Update

Old Sep 25th 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

lola88 will become famous soon enough
Default Update

Don't know if anyone remembers me on here but I posted a few months ago wondering if I should stay or go after having a rough time recently living in the States (Southern California). Well I'm back in the UK! I have been here a week on Friday and so far am loving it! Of course it's very early days and I have a lot to do and experience but so far so good.

Things I like so far:

- NHS - Despite 5 + years away no problem signing up, having my first appointment and using their chemist. Not anticipating a medical bill is wonderful!!
- Banks - Worried it would be a hassle to set up a UK bank account but got one open in around ten minutes at Barclays!
- Food - While Whole Foods and Trader Joe's do rock - nothing beats Waitrose and Sainsburys! Really really enjoying shopping at both of these, the supermarket food is just so much better quality and yummier here. And the prices on many items are indeed lower.
- Countryside - Absolutely wonderful being able to walk across British countryside by leaving the house on foot. Yes the beaches in Southern California are spectacular, but nothing quite beats a lengthy jaunt across good old British countryside!
- Phone Plans - Have a much better phone than I did in the States for around the same price, phone plans are surprisingly more affordable in England.
- TV - Amazed at the high quality television shows I'm finding, no more depressing flicking through mindless reality shows for me!
- The People - Most importantly I am so happy to be around "normal" and "friendly" people here. While it's true that people here don't have the over the top friendliness you'll find in SoCal, what I have found is genuine, down to earth people who are sincerely interested in having a chat or getting to know me without wanting to sell me something or exchange business cards. Also nice being able to have a natter without having to tell my whole life story because of my detected accent. Especially found this when I signed up for an adult education course and just felt like I immediately "fitted in" and didn't stand out at all with the crowd because of my British accent!!
- Support System - My folks moved back to the UK two years ago and it just wasn't the same without them. True they do drive me nuts but I'm loving being in the same country as them again! I really didn't appreciate their support and company until it was gone, wonderful to have it back again!

I haven't got a job yet and I'm sure I'll change my tune at least slightly when the winter months set in - but so far I'm very happy I made the move! I will provide a further update in the months to come - hopefully by which time I'll have a job and be even more settled in - fingers crossed!!

Last edited by lola88; Sep 25th 2013 at 4:59 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update

lola88,

Congratulations on the move!!! So good to hear that its "so far, so good" I really appreciate the update, thanks so much for taking the time to post. I relate so much to the things you are enjoying so far, many of them are things I miss about the UK.

Please keep updating!!!
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NiHao
lola88,

Congratulations on the move!!! So good to hear that its "so far, so good" I really appreciate the update, thanks so much for taking the time to post. I relate so much to the things you are enjoying so far, many of them are things I miss about the UK.

Please keep updating!!!
I'm glad you appreciate it! Thank You I will definitely be updating once I'm more settled
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it's all going well, Lola!
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:25 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

That is great news. So pleased you are happy with your move.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lola88
Well I'm back in the UK! I have been here a week on Friday and so far am loving it! Of course it's very early days and I have a lot to do and experience but so far so good.

Things I like so far:

- NHS - Despite 5 + years away no problem signing up, having my first appointment and using their chemist. Not anticipating a medical bill is wonderful!!

- Banks - Worried it would be a hassle to set up a UK bank account but got one open in around ten minutes at Barclays!

- Food - While Whole Foods and Trader Joe's do rock - nothing beats Waitrose and Sainsburys! Really really enjoying shopping at both of these, the supermarket food is just so much better quality and yummier here. And the prices on many items are indeed lower.

- Countryside - Absolutely wonderful being able to walk across British countryside by leaving the house on foot. Yes the beaches in Southern California are spectacular, but nothing quite beats a lengthy jaunt across good old British countryside!

- Phone Plans - Have a much better phone than I did in the States for around the same price, phone plans are surprisingly more affordable in England.

