Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back a year and a half from Auckland.

Back a year and a half from Auckland.

Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Back a year and a half from Auckland.

I can't say it's been easy and I wanted remain positive about the move but it's been a total eye opener for us after living in NZ for twenty years.
I work in FE which is being demoralised and chopped at every turn and the Tories are dead set on selling it all off along with the national health. The Gap between wealth and poverty is growing expentially year on year and don't get be fired up with social care. At the risk of sounding like the grim reaper Britain has been duped and the meadia plays a significant part in dumbing down the masses, they work hand in hand with the Tories . My partner and I left when thatcher was doing her worsed, we had an idea that attitudes and ideas had changed but I am frightened for this country and its People, their voice has been stolen and paid shut up benifits. If you can get out .....stay out take your culture with you. So massive regrets, but something I had to do to realise what I was homesick for is quite simply not there anymore.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Back a year and a half from Auckland.

Sounds like John Key to me.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

Yes you might be right, I'm not advocating that one moves to NZ now.

Last edited by kiwibrit101; Jan 31st 2016 at 8:12 am.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Establishment are intent on dismantling all the improvements made post-1945. Atlee and Bevan were in power when there was real austerity, but in that period the NHS was established and we saw a lengthy period of full employment.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:29 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you're suggesting that work is disappointing and demoralising, because of funding and government policies maybe, but what about other aspects of life? The reason I ask is that I came back to the UK as a retiree last year. I hear about the kind of woes you allude to on the radio news etc. but I suppose it's hard to relate to since I'm not in the workplace myself.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Well yes I guess if you are not in the work place, you do not have children in the education system or connection to anyone vulnerable that requires support. Then you don't need to think about Social justice or equality. But at the risk of sounding pious, even though I am not directly effected by the above issues, other than working in FE. I find it hard to ignore such blatant unfairness. I think if people knew the real facts they would be horrified at how we are letting our children down. The amount of 16 and 17 year olds that cannot tell the time for example is alarming.
Other aspects of life ......the train system is packed and you will pay top dollar to stand all the way.
A ticket to the theatre in London will cost you a hundred quid.
Cheap food is cheap, good food is exspensive.
The pub culture is just about wound up.
I really do think the country has suffered at the hands of an entonian boys club, who are only interested in lining their own pockets.
After all said and done, if you are well heeled or have enough of and income to keep you out of the workplace and the public health system. Then "you'll be alright Jack"
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm finding public transport brilliant - but again, being retired, I tend to travel in the middle of the day when services are less stressed and cheaper. For instance, going to London from Norwich, I'd typically take a train leaving between 11 and 2. Most seats are empty. (Not saying that's necessarily a good thing either.)

I agree with most of what you say. However, remember everyone goes through life's stages. Being retired implies you've been through all of the fraught earlier stages you mention. Being retired doesn't mean you don't think about social justice or equality any more, but there is the countryside, the seasons, wildlife and other aspects of life's rich tapestry too. Being closer to death forces you to put current public policy issues in some context.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101
Yes you might be right, I'm not advocating that one moves to NZ now.
I know. I didn't take your opening post that way. It is just that I see the exact same in this current NZ self-interested government. I suppose I feel some of the same way. NZ is failing a lot of its children . Christchurch is not being properly supported. Suicides are on the up again. Selling NZ to overseas companies....

....that sort of thing. I suppose same poop , different bucket but it bothers my sense of social justice to see and read what happens here. That pertains to local government level too. Some of that is shocking.

I think maybe it is all about what is important to one's own self. We cannot stop the world from changing. The style of goverment has changed. People vote in those governments.

I'd say feel annoyed at what you perceive to be happening but perhaps find a way to understand that you need to accept what you cannot change and what you cannot change is the world as it is now. I'd say that but I rile against it too sometimes instead of what I should be doing which is looking to my own life and the lives of those I love.

Hope you find some peace and contentment Kiwikaye. It is a very hard journey you have made.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101
I can't say it's been easy and I wanted remain positive about the move but it's been a total eye opener for us after living in NZ for twenty years. I work in FE which is being demoralised and chopped at every turn and the Tories are dead set on selling it all off along with the national health. The Gap between wealth and poverty is growing expentially year on year and don't get be fired up with social care. At the risk of sounding like the grim reaper Britain has been duped and the meadia plays a significant part in dumbing down the masses, they work hand in hand with the Tories . My partner and I left when thatcher was doing her worsed, we had an idea that attitudes and ideas had changed but I am frightened for this country and its People, their voice has been stolen and paid shut up benifits. If you can get out .....stay out take your culture with you. So massive regrets, but something I had to do to realise what I was homesick for is quite simply not there anymore.
Sorry you feel that way, for us it has been a completely different experience, its not been easy at times (a move never really is either way but we expected that) but we have kept on going and are happy to be here with all the experiences life here in the UK and Europe can offer. I don't let anyone dumb me down, all governments have agendas and while one government works for some it does will not work for others hence changes in government. I enjoy visiting big Cities both in the UK and overseas and while I enjoy them I personally would not live in them, way to busy, way to expensive etc. You now know what you want and it's not life here in the UK so a good thing has come out of a bad experience (a life learning curve) you could now go back to NZ and be happy about returning to your life there. Good luck