15 month update

Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:01 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 15 month update

Guys, can we knock it off. This is an update thread, not a school playground!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Guys, can we knock it off. This is an update thread, not a school playground!
A school playground??
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:28 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Oh for Heavens sake!! Stop being so condescending; it impresses no one. You are utterly pedantic in ensuring no positive comment about the UK goes unchallenged! A few others will do this, but no one-no one is so consistently and obsessively determined to counter positive with negative.

And absolutely NO ONE then uses the arrant nonsense that they are balanced, as do you.
When that doesn't work you resort to this patronizing FOK crap!

It is blatant and recurrent-take it upstairs Zen10, just give it a rest. If those RESIDENT in the UK come to an area for returnees-they can wax as lyrical as they bloody well want!
If they go upstairs and denigrate Australia-go for 'em. Respond to them in your inimitable style.
Just stop coming in here, and talking down.

It is like incessantly being strafed by an annoying mozzie.

..................and spare me the clichéd nonsense of 'have I hit a nerve' blah blah. What you've hit is someone who is fresh out on your disingenuous buzzing around.
Have I hit a nerve?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Have I hit a nerve?
Yes - mine!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:32 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Yes - mine!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:35 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I remember you looking around the Malvern area but I can't remember where you settled. Do you care to share?

Cheers
Well we were looking at Somerset and that was were we were going to settle but saw a house near Hereford and bought it. We havent looked back, a wonderful area with friendly people and glorious countryside.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
Well we were looking at Somerset and that was were we were going to settle but saw a house near Hereford and bought it. We havent looked back, a wonderful area with friendly people and glorious countryside.
Somerset is one of the places on my list as well.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Have I hit a nerve?
That's actually the point; you don't hit anything.

Ah they were halcyon days here, back in 2007/08 (still reading). There was a deal more 'vocalism' about experience in Australia, and little tolerance of the asinine tw.ts that poked their noses in-which is why there was less of it occurring!
Even a moderator was content with the status quo there.. Now it's different...not children in a playground, but being treated like children in a playground.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:17 am
Banned

That's actually the point; you don't hit anything.

Ah they were halcyon days here, back in 2007/08 (still reading). There was a deal more 'vocalism' about experience in Australia, and little tolerance of the asinine tw.ts that poked their noses in-which is why there was less of it occurring!
Even a moderator was content with the status quo there.. Now it's different...not children in a playground, but being treated like children in a playground.
You're a guy who knows how to use a semi-colon to devastating effect.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

[Trying to keep this thread less combative ..... use PMs if you want to get into it with another member]

I think there are lots of decent, reasonably priced places to live in the UK - you just have more choice if you are mortgage-free, on a better salary, etc. (seems obvious to me, but it seems the point needs to be made).

Setting that issue aside for a second, £150k should buy a nice 3-BR house (maybe not a detached or semi in many places, but certainly in some) in lots of areas of the UK (there are two for sale just down the road from me). Having just got back from visiting friends in the Lake District, there are places even not so far from there that can be had. Malvern was mentioned previously, and it is a very decent place that I revisited recently (check out the "Let's Move To ...." articles on the Guardian Web site), with good transport links, a rural setting and fantastic walks and cycle trails, etc. South Wales has some lovely places for that price - and Scotland too.

If it's city living you're after, that is also possible. Birmingham is one place I have looked at, and there are places within the greater Birmingham area for that price. Birmingham has just about anything you would want from a city. So it's not London? So what, who needs London? It's over-hyped IMO.

Coming back to my original comment, in this price bracket you can't be as choosy (I know, because that is around about my price bracket, too). You have to work harder to find a place that has as much of what you want as possible, and be prepared to make a sacrifice or two - maybe you have to be a bit further off the beaten track, or can't have that garage or off-street parking, or have to be a bit closer to a more downbeat neighbourhood, or have to accept slightly worse weather.

I think Sally's "Back Home" story should inspire returnees that a good life in the UK is possible for most returnees. It's maybe easier for some than others, but it's possible.

