Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Back Home
Reload this Page >

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back 3 Months After 22 Years Away

Originally Posted by fulwood
The only thing I hate is every year I live my life, all is well, check my bills all okay.. They bam.. Bloody internet company charges me 2 or 3 times what I should be paying. Several years of my life pass by while I deal with gross incompetence until I have to get to the "loyalty" dept. "As you have been a loyal customer for 20 years we can do this for you... I can feel it in my bones that a screw up is gonna occur very soon..
This has happened to me quite a few times - usually with cable TV or Internet or both. I HATE it, too! Why should I have to fight to get what I agreed to in the first place!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

KittyB52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going back to pleasantries in shops, when we were last back in the UK a few weeks ago, a sales assistant in Debenhams greeted us with "You guys alright?" I know we've moved on (sadly) from customers being referred to as 'Sir' or 'Madam', but guys? Really? I think NOT.

I turned 40 earlier this year and seem to have gone straight into Hyacinth Bouquet mode. This doesn't bode well.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I turned 40 earlier this year and seem to have gone straight into Hyacinth Bouquet mode. This doesn't bode well. [/QUOTE]

Ha, ha ha, it happens to all of us,whether we like it or not!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KittyB52
Going back to pleasantries in shops, when we were last back in the UK a few weeks ago, a sales assistant in Debenhams greeted us with "You guys alright?" I know we've moved on (sadly) from customers being referred to as 'Sir' or 'Madam', but guys? Really? I think NOT.

I turned 40 earlier this year and seem to have gone straight into Hyacinth Bouquet mode. This doesn't bode well.
You should have put on your best David Walliams voice and said "We're not guys, we are Layyy-dees"
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I went into a lovely discount clothing/shoes/household good store the other day where I always enjoy finding nice things to store up for birthdays etc. The girl serving was a bit distracted; the usual chatting youngsters do with their co-workers.....but conscious no doubt that she is also supposed to be a bit "familiar" with the customer she said "& how is your day today?" (pretty good thanks, yourself?) put a few items in bags, & in exactly the same tone said " & how is your day today?". put the rest of the items in bags saying "wow you have bought a lot haven't you?"
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:50 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by London1947
Please allow me to reply to your question about sales people that jump on you as soon as you hit the door. I worked for a major retail company in the US and employees are told that they must approach a customer within a certain amount of time, if they don't they can get written up and sometime be fired for not doing so. The major retailers employ and send in secret shoppers to make sure that they are greeted within the specified time, so the next time you do shopping in the US you will now understand why.
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that disgraceful. I can understand the employer being concerned about the potential for lost custom if that person walks out the door without buying something, but to make it a rule for their employees is ridiculous. Next they'll be blaming the employees if the customer doesn't buy anything, even IF they approached the customer within a certain period of time. Another reason why I think that US companies are all about the mighty dollar !!!!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that disgraceful. I can understand the employer being concerned about the potential for lost custom if that person walks out the door without buying something, but to make it a rule for their employees is ridiculous. Next they'll be blaming the employees if the customer doesn't buy anything, even IF they approached the customer within a certain period of time. Another reason why I think that US companies are all about the mighty dollar !!!!
Of course it's about the mighty dollar. They do blame the employee's if the customer doesn't buy, that's the way retail business works in the US. There has been many a time that I had to write someone up as they didn't make their quota. And don't think for one moment that I as a manager didn't get written up when my sales staff didn't make their quota's. So that's why you are
(pestered) when you walk into a store in the US. And that's why a lot of British business's fail for the opposite reason. Sure it happens in the US but in the US they re-invent themselves pull up their socks and get on with business. That does not happen here in the UK because nobody gives a dam. The UK I'm afraid to say is a lazy country because of the benefit system in place.Sorry but that's the way it is.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 1:30 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Same thing in Australia. We call it getting pounced on.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:00 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LostinJax
That is a useful tip. One slight problem, there is no branch of HSBC within a 25-mile radius of where I live in the US. As yet, I haven't checked out whether it is possible to open an account on line.

I think you should also bear in mind that not everyone has had the financial and career success you have enjoyed in your time in the US or runs a business that can easily transfer from the US to the UK.

So while your move has gone swimmingly, and good for you, other people less fortunate than yourself may be struggling with the transition back to the UK.

With no job, soon to be divorced and nearly 60, I expect to struggle when I return and take a massive hit in my standard of living, being unable to own a house is just one example.
You can open an account online. I haven't been inside a bank for years - it's how I opened mine. You can also do it by phone if you prefer.

