First Update

Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:55 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Update

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Excellent news on the B&B and the job search. Well done for making things happen. I'm sure I'd just want to stroll along eating chocolate and pies and sausage rolls and crisps watching the lambs skipping about in the fields.
Oh trust me it takes self control to stop myself popping into Greggs every time I walk past and picking up a sausage roll or some other delectable yummy although I went to Poundland today and I won't tell you what I bought
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

That's so funny you should mention perhaps taking a video because as I was reading your earlier post I was just thinking to myself "I wish WhoFan63 would post a video"

I hope you do and its probably easiest to load it onto youtube and then post a link here

I think you need to start a blog too so you have a record of your daily adventures!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVED poundland. Such great prices. I applied there when I was there but never heard back from them. I am sure the job center will give you some leads on employment.
Another reminder, I just stood in a pile of red ants and got bitten several times! I also walked my dogs, had to drive to a place where I could walk them without neighborhood dogs chasing me and nearly got bitten by a copperhead snake! Walking in the woods is out until October now, too many snakes.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Aww bless. I'm better than a sleeping pill . I just came back from a walk and from watching the lambs jumping about. It's so much fun when they jump on all fours . So sorry to hear about your Anzac Day. It Gould t still be hot there should it?? Take a cool shower and head to bed

One of these days ill take my video camera, go on the top deck and record the journey on the bus lol. Once I figure out how to post it on BE lol
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just read your thread and thought this might help, it has loads of info on jobs for the council and even volunteer work (to help get a reference etc while your finding work) www.yourcounciljobs.co.uk/oldham

If your in any of the Delph,Diggle or Saddleworth villages then know wonder your happy, its a lovely area, there is a great pub in Denshaw (with a great farmers shop attached) honestly the food is really "home made" the views are lovely (although the should upgrade their outside area to cash in on the views) and a lovely tea shop which sells Cup Cakes etc in Saddleworth is a place well worth the visit. Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2013, 11:47 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Just caught up with your thread and wanted to quickly say DONT MOVE TO OLDHAM!! My husband is from Oldham and we still have some friends there who would leave if they could afford to. There's just nothing positive about it at all. In fact, recently it was the only non-London area that appeared in a list of the UK's unhappiest areas. It's not only run-down and grim, but there are also real problems with violent crime, even in the 'nice' areas.

Definitely stick where you are or somewhere similar
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Here's hoping the job center interview went well today. You have sooo many people pulling for you to be able to find a job, get settled and be worry free. Just wanted to tell you I am thinking of you.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
Here's hoping the job center interview went well today. You have sooo many people pulling for you to be able to find a job, get settled and be worry free. Just wanted to tell you I am thinking of you.
Yes, yes, waiting for an update
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:16 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Just caught up with your thread and wanted to quickly say DONT MOVE TO OLDHAM!! My husband is from Oldham and we still have some friends there who would leave if they could afford to. There's just nothing positive about it at all. In fact, recently it was the only non-London area that appeared in a list of the UK's unhappiest areas. It's not only run-down and grim, but there are also real problems with violent crime, even in the 'nice' areas.

Definitely stick where you are or somewhere similar
I think that's why I'm sticking where I am. I don't mind going into Oldham to work or go to the shops, but I definitely wouldn't live there. It's definitely run down and looks a mess right now because they're putting in the tram line through the center of town, so lots of traffic hassles and blocked roads. Apart from that I've not had any major issues, but I will admit to loving the fact I get on a bus and there's a certain corner when the bus turns and it's as if you've stepped into a totally different place. I love to come home to my oasis in the country Heck, I'd even consider working in Middlesborough if it meant I didn't have to work in Oldham. But so far I'm starting off close and working my way out. Working yes, but living no!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:25 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by morayeel
Thanks love...well the job center interview was interesting! My advisor is called Imran and he seems a nice enough guy. Naturally because I've been gone so long I had to fill out the 'Habitual Resident' paperwork and they looked my name up on the system to see if I had an NI number, but nope, no luck there! I'm all signed up on the 'government gateway', which means that I can look on the 'Universal Jobmatch' web site and find all sorts of jobs they've posted. By doing that my advisor can also see what jobs I've applied for and he can post jobs he thinks I might be interested in. I can also post on there all my jobsearch activity and that way my advisor can see what I'm doing and we can talk it over each time I see him.

I have to be willing to travel 90 minutes each way for work. I have to write to at least 1 employer per week, phone at least 2 employers per week, visit at least 2 employers per week, check my Universal Jobmatch account 7 times per week and look into the local papers every week. I had to sign an agreement that said I will spend 3-4 hours per day looking for work.

