them and see if they will do a discounted rate for long term stay. Can't think of anything else.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
ok.. The club is on the West Coast and like anything on that side, likely going to be more expensive and farther away. Right now you are in a private house?? or guest house? near St. Martins. The Crane is the closest resort and they do have small, studio type rooms, but it still may be more expensive then you want.

what you are then looking for is something that is close to things to do, grocery etc , which may also mean someplace with an efficiency kitchen to do your own cooking, or at least some. and AC for sure. and then from that spot either bus or taxi to St. Martins when the retreats start..

I'd probably suggest somewhere on the southcoast. lower end of the pricing would be Meridian Inn at the eastern end of St. Lawrence Gap.. Close to the Maxwell Main Road to be able to catch a bus the supermarket in Oistins and even out to St. Martin.

Sothern Surf Beach Apartments , also along the south coast road, Across the road from a Accra/Rockley Beach may also work for you. AC, kitchenette etc..

The problem at the moment will be making sure they are available for the time you are there. These are modestly priced, no frills hotels. but they do have what I think you are looking for.. and yes. they would spray for Mossies..
Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:38 pm

one of my good friends is one of the managers at Meridian in and trust me, it can't possibly be 1000.00less than The Club.. a couple of thousand less maybe.. .. I have a call in to her, but you now have 3 posts and you can send me a private message. I would need to know the full length of your stay so I an ask her about it. and they usually do work with people who have longer stays..
Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:25 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just sleep with a permanent mozzie net, i can highly recommend the ones ikea sell...
Old Oct 19th 2016, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Just sleep with a permanent mozzie net, i can highly recommend the ones ikea sell...
Thanks, but I already sleep in a net! Somehow they get through.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:00 pm

Joanne .. I responded to your message (2 responses actually).. just want to make sure you received them.

One question. you are staying at the retreat area?? and do they have a gardener or someone locally looking after the facility?? you should be able to tell them what is going on and to ask them to spray.. it's not whats coming into where you are staying, as you are spraying inside the location, but they also live out in the yard area, where water is a breeding spot etc..
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:44 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Mozzies are quite smart, they will climb up under the net if they can, you have to tuck the net under the mattress or better put a piece of knicker elastic round the mattress keeping the net tight against the mattress side. If the net has an opening clip it with clothes pegs. Never been bitten under a net...

Theres always somewhere they can breed, remember a female will fly 2 miles in search of blood and hunts upwind by sensing the co2 you breath out. They live for about a month but are often born after a rainy period and turn into flying insects 10-14 days later.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Oct 19th 2016 at 5:47 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! That's a great tip. I totally left the net hanging free. Silly me.

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Mozzies are quite smart, they will climb up under the net if they can, you have to tuck the net under the mattress or better put a piece of knicker elastic round the mattress keeping the net tight against the mattress side. If the net has an opening clip it with clothes pegs. Never been bitten under a net...

Theres always somewhere they can breed, remember a female will fly 2 miles in search of blood and hunts upwind by sensing the co2 you breath out. They live for about a month but are often born after a rainy period and turn into flying insects 10-14 days later.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Joanne .. I responded to your message (2 responses actually).. just want to make sure you received them.

One question. you are staying at the retreat area?? and do they have a gardener or someone locally looking after the facility?? you should be able to tell them what is going on and to ask them to spray.. it's not whats coming into where you are staying, as you are spraying inside the location, but they also live out in the yard area, where water is a breeding spot etc..
I private messaged you but haven't received anything
Old Oct 19th 2016, 8:18 pm

check your messages again... look under your name in the upper right corner of the page and click on private message.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 2:30 am
Just Joined

acebritty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoanneDavies
Hi everyone.

So I am here on a short term work visa for another 6 weeks.

I am supposed to be running retreats at a centre in St Martins.

I am only in the start of my second week but I already have over 100 bites. I have received strong antihistamines and antibiotics and creams but because I keep getting bitten when I sleep, my body is not recovering.

I sleep with the windows closed and I spray myself and the room and sleep in a net now but somehow I still get bitten.

My insurance company has said that if I can find somewhere else to stay that is perhaps a resort or somewhere less rural where they spray insecticide and have air conditioning that it might give my body a chance to recover that it might consider that over just flying me home. It doesn't seem like there are that may mosquitos here, just the odd one or two and during the day it's fine, so potentially I could still travel out here to do my job and other people haven't suffered like I have, so it is still viable.

Does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere I could go for 6 weeks? I looked at a few places like The Club, but it was coming up as around £4000, which I can't afford and the insurance company won't pay.

Figured this forum was worth an ask and also to see if anyone else was experiencing bites to this extent at the moment and what you do about it if you do.

Thanks.
Hello. I can confidently recommend clearwater apartments. I have stayed here 7 times within 2 years. They have a studio, one and two bedroom apts. The onsite owners Alwin and Ann Browne are great and will even give you a lift to the shops, etc. if needed but the shopping center is also quite walkable, as is enterprise beach (a salt water soak might help those bites), oistins and transport on all three systems. The prices start at $45 pn for fully furnished and equipt units. Here is the link

Take care

Barbados Apartments - ClearWater Apartments

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Barbados.html

Clearwater Apartments
4.5 of 5 bubbles 21 reviews
Cotton Bay, Massiah Drive, Enterprise Coast Road, Barbados
E-mail hotel | Hotel website | 1 (246) 230-1631
Old Oct 20th 2016, 10:36 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of places you can stay for 6 weeks that I can recommend but not really sure exactly what you are looking for is it hotel or self catering accomodation and if its cheaper are you willing to get taxis to the retreat..if the retreat is infested have you thought about relocating it so that your clients dont suffer

Air BnB will have a list of places where you can choose your location and maybe someone on here might be able to suggest a private driver who you can call for your transport

Last edited by Serendipidy; Oct 20th 2016 at 10:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.