Back home, and it's heaven!

Old Aug 30th 2022, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home, and it's heaven!

I, a born & raised Brit returned to the UK after living in NYC for thirty years. My US born wife insisted on coming with me, can’t really blame her, I’m adorable! In all seriousness though I had given serious thought to returning home for a while but the time didn’t seem right especially as I had a rent stableized apartment in Manhattan, which believe me are like gold dust & are hard to give up.

But, after being made redundant at the beginning of Covid & also being around retirement age, my wife & I after much discussion thought “why not? let’s go for it!”

So, here we are, in jolly olde & so far so good, my wife especially loves being here. Lots of new things for her to adapt to, learn about etc but as I say she loves it here! I bought a cottage in a North Yorkshire market town (pop. 6000) eight years ago and my wife is loving setting up a cozy home for us both, new appliances, wood flooring downstairs to replace a beat up carpet, it’s all coming along nicely. We have a small back garden & instead of listening to the sounds of sirens all day in NY all we hear now is birds & the occasional lawn mower.

Of course I’m not happy with the political situation at home & the rise in energy prices & the inflation, but I along with many others can remember ice on the inside of our bedroom windows in the winter so we’ll wear an extra sweater, I know millions of people will have it worse than us unfortunately. So far the only downside to returning home is after 30 years away I renewed my season ticket for my team & so far we have yet to win this season, very worrying!
Old Oct 14th 2022, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brightongirl
We're not really in a position to do a trial run because my partner runs a business and once it's sold & shut down it'll be time to move on.
I think my parents have valid points about the NHS. I very much respect the system and safety net that the NHS provides for the UK citizen. I'm appalled by the callousness of the US system where a few hospital stays can bankrupt a person if they aren't fortunate enough to have health insurance for one reason or another, but I won't allow myself started to get wound up about the subject!
I won't dismiss my parents' warnings about the NHS; we plan to budget for a private plan to give us a little more choice and to ease us into the system - as I do have some health concerns. Thanks!
I'd be curious to find out if the NHS is that much better than Medicare in the US. I have been saving into an HSA to pay for extra medical costs on top of medicare. The NHS does scare me at the moment when you read the newspapers
Old Oct 14th 2022, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I'd be curious to find out if the NHS is that much better than Medicare in the US. I have been saving into an HSA to pay for extra medical costs on top of medicare. The NHS does scare me at the moment when you read the newspapers
If you read the newspapers anywhere it's going to scare you. Fact is that every country will have issues and while some systems might bankrupt you and others seem cheap, you can't judge the quality of a whole system and every person working within that system. I always say it and more important is that the person treating you knows what they are doing. You can go to the most fancy clinic with the best equipment and no waiting times, but what is it worth when the person treating you gives the wrong treatment? As Brightongirl mentioned, might make sense to have a private plan to make it a bit easier to get appointments as waiting lists can be very long.
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 8:40 pm
lds
Just Joined

lds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Goonergirl
Hi everyone, we've been back in the UK now for nearly 16 months. During 12 years in the USA I didn't think I ever really felt homesick but it wasn't until I was back that I realised that I had been. We've moved to Somerset, an area where neither of us had any history or association, it's proved to be a great decision. We purchased a home sight unseen (only via facetime), which we're very happy with, and we've been welcomed with open arms and are fortunate enough to have wonderful neighbours.

The stress of the moving back process, plus pandemic travel, plus cat transportation has now passed (it stayed with us for quite a while), and with the warm spring we're currently enjoying we've been able to get out and about a bit more exploring our county, and it's outstandingly beautiful. This was our last move, and that in itself feels like a great comfort.

We've got a great local doctors surgery, efficient NHS (yes! I was surprised too after all the negative comments I'd read), 10 minutes walk from the "High St", choice of 5 supermarkets and two great chippies to choose from. Our favourite chippie knew our names and remembered our regular order after the first three weeks of being back , only a small thing, but made us feel great lol. We are a small town of only 9500 people, but our facilities are fantastic.

I recognise of course, that being newly retired, I'm living my best relatively stress free life! It would be entirely different if I had to look for work and endure 40 hrs in the office with a busy commute. However, for us, it's been the best decision ever to return!

Lastly, a word of thanks to all the forum experts who answered questions when asked. Much appreciated.

Best wishes to all.
Congratulations on successfully moving back. I hope things are going well.

How did you purchase a home without having a credit rating?
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lds

I think you can pay cash if you don't need a mortgage
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you could get a mortgage without a credit rating, but the best option would be to consult one (or several) mortgage brokers for advice.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also to note. I left in 2008 and still have a reasonable credit score in the UK. The other trick is to have an Amex card and use global transfer to get a credit history.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 7:48 pm
lds
Just Joined

You're very fortunate to have been able to keep your credit score. I've been gone for 20 years and no longer have my NI number, am no longer on the voting register, you name it I'm gone from it.

I do have American Express and could look at the global transfer option, providing I don't need bags of savings to maintain a ridiculous balance.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 7:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lds
You're very fortunate to have been able to keep your credit score. I've been gone for 20 years and no longer have my NI number, am no longer on the voting register, you name it I'm gone from it.

I do have American Express and could look at the global transfer option, providing I don't need bags of savings to maintain a ridiculous balance.
How do you mean - no longer have NI number? Those numbers are for life. If you’ve mislaid your number, it’s easy enough to retrieve it.

As for the electoral register, as soon as you move back to the UK, you get back on the register..
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

And open a bank account, get a credit card, set up some direct debits (phone contract, etc.). If you have a job, this will also add to your credit score. It'll probably take time to find a house to buy, so in the meantime you will be building a credit score.
Forum Regular

Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lds

Yes, things continue to go well. You can purchase a house with cash, no need for a credit rating by that route. I did however keep a good credit rating in the UK throughout my years in the USA.
lds
Just Joined

Ooops, finger slip. I do have an NI number. Even got my original NI card!
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 8:08 pm
lds
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Goonergirl
Yes, things continue to go well. You can purchase a house with cash, no need for a credit rating by that route. I did however keep a good credit rating in the UK throughout my years in the USA.
Mind me asking how you managed to keep a UK credit rating?
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Goonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond reputeGoonergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lds
Mind me asking how you managed to keep a UK credit rating?
I didn't actively do anything. Had a good rating when I left in 2009 and it was practically the same number when I returned in January 2021. Kept my UK bank account and credit card open throughout and used them from time to time on occasional visits back, apart from that nothing specifically.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 8:37 pm
lds
Just Joined

Very smart. I had zero forward thinking when I moved over here and closed everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.