Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Old Jul 11th 2015, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back two years - where did the time go?!!!

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Have to agree with you Perth I like you love the cooler weather I hate the hot summers here in Adelaide when it's very hot day I stay in with aircon and blinds down. My daughter is the opposite loves the heat !!
When I got off from work today the inside of my car was 112 degrees F I'm sure I will have a moan about the cold from time to time, but I won't be sad to leave this weather from hell behind
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:40 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Considering the roof over your head could be less expensive, but you would be close enough to go to the UK anytime you wanted to, it seems like a win-win situation to me. Good luck with your research. Keep us up to date
I will do! I'm not terribly unhappy where I am but I do find it is becoming very 'yuppified' recently. There are loads of trendy new shops and restaurants which is great (house price going up!) but it's SO crowded. I've stopped going out at the weekends as you have to fight your way along the High St, there's literally nowhere to park (even with a parking permit) so if you come home after 8pm you have to park miles away and walk home in the dark which is quite off putting.

Even though I own my flat it's leasehold so I have to pay ground rent and yearly maintainance to the freeholder and my upstairs neighbour is a demented old bat who has made my life miserable for 16 years! She was away for a whole week last month and it was bliss, no banging from upstairs, no nasty notes under the door and I could leave my flat without having to check the hallway to make sure she wasn't there as she keeps me for hours complaining about stuff - drives me mad!!!!!

My social life is better now but I still only go out occasionally so I'm not sacrificing anything there and I can catch up with the friends in London that I do have when I pop over for work. I've not got a lot of time to look into atm as I'll be leaving soon but I'm doing my research which is quite nice actually and gives me something to focus on and plan for
Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
I will do! I'm not terribly unhappy where I am but I do find it is becoming very 'yuppified' recently. There are loads of trendy new shops and restaurants which is great (house price going up!) but it's SO crowded. I've stopped going out at the weekends as you have to fight your way along the High St, there's literally nowhere to park (even with a parking permit) so if you come home after 8pm you have to park miles away and walk home in the dark which is quite off putting.

Even though I own my flat it's leasehold so I have to pay ground rent and yearly maintainance to the freeholder and my upstairs neighbour is a demented old bat who has made my life miserable for 16 years! She was away for a whole week last month and it was bliss, no banging from upstairs, no nasty notes under the door and I could leave my flat without having to check the hallway to make sure she wasn't there as she keeps me for hours complaining about stuff - drives me mad!!!!!

My social life is better now but I still only go out occasionally so I'm not sacrificing anything there and I can catch up with the friends in London that I do have when I pop over for work. I've not got a lot of time to look into atm as I'll be leaving soon but I'm doing my research which is quite nice actually and gives me something to focus on and plan for
I understand what you mean by the crowds! Even though we are technically out of the city of Tampa, the whole of Florida is like a creeping fungus of humanity, so that even if you started off in the depths of nowhere it doesn't stay that way for long. As for the house, we own outright, and some people think we are crazy to give that up to go rent somewhere. But you know, what good is it if you are miserable? Social life? What's that?
Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:43 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you mean by the crowds! Even though we are technically out of the city of Tampa, the whole of Florida is like a creeping fungus of humanity, so that even if you started off in the depths of nowhere it doesn't stay that way for long. As for the house, we own outright, and some people think we are crazy to give that up to go rent somewhere. But you know, what good is it if you are miserable? Social life? What's that?
But if you found your happy place you could possibly own outright again! You have to rent at first to find out where you want to be and that's truly the sensible option.

I e-mailed the ROI ambulance service today just to ask a few questions about registration and work rotas plus I asked if it would be possible to pop over and spend a day with a crew just to get an idea of what it's like. Will let you know if anything comes of it x
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

But if you found your happy place you could possibly own outright again! You have to rent at first to find out where you want to be and that's truly the sensible option.

I e-mailed the ROI ambulance service today just to ask a few questions about registration and work rotas plus I asked if it would be possible to pop over and spend a day with a crew just to get an idea of what it's like. Will let you know if anything comes of it x
True enough. We are playing it by ear. Good luck with your plans. Will keeping popping in for updates.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha! Yes of course, ooohhhhh arrrrrrrr!

Mind you after just getting back from the most amazing weekend in Ireland (my Dad was from Galway) bar hopping in Dublin, chatting to the locals (THE most friendliest chattiest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting), seeing the amazing house prices - 3 bed house with a balcony overlooking a canal for £50,000 - plus they're recruiting paramedics in Ireland I feel another move may be on the cards. Watch this space...........
Sounds like a deal to me. I didn't know Ireland was so cheap. I have found my dream property 'up North like.' Problem is trying to get a mortgage on it from over here which I'm actively pursuing. Seems like many people on BritExpats have the same concern. for me
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:33 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Sounds like a deal to me. I didn't know Ireland was so cheap. I have found my dream property 'up North like.' Problem is trying to get a mortgage on it from over here which I'm actively pursuing. Seems like many people on BritExpats have the same concern. for me
The UK seems to have toughened up on lending quite a bit over the past few years. I'm not offering an expert opinion here, as others may have found different, but I was listening to a very heated discussion on Radio 2 a while back and people who had a house AND equity were being turned down for extra lending if they were late 40's/early 50's and/or self employed. I fit into that category so I was surprised to discover I might not be able to move to a house from a flat in the UK as I might not be able to up my current mortgage.

One woman sold her place and moved in with her parents, late 40's, had a good deposit/income but was now stuck as no one would give her a mortgage. A good friend of mine just bought her first property at 48, it was around £200,000, she put down £60,000 but they would only give her a 17 year mortgage so her repayments are quite high.

It's just something I never considered really! Yes Irish property is quite cheap since the crash but it's on the up. Not a decision I would take lightly as due to poor sales there and lending criteria here it would be highly unlikely I'd ever be able to move back if I changed my mind - again!!

Fingers crossed for you though, I often look at house prices up north and go green with envy!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:34 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Perth.
I'm curious. Do you feel the social life is poor in the Tampa area?
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Hi Perth.
I'm curious. Do you feel the social life is poor in the Tampa area?
Hello! It all depends. If you have children in school, particularly little ones, that's where you develop most of your social life. The gym is another place, if you take classes like zumba or step. Other than that church I suppose (don't go myself). I made friends working on a political campaign some years ago. Or perhaps if you are into artistic pursuits, like music - OH plays jam sessions at an Irish bar.

I guess it is the same as anywhere really. If you don't have family here, other than those who live with you, it can be limiting. It's definitely up to you to go out and find friends. There is not much of a neighbourhood spirit here. Probably too hot to be out of the house for longer than walking to the mailbox, let alone long enough to talk to someone next door out in the garden!

Are you thinking of moving here? Happy to answer any questions you may have.