I have to go back and see him again next Tuesday and he'll tell me more then. I've also asked about any courses that they can offer me to bring me up to date with UK admin and secretarial skills.

I don't know how long it takes for the 'Habitual Resident' paperwork to be processed, but I guess I won't hold my breath. Hopefully I can find a job even before the paperwork gets processed and then I won't even need to worry about it.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:27 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Yes, yes, waiting for an update
Well this morning I went to the job center appointment, but before I got there I did what I promised and took my video camera. lol. I'm in the process of uploading it to You Tube right now. I had to stop a couple of times because naturally the bus stops and people get on, so didn't want to keep recording while that was going on, so there might actually be two videos. If I can figure out how to splice them together I will, and turn them into just one video.

Hopefully it doesn't shake too much, because as you can imagine it's not easy to keep a camera still when you're on the top deck of a double decker.. lol Will post again once they're able to be viewed
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:30 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi just read your thread and thought this might help, it has loads of info on jobs for the council and even volunteer work (to help get a reference etc while your finding work) www.yourcounciljobs.co.uk/oldham

If your in any of the Delph,Diggle or Saddleworth villages then know wonder your happy, its a lovely area, there is a great pub in Denshaw (with a great farmers shop attached) honestly the food is really "home made" the views are lovely (although the should upgrade their outside area to cash in on the views) and a lovely tea shop which sells Cup Cakes etc in Saddleworth is a place well worth the visit. Good luck
Hiya...yes I'm in Diggle and actually go through Dobcross, Uppermill and Saddleworth a lot. They're such gorgeous little places and if I ever won the lottery I'd definitely buy a house there. Hmm, will definitely have to find that tea shop you mentioned, although this afternoon I did go into an old fashioned sweet shop in Uppermill and it was like going back to my childhood. lol

Thanks also for the link. Definitely going to be checking that one out too.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Well this morning I went to the job center appointment, but before I got there I did what I promised and took my video camera. lol. I'm in the process of uploading it to You Tube right now. I had to stop a couple of times because naturally the bus stops and people get on, so didn't want to keep recording while that was going on, so there might actually be two videos. If I can figure out how to splice them together I will, and turn them into just one video.

Hopefully it doesn't shake too much, because as you can imagine it's not easy to keep a camera still when you're on the top deck of a double decker.. lol Will post again once they're able to be viewed
Good news about the job center. Hope they get you sorted soon. Looking forward to the video(s)!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. My sister(in Scotland) is currently on JSA. She says there are a lot of rules when receiving job seekers. Many rules and if you don't follow them they can deny you benefits! She currently receives housing allowance and currently, long story. she has been moved onto ESA. Not sure what that stands for but she is an alcoholic and is going to get detox. She has received so much help, she would receive NOTHING here in the States unless she had great insurance. When I was back last year I filled out the habitual residency form. It took about 3 or 4 weeks to hear back from them. Actually I went to the council because I had not heard back and they made a few phone calls. I hope you hear back soon. I hope you can also get some training . I know you are skilled already but anything helps. Just a friendly reminder, its getting HOT out here and last night I set up my wildlife camera which I got at a yard sale and now I know why my dogs bark so much at night. Got a photo of a wild pig !! Luckily I have a fenced in yard for the dogs!! Take care and fingers crossed you find a job. I made copies of my CV and handed them into surrounding shops when I was there. I had a couple of interviews but never got hired but at least I was in receipt of Job Seekers. Just wish the law hadn't changed and my husband could of come over to the UK Take care love.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:13 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Okay.... as requested...drum roll...by popular demand ...home made video's

This first one is while I was waiting for the bus this morning before heading into Oldham. I thought I'd pan around and show you what I see every time I wait for the bus.. LOL

http://youtu.be/2vP1Il4webI

This second video is actually on the bus. Sorry if it's shaking, but it's hard to hold the camera still when you're on the top deck.. Because the bus stopped at some stage to pick up a number of people, I actually stopped recording and then carried on once the bus started moving. So this first segment is from Diggle to Uppermill.

http://youtu.be/B-M7-_61yDs

This last video is just the remaining trip from Uppermill to Greenfield. The rest of the journey is pretty standard heading towards Oldham...no more lovely country lanes...lol, so I didn't bother filming from Greenfield to Oldham...lol

http://youtu.be/efOQvk3rTXw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.