First Update

Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Update

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Thanks love....all those web sites you mentioned, I've already been on and check regularly Something will turn up..in fact a little while ago I saw the guy who'd moved into the flat here at the B&B and he was leaving with some boxes, so maybe he's moving out? maybe his wife took him back? No-one is home to ask right now, but as soon as I see someone I'm going to be nosey enough to ask.
You go for it girl !!! good luck
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

oh I hope you feel better. All the flying, time changes, climate changes will make you more likely to catch a cold. I hope you feel better SOON. I also am praying for you that you will find somewhere to rent soon as I know that is such a worry. When I moved back (for the brief time I did) I was fortunate that my sister knew the letting agency so they rented to me without credit checks etc etc . In the pound shops ( if there is one near by) they sold lots of different cold meds. Take care and so many are thinking of you and hoping all the best for you.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:35 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by morayeel
oh I hope you feel better. All the flying, time changes, climate changes will make you more likely to catch a cold. I hope you feel better SOON. I also am praying for you that you will find somewhere to rent soon as I know that is such a worry. When I moved back (for the brief time I did) I was fortunate that my sister knew the letting agency so they rented to me without credit checks etc etc . In the pound shops ( if there is one near by) they sold lots of different cold meds. Take care and so many are thinking of you and hoping all the best for you.
I think my body is finally managing to catch up, although today I don't know if I was just run down because of the cough/cold or whether jet-lag finally managed to grab me as it was the first time I'd actually not been anywhere, but I ended up just curling up on the bed and snoozing for a few hours.

I did hear back from that one agency, but it doesn't look like they'll even consider me because of the lack of history. Oh well, at least I gave it a go, and it wasn't totally unexpected. Of course all the room shares that I'm contacting have already gone, but there's always tomorrow! Being Sunday things are on a go slow mode today.

Oh and if anyone is interested, Walkers Worcestershire sauce flavoured crisps are absolutely yummy.. I went back to Tesco's the other day and bought a 22 pack for £3.00 and they have cheese and onion, Worcestershire sauce, prawn cocktail, ready salted and salt and vinegar. Have to love on the packets when it says 'made with real Cheshire cheese'
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I think my body is finally managing to catch up, although today I don't know if I was just run down because of the cough/cold or whether jet-lag finally managed to grab me as it was the first time I'd actually not been anywhere, but I ended up just curling up on the bed and snoozing for a few hours.

I did hear back from that one agency, but it doesn't look like they'll even consider me because of the lack of history. Oh well, at least I gave it a go, and it wasn't totally unexpected. Of course all the room shares that I'm contacting have already gone, but there's always tomorrow! Being Sunday things are on a go slow mode today.

Oh and if anyone is interested, Walkers Worcestershire sauce flavoured crisps are absolutely yummy.. I went back to Tesco's the other day and bought a 22 pack for £3.00 and they have cheese and onion, Worcestershire sauce, prawn cocktail, ready salted and salt and vinegar. Have to love on the packets when it says 'made with real Cheshire cheese'

Those crisps sound delicious!!!

Are you able to get the Sunday paper? Maybe there will be some flats advertised in it. Just a thought . . .
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you're sick Hopefully that will pass soon. I'm sure your body has gone into a bit of a shock because of the weather. I'm sure it was also hectic for the few weeks leading up to your move so now your body is asking for some calm!!!!! Drink lots of tea and stay warm I luckily didn't get sick after moving here from LA but my OH got a HORRIBLE chest infection.

Good luck with finding somewhere to live. we ended up having to pay a year in advance..............nightmare. Thank goodness our house sale in LA went through in time.

Oh and yes the crisps!!!!! HEAVEN!!!!!! Walkers definitely are the best brand out there
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:20 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britwhore
Sorry you're sick Hopefully that will pass soon. I'm sure your body has gone into a bit of a shock because of the weather. I'm sure it was also hectic for the few weeks leading up to your move so now your body is asking for some calm!!!!! Drink lots of tea and stay warm I luckily didn't get sick after moving here from LA but my OH got a HORRIBLE chest infection.

Good luck with finding somewhere to live. we ended up having to pay a year in advance..............nightmare. Thank goodness our house sale in LA went through in time.