The biggest disappointment for me returning in 2006 was the financial mire I ended up in - due to the perfect storm of house prices UK-US and of the USD-GBP exchange rate (plus one or two other "financial timing" issues). It really bugged me that I was having to start almost from scratch, housing-wise (from mortgage-free to a 75% mortgage), and I truly resented being in that situation after living a fiscally responsible life - I went through a real period of love-hate with the UK for a long time.

Blah, blah, blah, I'm droning on - my main point is that for most of us, the possibility of living in the kind of situation we want in the UK is possible, but we have to be willing to look hard for it. Sally didn't miraculously fall on her feet in paradise, please let's not rain on the parade by bickering - let's focus on how returnees can be happy not whether they can be happy.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by dunroving
[Trying to keep this thread less combative ..... use PMs if you want to get into it with another member]

I think there are lots of decent, reasonably priced places to live in the UK - you just have more choice if you are mortgage-free, on a better salary, etc. (seems obvious to me, but it seems the point needs to be made).

Setting that issue aside for a second, £150k should buy a nice 3-BR house (maybe not a detached or semi in many places, but certainly in some) in lots of areas of the UK (there are two for sale just down the road from me). Having just got back from visiting friends in the Lake District, there are places even not so far from there that can be had. Malvern was mentioned previously, and it is a very decent place that I revisited recently (check out the "Let's Move To ...." articles on the Guardian Web site), with good transport links, a rural setting and fantastic walks and cycle trails, etc. South Wales has some lovely places for that price - and Scotland too.

If it's city living you're after, that is also possible. Birmingham is one place I have looked at, and there are places within the greater Birmingham area for that price. Birmingham has just about anything you would want from a city. So it's not London? So what, who needs London? It's over-hyped IMO.

Coming back to my original comment, in this price bracket you can't be as choosy (I know, because that is around about my price bracket, too). You have to work harder to find a place that has as much of what you want as possible, and be prepared to make a sacrifice or two - maybe you have to be a bit further off the beaten track, or can't have that garage or off-street parking, or have to be a bit closer to a more downbeat neighbourhood, or have to accept slightly worse weather.

I think Sally's "Back Home" story should inspire returnees that a good life in the UK is possible for most returnees. It's maybe easier for some than others, but it's possible.

The biggest disappointment for me returning in 2006 was the financial mire I ended up in - due to the perfect storm of house prices UK-US and of the USD-GBP exchange rate (plus one or two other "financial timing" issues). It really bugged me that I was having to start almost from scratch, housing-wise (from mortgage-free to a 75% mortgage), and I truly resented being in that situation after living a fiscally responsible life - I went through a real period of love-hate with the UK for a long time.

Blah, blah, blah, I'm droning on - my main point is that for most of us, the possibility of living in the kind of situation we want in the UK is possible, but we have to be willing to look hard for it. Sally didn't miraculously fall on her feet in paradise, please let's not rain on the parade by bickering - let's focus on how returnees can be happy not whether they can be happy.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

You're a guy who knows how to use a semi-colon to devastating effect.
............don't you get it yet? You are an irritant!

It isn't your opinion that bothers me;;;;;; it is the fact that you hang around like a bad smell, incessantly posting critical little jibes.

Even the highly critical move on, but you don't quit. I am sorry you are so trapped in Australia, but don't keep digging at those who have happily returned to the UK.

What I've said has been said quite a few times in the past-including by the most recent poster above.

...... back then moderators were supportive of those in this section not having to put up with incessant digs...
Sadly that isn't the case today.

Perhaps because those jibes are more subtle now? Or because its now acceptable?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:46 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, enough please ... it's an update thread, not one to mess up with pointless remarks and drivel.

Thanks for bringing it back on track dunroving
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving

Why? Irrespective of the fact that this poster is the last person I would communicate with on a more personal level; why does this have to be hidden away?

Why do MBTTUK posters have to run the gamut of this? They did not have to before, they had the support from moderators----(and they had your support too dunroving).