I'm not sure why you think I don't take into account that other people have different circumstances than mine. I can't count how many times I have posted caveats and warnings to that effect. Perhaps I should make it part of my signature

The bottom line of my advice to returnees is always the same: be realistic about your situation and what it will mean in the UK. Be aware of the struggles you'll face and plan for them - or be realistic and decide not to go. Planning is everything in my opinion but too many people gloss over their concerns, convincing themselves that things will be OK. They then spend a huge amount of money coming home, and disrupt their entire lives, only to find it's not what they expected. Think, plan and then think and plan some more. That's my advice and it has nothing to do with career success.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 19th 2013 at 7:05 am.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:05 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campervanfan
I went into a lovely discount clothing/shoes/household good store the other day where I always enjoy finding nice things to store up for birthdays etc. The girl serving was a bit distracted; the usual chatting youngsters do with their co-workers.....but conscious no doubt that she is also supposed to be a bit "familiar" with the customer she said "& how is your day today?" (pretty good thanks, yourself?) put a few items in bags, & in exactly the same tone said " & how is your day today?". put the rest of the items in bags saying "wow you have bought a lot haven't you?"
One thing that's a little surprising here in the UK is how honest some sales people are. We were ordering a fridge online and had to call to ask a question. The guy on the Currys phone line looked up the fridge and then said "A Yank fridge eh? This one is way too American for me." Well, thanks for sharing!

Then when the movers arrived at our new house, one said' good grief, you're out in the sticks here aren't you?' Again, thanks for sharing!

It doesn't bother me - it's just one of those oddities that you notice.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

It's been one year since I posted here about my intended move back to the UK after 30 years in the US one poster asked me to keep the thread informed as to how we are doing with the move back.

For me it was and is a big mistake. There are just to many things that I find not to my liking I suppose I really underestimated the whole situation. I now do not have the funds to buy a property so I have to rent. In the US the owner of the property has to pay the taxes the tenant does not, however the renter in the UK has to pay "council tax". I also had no option but to get a car and the cost of running the car is expensive petrol is running approx Eight (8) dollars a gallon.

Car Insurance is high as one hasn't lived there for so many years, I did get a letter of experience from my US agent but it doesn't carry to much weight in the UK.

Customer service personal with any company are rude and if you have to wait for service to anything you are looking at 4-6 weeks. I find the streets dirty and filthy litter and trash everywhere at night you see people urinating in the streets, cigarette butts eveywhere. I suppose if one goes back to the UK with enough funds their outlook may be somewhat positive, but I have seen nothing positive from my point of view.

There is always some scandal going on. The last one was the horse meat scandal. Of which the British public thought they were buying 100% beef it turns out that horse meat has been sold as beef, not just over the past few months but for years.

My wife and I have just come back to the States for family and friends for a couple of months and boy what a difference. One last point for those of you who are duel citizens and unsure what passport to use. I can tell you now after talking with Homeland Security at Dulles airport near Washington DC you MUST use the passport of the country you are entering, I'm only saying this that over the years people that have two passports UK/US are always concerned which one to use.

So back to the UK in July

John
Old May 24th 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry the move has not been a good one for you. What part of the UK are you living in and where were you in the US? Is it at all possible for you to make the move back to the US?

If you can't move back to the US could you move to a nicer part of the UK?

Has the move been any easier for your wife or does she feel the same way.

It must be really hard to make a big move like that and be unhappy with it.

Do you have advice for others on what to be aware of or things you would have done differently?
Old May 24th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean move back to US in July and not the UK?
Old May 24th 2013, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NiHao
I'm so sorry the move has not been a good one for you. What part of the UK are you living in and where were you in the US? Is it at all possible for you to make the move back to the US?

If you can't move back to the US could you move to a nicer part of the UK?

Has the move been any easier for your wife or does she feel the same way.

It must be really hard to make a big move like that and be unhappy with it.

Do you have advice for others on what to be aware of or things you would have done differently?

My Wife is a city girl 63 years young from New York so moving to a rather dead town in South West Devon can be distressing for her. Yes, the countryside is wonderful and the quint thatched villages are very photogenic but that's as far as it goes.

Before I met my Wife she lived in Washington DC and i lived in Northern Virginia about 30 miles from DC. No, we don't have the funds to make the move back to the US Thousands were spent getting there and making her a legal resident in the UK.

We moved there in September last year and to honest my Wife hates it in every aspect and she is a self proclaimed Anglophile. She has been on vacations to the UK every year since the 1960s, but different living there. I for one born and bred in Northampton UK and emigrated to the US in 1983 so I'm familier with both sides of the pond.

John

The advice I would give anyone wishing to make a permanent move to the UK wherever you choose to be with the exception of London is what monies you have DOUBLE IT then you may be able to afford the cost of living.
Old May 26th 2013, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry it has turned out to be be the wrong move for you and your wife. It sounds as if its the area you picked as much as it being the UK. An equally quiet location in the US would be just as unsuitable for you, perhaps in time you can look to making a move to a decent size town in another area of the UK.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.