Oh and yes the crisps!!!!! HEAVEN!!!!!! Walkers definitely are the best brand out there
Thanks love...yes, it definitely felt like my body was telling me to slow down after all the hectic stuff going on before my trip.

I doubt I would be able to rent privately because unfortunately I don't have the money to put even 6mths down up front, unless I can find an agent willing to give me a chance! Oh well, will just keep looking and something will turn up at just the right time.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:18 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks love...yes, it definitely felt like my body was telling me to slow down after all the hectic stuff going on before my trip.

I doubt I would be able to rent privately because unfortunately I don't have the money to put even 6mths down up front, unless I can find an agent willing to give me a chance! Oh well, will just keep looking and something will turn up at just the right time.
Yes it will. I wonder if the B&B owners would consider giving you a reduced rate for a long term stay. Maybe they're doing that already or you've already asked. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm glad you're feeling better. You had a lot of stress before the flight, then the flight changes and then the mighty trek across the atlantic with all that bad air circulating for 10 hours, then being in a place foreign to your immune system. Not surprising you had to take to your bed.

Keep on keeping on, as my father used to say. It's all going to work out fabulously!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:25 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Yes it will. I wonder if the B&B owners would consider giving you a reduced rate for a long term stay. Maybe they're doing that already or you've already asked. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm glad you're feeling better. You had a lot of stress before the flight, then the flight changes and then the mighty trek across the atlantic with all that bad air circulating for 10 hours, then being in a place foreign to your immune system. Not surprising you had to take to your bed.

Keep on keeping on, as my father used to say. It's all going to work out fabulously!
I'm not paying a reduced rate...just the regular B&B rate, so when I can catch hold of the lady landlord..lol, I'll ask her more about a discounted long term rate, or even find out how much they'd charge for just the room without the breakfast and I can take care of breakfast myself. LOL

I agree...where one door closes, someone opens a window !
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:58 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Well here's a further update! I just happened to finally catch Mrs J (I'll call my landlady that for her privacy..lol) and mentioned to her about the possibility of me staying longer term. That's when she apologised for the flat not being available but as he was a friend they felt sorry for him and didn't want to turn him away! So I told her that I totally understood and would have done the same.

Anyway, I asked what would be the possibility of getting a reduced rate for just the room and not the breakfast, and I could take care of that for myself. She said "I can't see why not - let me talk it over with Mr B and see what we can do'. She went on to say they can even have a microwave put in the room for me so I can actually have warm meals at night

So we had a good chat, and now it's up to the pair of them. I'll just have to wait and see what they offer.

I've had a brilliant day today! I went out early this morning to visit a friend in Mossley, which was two buses and a train to get there. Not as bad as it sounds as it's a 10min bus ride for the first trip...the train only needs to go one stop and then the next bus takes less than 5 minutes, so it's not as though I were travelling for hours. LOL It's just a matter of co-ordination.

Even though the sky was filled with rain clouds I'm pleased to say that I actually did the entire trip without getting wet. LOL. Once again I had fun chatting to people at the bus stop and even the bus driver dropped me off closer to the street I have to walk up to get to the B&B, rather than drop me off at the actual stop and have me walk up a slight hill. He said "its not much - but better than walking up the hill' We even had a joke, because I'm always the last one left on the bus and he said 'are you on the right bus love?'. Yes I replied. He went on to tell me that some people get on the bus without looking at the front to see where the bus is going and there are two buses with the same number. One terminates at Diggle and other goes through to Huddersfield. So apparently he gets people getting on the bus for Huddersfield and then looking surprised when they end up in Diggle, and vice versa!

