Update after almost 2 years

Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

KevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really nice
Default Update after almost 2 years

Hi Gang,
Just a quick update, after all the problems of getting the bank account sorted, we were very lucky to get a rental from people who had also returned from NZ, so bypassed the references. After a year in Norfolk, we decided that there was nothing left there for any of us, 8 years is a long time and everyone we knew, although seemingly keen to welcome us back, had no place for us in their lives. We made a decision to move closer to family and opted for Cornwall over Yorkshire. We found a house, and luckily the Halifax did a mortgage acceptance on 1 years accounts. So we now live on Bodmin Moor, been a few months - but the locals are friendly - the local pub is great and I hope we might finally settle here.
The dog and cat are happy, and seem to be losing their kiwi accents.
My wife misses our eldest daughter, still in Wellington, and her Mum and Dad, stuck in New Plymouth, but none of us regret leaving NZ.
Just need the big lottery win to cap it off .
Good luck to anyone on their way home.

Kev
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update after almost 2 years

Originally Posted by KevinS
Hi Gang,
Just a quick update, after all the problems of getting the bank account sorted, we were very lucky to get a rental from people who had also returned from NZ, so bypassed the references. After a year in Norfolk, we decided that there was nothing left there for any of us, 8 years is a long time and everyone we knew, although seemingly keen to welcome us back, had no place for us in their lives. We made a decision to move closer to family and opted for Cornwall over Yorkshire. We found a house, and luckily the Halifax did a mortgage acceptance on 1 years accounts. So we now live on Bodmin Moor, been a few months - but the locals are friendly - the local pub is great and I hope we might finally settle here.
My wife misses our eldest daughter, still in Wellington, and her Mum and Dad, stuck in New Plymouth, but none of us regret leaving NZ.

Kev
Thanks for posting.
We too are thinking our time in Norfolk is done and are wondering where, in UK, to move to next.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

KevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really niceKevinS is just really nice

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Thanks for posting.
We too are thinking our time in Norfolk is done and are wondering where, in UK, to move to next.
We did a lot of deliberation, we also wanted to rent first - but unfortuately it is very difficult to find a decent property that will accept pets. I think you need to have some reason to settle in a place - be it family / good friends / job, without some foundation it will be no different than where you are now. I am still travelling for work - but at least I know my family have back up when I am away. Another big thing was finding an affordable house in a nice area, but I am rambling once again. Good luck with the search - I can recommend Cornwall, the people are just so friendly.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting. I like to hear from folks who have been back for a while. All the best.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Thanks for posting. I like to hear from folks who have been back for a while. All the best.
Won't be long before you'll be posting in this section ...
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KevinS
Hi Gang,

Kev
Well done thats a good update.
So Bodmin is a real place then? I've been watching Doc Martin.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, One never knows... The 3-4 month trip next year will tell me a lot. But for me in UK it still comes down to work. I am getting grad certificate and I know there is employment in Ireland. There is lot I like about US but at end of day loneliness can kill your mind, spirit and very being... that's where I'm at.. But I'm doing fine - I love kids I work with so that helps..
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well done thats a good update.
So Bodmin is a real place then? I've been watching Doc Martin.
Went to Port Isaac the other week, where they do most of the filming - walked past his house and the old school restaurant is used as the school - great fish and chips!!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

oh all my old haunts! The old inn is great isn't it lovely village St Breward, another pub to recommend id the Racehorse in Northhill that used to be my local, great food as well! the area between Bodmin and Dartmoor is beautiful as well as the North Coast have you done much walking? some great coastal walks as well across the moor our dog loved a particular walk from Boscastle as well as Cardinham woods!

Happy times!!!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Great to read these positive posts from people who have taken the plunge and gone back.

I am still busy working through the list of things to be done before we go - it's helping keep me sane. Always did love a list and a clear out!

My sister in law has a caravan in Norfolk so maybe we'll end up there if we can't find a rental!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Echoing the others who have said thanks for posting as it really is great to hear from those back home. Cheers and good luck.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

KevinS... .. .. Yes it really does help those who are waiting to go home or having some problems when they get home to read positive posts from those who have settled. Sounds like a lovely place. I will think of you next time I watch Doc Martin always think thats a lovely area. Thankyou for the post.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Pleased that you have settled in Cornwall, spent two weeks there last year, loved every minute !!!
Hope you will be very happy there, all the best
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you're enjoying Cornwall... that's where we're heading next year. My family are in Falmouth and Truro and I have more in Devon too so it seems like a great place to be. Congrats on your move and new house!