15 month update

Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 15 month update

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Actually, it's a hidden affordable gem and I remain convinced there must be other places like this in the UK. It's cheap compared to places like Harrogate or Ilkley, or to anywhere in the Dales, because we're in a Bradford postcode. But we're miles from Bradford in a valley that we call the hidden valley - no tourists, no traffic but very close to the M65, which is a fast motorway to Manchester and further west.

The only neighbour who will have to deal with traffic every day is the one who commutes into Bradford - that's a tough one because it's all A roads.

The downsides are that we can get snowed in during winter and the roads never get cleared (too small), there's no public transport and no shop unless you drive at least 10 minutes. Also, we're uncomfortably close to Lancashire
Yes there are a huge number of other places like that in the UK.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:12 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Which is interesting because the Commission for Integrated Transport has found that Britain has the worst traffic congestion in Europe, which certainly tallies with my experience. You wouldn't think this could happen in a country with a "huge number" of places like this.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

...............That's why I think anyone considering moving back has to do a really thorough analysis of what's important to them and then assess whether they can attain that if they move back. Look at the number of people who move from somewhere warm and sunny and only realize that's important to them once they get back here - that should have been determined before ever making the move.
This is vital. I know that my decision is the right one, because only a congenital idiot would go through this procedure without being very sure. For me it is an obstacle course....in a minefield. Not one process has not thrown up a problem. Not one.

Originally Posted by Zen10
I lived in a chocolate box wonderland in one of the nicest parts of the country and I worked in a so-called beautiful city as well, and after 12 months of commuting I'd started looking into emigration. Endless gridlock, road works, unbelievable road rage, tail-gating, totally unaffordable petrol, and double yellow lines everywhere when I got in causing a long and miserable search for a parking space. If you've found somewhere where none of these things exist I presume housing is not affordable because demand would be too great.
Seek and ye shall find hell!

Well we found a place that isnt even remotely like that and housing is affordable.
How can that possibly be?

Chocolate box wonderlands; all of them! When you leave these walled compounds, that's when you hit the barbed wire!

Which is interesting because the Commission for Integrated Transport has found that Britain has the worst traffic congestion in Europe, which certainly tallies with my experience. You wouldn't think this could happen in a country with a "huge number" of places like this.
I knew it! I just knew it!!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:24 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Seek and ye shall find hell!
And how expensive hell was, with mid-terraces with no central heating at $300,000.

I knew it! I just knew it!!
Seriously, if you have done more research than the CIT I'm happy to read it and review your findings. Remember, "what I heard down the pub", and "what I see on my personal drive to work" do not constitute research.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

1)- And how expensive hell was, with mid-terraces with no central heating at $300,000.

2)- Seriously, if you have done more research than the CIT I'm happy to read it and review your findings. Remember, "what I heard down the pub", and "what I see on my personal drive to work" do not constitute research.
1)- How you must have suffered.

2)- Yet another FOK lesson eh? Too silly!
If I was guided by you, I would spend all my time putting up copious links to justify my frustrations that my decision to stay in Australia is the right one, and I simply cannot get everyone to see that I'm right in everything I say!

It must be very galling!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:34 am
Banned

1)- How you must have suffered.

2)- Yet another FOK lesson eh? Too silly!
If I was guided by you, I would spend all my time putting up copious links to justify my frustrations that my decision to stay in Australia is the right one, and I simply cannot get everyone to see that I'm right in everything I say!

It must be very galling!
The difficulty you have with arguing with me is that I care no more about Britain than I do about Australia. I am aware of the pros and cons of each nation and post about all of it regularly. This is opposed to the method favoured by you and chris955 who post solely anti-Australian comments, as the most cursory of glances through your back posts so perfectly demonstrates.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The difficulty you have with arguing with me is that I care no more about Britain than I do about Australia. I am aware of the pros and cons of each nation and post about all of it regularly. This is opposed to the method favoured by you and chris955 who post solely anti-Australian comments, as the most cursory of glances through your back posts so perfectly demonstrates.
Bring 'em up, you've addressed me,-expand on your hobby-bring up posts of mine that are 'anti Australian'.
I don't like it here, but I have tried to moderate anything I've said.