So that was my day ! I got to learn some new areas, new buses and caught the train for the first time. I've done it once, so next time won't be a problem. I'm good that way - once I learn how to get to a certain place I don't need directions after that. LOL

Oh and I'm having a friend back in AZ pop into the local Wells Fargo and tell them about their £20 notes. They'd given me over £220 in old notes, which I only found out recently are no longer legal tender so they can't be used. Luckily I went into the Bank of Scotland (first bank I came to) and they changed them over for me. The lady at the bank was super nice and said that normally they ask that the person have a bank account with them, as they put the money in the bank and then they have to draw it out again, but she just looked around the bank and said 'Shhh, don't tell anyone'

I'm now back in my room, large cup of tea in my hand and a couple of Jammy Dodgers and I'm ready for the night's TV viewing How was everyone else's day??
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Well here's a further update!
Everyone sounds so nice and helpful I've been gone so long I can't remember if it always was this way Or maybe it's just your part of the country I'll tell you one thing, it's certainly not that way here

You sound so much better, getting healthier by the minute it seems Hoping for the best from Mrs J
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Everyone sounds so nice and helpful I've been gone so long I can't remember if it always was this way Or maybe it's just your part of the country I'll tell you one thing, it's certainly not that way here

You sound so much better, getting healthier by the minute it seems Hoping for the best from Mrs J
Sounds the same as here everyone being so friendly NOT. I found people in the U.K. so friendly,when someone offered help,it took me back as I am not used to it here in Oz
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Sounds the same as here everyone being so friendly NOT. I found people in the U.K. so friendly,when someone offered help,it took me back as I am not used to it here in Oz
Good to know it is still the same. Going back next year for a recon visit for the first time in nearly 25 years.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:24 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Well here is Update number, whatever number I'm up to..

I went out early this morning and caught the bus into Oldham. Followed other people off the bus because I had no idea where I was going so figured someone would lead me in the right direction and I could always ask if i got lost.lol. I apparently got off at the right place because I was right where I wanted to be (near the big shopping center) I had a bit of a wander, had my hair cut, checked out the shops, found where the job center is and after about 3 hours I caught the bus back. I'm getting quite good at catching buses.. lol

When I got back I caught up with Mrs J, who said she and Mr B had a chat last night and this is what they came up with: I could stay at the B&B in my room, and cater for myself and for £120 per week that would include everything, from electricity, water, Internet, TV. They're also going to either give me a microwave so I can do some hot meals at night, or they're going to do up the back kitchen for me. It must be the kitchen they used before they remodelled and put the new one in! It's apparently right across from my room and I never noticed because the door is always locked. They also said I could use their washer which uses solar power and doesn't cost anything with electricity, although they might need to get it checked because even on the quick cycle it's taking 90 minutes to do a cycle. It does 11kgs worth of stuff so I said that in return I'd do my own laundry and the sheets and the towels and that way get a full load. Just like I would if I were renting a flat!

I also mentioned about the power outlets because right now there is just two near the wall which take the TV and the fridge, so if I want to make a brew I've got to carry the kettle over near the bathroom and plug it in there, where there are another two outlets. I mentioned that, because if they do decide to just go ahead and put a microwave in here, I'm either going to need a power board or the microwave is going to go near the door where the wardrobe (hanging space) is. I wanted to bring that to her attention because I didn't want to plug something in and blow a fuse, and I didn't really want to have to unplug the fridge to plug in the microwave, cook something and then unplug the microwave and plug back in the fridge. LOl

So once again Mrs J is going to chat to Mr B about what they can do. Seems like the best option is putting the microwave into the old kitchen. It all depends on what they have in there and whether it can be used.

While I was having my hair cut I was chatting (as you do) to the hairdresser and she mentioned about a place called Greggs who were always calling out for more staff...so after my hair was done I walked down there and went in. They said it's all done online now, so they gave me the web address. It would be a great place to work because it's a bakery and as you walk in the door all you can smell are delicious pies, sausage rolls and cakes.

I could work in Oldham, but from what I saw I couldn't live in Oldham. It's very run down. But then again that was the center of town, so wouldn't be living in the middle of town.. As with anywhere else, there are the good parts of town, and the bad parts of town.

So for now I'm staying where I am ! Besides, it's such a wonderful feeling to get on the bus and once you get out of Oldham to turn that corner and you hit those quaint little streets and shops and you see those beautiful hills and the sheep Feels like coming home!

