Moving back biggest mistake

Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back biggest mistake

Certainly wasn't a mistake for me to move back.......wild horses wouldn't drag me back to live in Australia again.

...and the UK still looks OK to me......if anything things have greatly improved since I was a youngster many years ago
Old Nov 30th 2015, 9:08 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

In what way has Britain deteriorated during your lifetime and how is it related to the 'imperial attitude'?

Germany is also one of the 'top nations' as you put it. That would be because it is the world's fourth largest economy, and the UK is the fifth.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I am not suggesting that we should have hung on to India. I am suggesting that many people still have the imperial attitude but that we have no Empire.
The UK has deteriorated in many ways in my lifetime but that is no argument for trying to hang on to our position as one of the "Top Nations"
Germany too lost an Empire, but have learned to live in the modern world.
What modern world are Germans living in then, that's so much better than UK? People live in small overpriced shoe boxes, eat processed food and hope they might get a pension one day.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

German pension provision is much better than in the UK. Public transport is incomparably better. The education system caters to everyone and is not skewed to favour a small elite.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

German pension provision is much better than in the UK.

It would have to go some to be better than mine
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:17 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

German pension provision is much better than in the UK. Public transport is incomparably better. The education system caters to everyone and is not skewed to favour a small elite.
You are still dodging the question. What is the link to our loss of Empire?

Incidentally, Germany's social mobility statistics are not very good compared with other developed countries. Ours are much worse, but it is wrong to say that there is no privileged elite in Germany.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your first two points but the third is not well put.

As you know there are 3 streams of schooling after the age of 11 based on the dreaded Empfehlung given by the Grundschiule in the pupils' final year.

As a valid rule of thumb, only the children who go on to Gymnasium will later attend a Universitaet and thence have a shot at "the elite" to use your term.

At least the UK got rid of the 11+
Old Nov 30th 2015, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the UK figures, but have you actually heard what's going on in Germany these days. Ever heard of Altersarmut? In Germany many pensioners can no longer afford to rent, due to increases and it's not like the UK where most people own a home. As you can see, Germany is not better than the UK, compared to other OECD countries.
Die durchschnittliche Ersatzquote, also das Verhältnis der Rente zum Einkommen, in den OECD-Ländern, zu denen neben den europäischen Industrienationen beispielsweise auch die USA, Japan, Australien und Neuseeland gehören, beträgt 69 Prozent, d. h. die durchschnittliche Rentenhöhe in den OECD-Ländern beträgt 69 Prozent des Einkommens. Unter diesem Durchschnitt liegt neben Schweden, Großbritannien und Irland auch Deutschland mit gerade einmal 58 Prozent.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anenglishrose
Hi to everyone,

What a mistake I can't believe what I have given up. My husband is also very unhappy back here.
To return to the original post, can you explain in more detail what it is about the UK that you don't like? I'm genuinely curious, because I've been living in France for many years and am considering moving back myself at some point.
I've only just started taking trips back, with a view to scouting out possible places to live, and so far, the only real negative I've noticed is litter (specifically on the streets of Cardiff!).
The weather of course is pretty awful, but it always was. What I really noticed the couple of times I've been back is how easy it is to get chatting to complete strangers. Even in central London.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am not suggesting that we should have hung on to India. I am suggesting that many people still have the imperial attitude but that we have no Empire.
The UK has deteriorated in many ways in my lifetime but that is no argument for trying to hang on to our position as one of the "Top Nations"
Germany too lost an Empire, but have learned to live in the modern world.
I'll take today's Britain over the one of the days of empire... sounds to me that you're the one trying to hold on to a bygone age.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We lost an Empire but have not found a new role. I am not the first to make that judgement.http://quotationsbook.com/quote/12281/
For so many in GB, the default position seems to be straight out of "The Daiiy Mail". Colonel Blimp rules !
I still say that things are much better in Germany ! Our Blimps simply cannot stomach the idea that Germania has sorted things out while GB is in a real mess.

Last edited by scot47; Nov 30th 2015 at 4:20 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

We lost an Empire but have not found a new role. I am not the first to make that judgement.Great Britain has lost an Empire and has not yet found a role... - Quote
For so many in GB, the default position seems to be straight out of "The Daiiy Mail". Colonel Blimp rules !
I still say that things are much better in Germany ! Our Blimps simply cannot stomach the idea that Germania has sorted things out while GB is in a real mess.
A quote made a mere 44 years ago... maybe the world has changed a little since then. And maybe things aren't as black and white as you like to claim.

I realize you have a particular "agenda", but really it has little to do with the subject of this thread.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 30th 2015 at 4:34 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

During the time of the British Empire the colonies were exploited for the benefit of the British economy. However the resulting wealth was not evenly distributed and there was profound poverty in the UK also. Since that time the welfare system has ensured that no one in the UK should starve or be without medical care. The economic situation will certainly vary from year to year. What has become worse in my opinion is crime, drug and alcohol addiction and general anti-social behaviour, some of which happens because individuals have more money to spend.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

We lost an Empire but have not found a new role. I am not the first to make that judgement.Great Britain has lost an Empire and has not yet found a role... - Quote
Dean Acheson said that in 1962. Whether he would still say it more than fifty years later is another matter. You really are living in the past.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:23 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Bipat
During the time of the British Empire the colonies were exploited for the benefit of the British economy. However the resulting wealth was not evenly distributed and there was profound poverty in the UK also. Since that time the welfare system has ensured that no one in the UK should starve or be without medical care. The economic situation will certainly vary from year to year. What has become worse in my opinion is crime, drug and alcohol addiction and general anti-social behaviour, some of which happens because individuals have more money to spend.
The statistics are against you on crime, which has dropped dramatically since the mid-nineties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.