Bring them up-and we will go through them. One by one.

As for the quoted tripe. The former is arrogant nonsense. I am responding to you without difficulty Zender-and everyone 'friend or foe' knows that.
The latter? Disingenuous BS.

How can I put this without a modswoop? You have a certain posting style; I have a certain posting style.

There is no 'argument', we are 'discussing' things on a d/forum. Don't get sensitive about 'argument';-it is discussion.

This is not the UN. (Where have I heard that before?)
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:29 am
Banned

I'm not interested in engaging in puerile debates about whether one country is superior to another. You would be better off finding someone who is then you can play Aus-UK ping pong with them till the cows come home. You're not going to get that from me because I am equally critical of both nations.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm not interested in engaging in puerile debates about whether one country is superior to another. You would be better off finding someone who is then you can play Aus-UK ping pong with them till the cows come home. You're not going to get that from me because I am equally critical of both nations.
Damn! And here was I looking forward to a bit of post analysis!

As to the rest.......at least you've given me a good chuckle!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:50 am
Banned

Damn! And here was I looking forward to a bit of post analysis!

As to the rest.......at least you've given me a good chuckle!
Smashing. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

As you mentioned there are tons of places like that in the UK. For me its not about my postcode (which does seem VERY important to some) its the area, home etc that is what counts, somewhere you know you are going to enjoy living.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:18 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that post code is the killer. Some people really are snobby about that stuff.

The only problem with our post code for me is that it made our car insurance go up a little bit even though we live in a place where the only crime in recent years was an ASBO 2 years ago! Car theft was much more likely where we lived before, but that was a Harrogate post code and therefore deemed safer. Really silly.

I can't do with arguing about what it's like here with people who don't live here. I'm here and I know I'm not sitting in traffic every time I go out (unless I drive into Leeds which I don't have to do because the train from the next village takes half an hour and parking at the station is free). I also know a mid-terrace here with central heating costs £125K-150K, not £300K.

OTOH, our village isn't chocolate-boxey - it's a working village with a lot of farms (and frequent pungent smells from the fields!) Walking down the lane is an exercise in avoiding roadkill and lambing season can be a tad brutal. We're right up in the hills, so we get more rain than most places, and the wind can be fierce.

This place is my idea of heaven, but I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to paint it as perfect - some people really wouldn't like it I'm sure.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, that post code is the killer. Some people really are snobby about that stuff.

The only problem with our post code for me is that it made our car insurance go up a little bit even though we live in a place where the only crime in recent years was an ASBO 2 years ago! Car theft was much more likely where we lived before, but that was a Harrogate post code and therefore deemed safer. Really silly.

I can't do with arguing about what it's like here with people who don't live here. I'm here and I know I'm not sitting in traffic every time I go out (unless I drive into Leeds which I don't have to do because the train from the next village takes half an hour and parking at the station is free). I also know a mid-terrace here with central heating costs £125K-150K, not £300K.

OTOH, our village isn't chocolate-boxey - it's a working village with a lot of farms (and frequent pungent smells from the fields!) Walking down the lane is an exercise in avoiding roadkill and lambing season can be a tad brutal. We're right up in the hills, so we get more rain than most places, and the wind can be fierce.

This place is my idea of heaven, but I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to paint it as perfect - some people really wouldn't like it I'm sure.
You do not have to defend yourself............or you shouldn't have to.

That you are almost forced to write this (blue) as a qualifier, Sally,- is one of the compelling reasons for my return to the UK, if you understand me....
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't you just had the misfortune of being burgled?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Haven't you just had the misfortune of being burgled?
No, that was in the previous place I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.