I also opened a bank account this morning and had no problems whatsoever. I went into Lloyds TSB (I'd actually emailed them from the US before I left and asked about the difficulties I might face opening a bank account with no job). I just handed over my UK passport, told them I was living at a B&B so that address was put in as my home address, but my mailing address was put down as my friends address, so any mail will go to her. I will ask Mrs J though about putting this address down and if they'd have a problem getting any mail for me here? I've never seen a mailman since I've been here, so I don't know whether they come up here or whether there's just a PO box they use. Another question for me to ask!!

Now I feel a little more settled on the home front, I can concentrate now on registering for work. The sooner I get a job, the sooner I can stop worrying about running out of money.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I went out early this morning and caught the bus into Oldham. Followed other people off the bus because I had no idea where I was going so figured someone would lead me in the right direction and I could always ask if i got lost.lol. I apparently got off at the right place because I was right where I wanted to be (near the big shopping center) I had a bit of a wander, had my hair cut, checked out the shops, found where the job center is and after about 3 hours I caught the bus back. I'm getting quite good at catching buses.. lol

When I got back I caught up with Mrs J, who said she and Mr B had a chat last night and this is what they came up with: I could stay at the B&B in my room, and cater for myself and for £120 per week that would include everything, from electricity, water, Internet, TV. They're also going to either give me a microwave so I can do some hot meals at night, or they're going to do up the back kitchen for me. It must be the kitchen they used before they remodelled and put the new one in! It's apparently right across from my room and I never noticed because the door is always locked. They also said I could use their washer which uses solar power and doesn't cost anything with electricity, although they might need to get it checked because even on the quick cycle it's taking 90 minutes to do a cycle. It does 11kgs worth of stuff so I said that in return I'd do my own laundry and the sheets and the towels and that way get a full load. Just like I would if I were renting a flat!

I also mentioned about the power outlets because right now there is just two near the wall which take the TV and the fridge, so if I want to make a brew I've got to carry the kettle over near the bathroom and plug it in there, where there are another two outlets. I mentioned that, because if they do decide to just go ahead and put a microwave in here, I'm either going to need a power board or the microwave is going to go near the door where the wardrobe (hanging space) is. I wanted to bring that to her attention because I didn't want to plug something in and blow a fuse, and I didn't really want to have to unplug the fridge to plug in the microwave, cook something and then unplug the microwave and plug back in the fridge. LOl

So once again Mrs J is going to chat to Mr B about what they can do. Seems like the best option is putting the microwave into the old kitchen. It all depends on what they have in there and whether it can be used.

While I was having my hair cut I was chatting (as you do) to the hairdresser and she mentioned about a place called Greggs who were always calling out for more staff...so after my hair was done I walked down there and went in. They said it's all done online now, so they gave me the web address. It would be a great place to work because it's a bakery and as you walk in the door all you can smell are delicious pies, sausage rolls and cakes.

I could work in Oldham, but from what I saw I couldn't live in Oldham. It's very run down. But then again that was the center of town, so wouldn't be living in the middle of town.. As with anywhere else, there are the good parts of town, and the bad parts of town.

So for now I'm staying where I am ! Besides, it's such a wonderful feeling to get on the bus and once you get out of Oldham to turn that corner and you hit those quaint little streets and shops and you see those beautiful hills and the sheep Feels like coming home!

I also opened a bank account this morning and had no problems whatsoever. I went into Lloyds TSB (I'd actually emailed them from the US before I left and asked about the difficulties I might face opening a bank account with no job). I just handed over my UK passport, told them I was living at a B&B so that address was put in as my home address, but my mailing address was put down as my friends address, so any mail will go to her. I will ask Mrs J though about putting this address down and if they'd have a problem getting any mail for me here? I've never seen a mailman since I've been here, so I don't know whether they come up here or whether there's just a PO box they use. Another question for me to ask!!

Now I feel a little more settled on the home front, I can concentrate now on registering for work. The sooner I get a job, the sooner I can stop worrying about running out of money.
Great post :-) I have loved reading about your steady progress and indomitable spirit!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Greggs is a very well-known well-run company with a huge customer following. One of the biggest players in UK food service.

Not sure if you have checked their website yet:

http://www.greggsfamily.co.uk/

Seem to be plenty of different job categories.

and 50% off (after a year):

http://www.greggsfamily.co.uk/about-us/our-benefits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.