Back from Australia.

Old Dec 27th 2015, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back from Australia.

I returned to the UK in January, so about a year ago now. We were always very happy in Australia and we had always been happy in the UK too. Our move was for an adventure and I was never really sure if it would be forever. We moved back for a few reasons, better work options, better finances (the OH occupation meant we had to live in Sydney) and whilst not missing family on a day to day basis, there was a sense that we could look back in years to come and feel like we missed out on some things.

We still had our UK house, so that part was quite easy. Although it had not been looked after well by the last tenants and we did a fair bit of work and redecoration to get it feeling like ours again. We went out to Australia with a 40foot container, but after some serious downsizing we came back with a 20ft one. We also returned with three cats, two Aussie ones and the one that went out with us in the first place.

I spent the first few weeks living in an apartment in London as the house was empty, husband still in Australia and I just didn't feel like being there alone and furniture less in January. I remember thinking that London was looking absolutely fantastic, so beautiful, especially my first taxi ride into the city from airport at about 5am.

I secured a job before we returned after two telephone interviews and I started the new job on a Friday after landing back that Tuesday. The Friday start was to attend a team building day. The OH returned a couple of weeks after me and continued to work for his Australian employer remotely up until about July, then he had a month off and then started a new job. My job in the end didn't pan out the way I hoped due to major restructure. So after four months I quit and I also decided to quit the corporate world altogether. After pondering what kind of business I would open up instead, coffee shop, cattery etc, I had a brainwave and decided to set up as an accountant. Just not a corporate one any more.

We were sad to leave Australia and miss it but we try not to think about it too much. A few things I miss are: the sea and sea views, work culture (we noticed immediately that in London people sit at their desks and refuse to go home at a sensible time even when they are not busy for appearances sake), good gyms and swimming pools, Gold Class cinemas, Sydney just generally, great domestic holiday options.

But it was incredibly easy to fit back in, took no time at all, certainly nothing like the initial adjustment when going the other way. A lot of people moving to Australia say they are going for the outdoors, but we can honestly say we have spent more time outdoors this year than we ever did in Australia. We are in the garden more and we do far more outdoor activities, walking, hiking and we are planning to get cycling in the new year too.

We are going back to Australia on holiday in a few months, I am looking forward to it a great deal. But also worried that it will be a bit sad and trigger regret, which we thankfully we don't currently have.
Old Dec 27th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back from Australia.

Nice update. Always good to hear the different experiences of those returning to UK..
Old Dec 27th 2015, 11:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a lovely update and thanks so much for sharing.

It's uplifting for those of us still deciding where will be best in the future.

Very pleased to read you have settled back well. Just enjoy the Oz holiday for what it will be. A holiday.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your life back in the UK. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so pleased - and relieved - to hear that everything is well with you, BS. You seemed to just disappear one day and I feared that something bad had happened as no-one seemed to know where you had gone.

Good luck with your new venture. I gave up a high pressure accountancy job to move to Oz six months ago and haven't missed it for a minute. Like you, we moved for an adventure and that starts properly next month as we will then be nomads for as long as it takes to get the wanderlust out of our systems! After that, who knows, but I'm confident we'll be fine whether we end up in England or Australia. It's good to know that all has worked out for you and your OH.

Last edited by louie; Dec 28th 2015 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh BS, I must've missed your move back but just noticed you weren't on the board giving your usual fabulous advice. Good to hear that it has worked out for you!

I'm visiting Aus for the second time in 4.5 yrs (only a fortnight the last time) - no regrets at all at the moment! It is a very surreal feeling though, its just the same as when I left! My UK life now has more stresses due to family pressures but I wouldn't change it for the world. So hope you enjoy your return holiday!
Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with everything BS. New series of Death in Paradise starts tomorrow, it's a documentary ya know, just like WDU
Old Jan 9th 2016, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Good read that. Happy to read it has all panned out well.

We're now starting to think about the move back after five years. Very similar to you in that we love 'home' and left for the adventure. I'm sure there would be regrets and we often wonder if we are mad. But we had a good life in uk with family around Europe and as our kid was born in Aus we want to have some family around us.

And we'll be citizens this year so we can always move back.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 4:28 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post, BS - thanks for sharing. It's good to hear things are working out well for you. Good luck for the future.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Great post.

We miss gold class too! We have been back once and managed to fit in a gold class trip, planning a return visit this year and also hoping to get to gold class!

Funnily enough, I had major issues with a colleague in Aus over her habit of staying at her desk long after clocking off time just to prove how important and overworked she was (having arrived late and spent all bloody day chatting, going for coffee - physically leaving the building - and surfing the net. I had the desk behind her so saw it all!). I saw evidence of it, though, in the couple of professional jobs I went for on our return to the UK and it was a huge factor in my decision to swap careers completely. I don't regret the change at all. Best of luck with your new business.