I'm not surprised SS does not want to buy into this on her topic, because it is petty and plain distasteful.
What is so annoying is that then posters like Sally have to qualify their return experience with a disclaimer so that they are not subject to more criticism-and end up having to defend themselves! On their own topic FGS!

It is absurd; it should not be happening; and it could have been discouraged. YOU didn't like it back then!
Posts by whofan and Sally have been informative, newsy and so interesting to read! However, one of these posters has been routinely criticised because someone decides that she is living in a rich persons haven!
The end result? That careful way of posting so as not to offend thoroughly offensive pedantic little twerps who actually have a designated area to spew their guts!

Bickering? Can't you see what I'm saying? Bickering is a bloody insult. You-many others and the mods, simply didn't put up with this 6 years ago-and guess what? It was far less of a problem then it is now.

I've done nothing more than say enough is enough. 6 years ago there would have been vocal support, now nobody wants to what? get into trouble with the mods? What?
This appalling fence sitting is exacerbating this. Petty criticisms are not all day-every day, but are enduring. Why can't they just FO to their own home from home?

MBTTUK: should be a place for returnees to post without having to defend themselves. BE was remarkable 'back in the day' because frankly criticism by posters of Australia in particular, was biting! Yet they freely posted! Amazing! They were not only able to talk about return; they were able to be thoroughly vocal about their reasons.

Strewth! one forum has given the option of a private forum, because of the sniping! It's like some dark ages hiding of pregnancy! Ludicrous!....but it acknowledges that sniping...

And the bizarre thing is that I will now be told where I am wrong!
So much easier to deal with effect rather than cause, isn't it?

EDIT: New post: I can't ID from this page. A mod?

I am objecting to pointless remarks and drivel! Don't make me part of it.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Irrespective of the fact that this poster is the last person I would communicate with on a more personal level; why does this have to be hidden away?

Why do MBTTUK posters have to run the gamut of this? They did not have to before, they had the support from moderators----(and they had your support too dunroving).

I'm not surprised SS does not want to buy into this on her topic, because it is petty and plain distasteful.
What is so annoying is that then posters like Sally have to qualify their return experience with a disclaimer so that they are not subject to more criticism-and end up having to defend themselves! On their own topic FGS!

It is absurd; it should not be happening; and it could have been discouraged. YOU didn't like it back then!
Posts by whofan and Sally have been informative, newsy and so interesting to read! However, one of these posters has been routinely criticised because someone decides that she is living in a rich persons haven!
The end result? That careful way of posting so as not to offend thoroughly offensive pedantic little twerps who actually have a designated area to spew their guts!

Bickering? Can't you see what I'm saying? Bickering is a bloody insult. You-many others and the mods, simply didn't put up with this 6 years ago-and guess what? It was far less of a problem then it is now.

I've done nothing more than say enough is enough. 6 years ago there would have been vocal support, now nobody wants to what? get into trouble with the mods? What?
This appalling fence sitting is exacerbating this. Petty criticisms are not all day-every day, but are enduring. Why can't they just FO to their own home from home?

MBTTUK: should be a place for returnees to post without having to defend themselves. BE was remarkable 'back in the day' because frankly criticism by posters of Australia in particular, was biting! Yet they freely posted! Amazing! They were not only able to talk about return; they were able to be thoroughly vocal about their reasons.

Strewth! one forum has given the option of a private forum, because of the sniping! It's like some dark ages hiding of pregnancy! Ludicrous!....but it acknowledges that sniping...

And the bizarre thing is that I will now be told where I am wrong!
So much easier to deal with effect rather than cause, isn't it?

EDIT: New post: I can't ID from this page. A mod?

I am objecting to pointless remarks and drivel! Don't make me part of it.
TBH, I think most people tend to ignore what they don't want to read in threads like this - if you keep scratching something that irritates you, it only inflames it and adds to the negative karma.

It takes two to Tango - I don't think the mods are singling you out, they're just asking generally to keep the thread on track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.