- TV - Amazed at the high quality television shows I'm finding, no more depressing flicking through mindless reality shows for me!

- The People - Most importantly I am so happy to be around "normal" and "friendly" people here. While it's true that people here don't have the over the top friendliness you'll find in SoCal, what I have found is genuine, down to earth people who are sincerely interested in having a chat or getting to know me without wanting to sell me something or exchange business cards.

-Also nice being able to have a natter without having to tell my whole life story because of my detected accent. Especially found this when I signed up for an adult education course and just felt like I immediately "fitted in" and didn't stand out at all with the crowd because of my British accent!!

- Support System - My folks moved back to the UK two years ago and it just wasn't the same without them. True they do drive me nuts but I'm loving being in the same country as them again! I really didn't appreciate their support and company until it was gone, wonderful to have it back again!

congrats & trust every day gets better for you

On the points posted about - they are a keeper & if it was me I'd date it, print it out & frame it to remember why I came back home.

When something ticks you off about being back in the UK & you yearn to go back to the states (give your head a shake) & read whats on the wall while playing Roger Whittaker 'the Last Farewell'
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old

congrats & trust every day gets better for you

On the points posted about - they are a keeper & if it was me I'd date it, print it out & frame it to remember why I came back home.

When something ticks you off about being back in the UK & you yearn to go back to the states (give your head a shake) & read whats on the wall while playing Roger Whittaker 'the Last Farewell'
Thank you for your suggestion and you're absolutely right I'm going to copy and paste my points and if I ever get down in the future and "wish" I was back in the States I will look to these! Good suggestion!!!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lola88
Don't know if anyone remembers me on here but I posted a few months ago wondering if I should stay or go after having a rough time recently living in the States (Southern California). Well I'm back in the UK! I have been here a week on Friday and so far am loving it! Of course it's very early days and I have a lot to do and experience but so far so good.

Things I like so far:

- The People - Most importantly I am so happy to be around "normal" and "friendly" people here. While it's true that people here don't have the over the top friendliness you'll find in SoCal, what I have found is genuine, down to earth people who are sincerely interested in having a chat or getting to know me without wanting to sell me something or exchange business cards. Also nice being able to have a natter without having to tell my whole life story because of my detected accent. Especially found this when I signed up for an adult education course and just felt like I immediately "fitted in" and didn't stand out at all with the crowd because of my British accent!!

I haven't got a job yet and I'm sure I'll change my tune at least slightly when the winter months set in - but so far I'm very happy I made the move! I will provide a further update in the months to come - hopefully by which time I'll have a job and be even more settled in - fingers crossed!!

Handy stuff to know! I hope my obs are the same in the very near future!

Best wishes
Old Sep 27th 2013, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

FullCircle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lola88
I love a happy ending (or should I say beginning?). I'm new to the forum so went back and read your original thread along with with all the helpful advice from other forum members. I'm so glad you took their advice as there seem to be lot of young people who are torn between going home and staying with a partner in a country they're not happy living in. Now you're back and you can meet a nice down to earth 'English Bloke' and start the next phase of your life. All the very best, I look forward to reading your updates.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FullCircle
Hi lola88
I love a happy ending (or should I say beginning?). I'm new to the forum so went back and read your original thread along with with all the helpful advice from other forum members. I'm so glad you took their advice as there seem to be lot of young people who are torn between going home and staying with a partner in a country they're not happy living in. Now you're back and you can meet a nice down to earth 'English Bloke' and start the next phase of your life. All the very best, I look forward to reading your updates.
Thank you so much
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:36 am
Just Joined

pain_au_chocolat is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Update

Hi Lola88,

Thanks for the super update. It was very helpful and uplifting for those of us enviously, er, I mean patiently waiting for our chance to go home. I'm also going to read back and see everyone's helpful advice to you.

Great idea from Not2old (shouldn't that be Never2old?!) to keep the list handy for when we may question our decision.

P