Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Zyban.. is it risky?

Zyban.. is it risky?

Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:07 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zyban.. is it risky?

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Just had a thought - is Zyban the anti-depressant one?
yes........but it can work the other way,i tried them a few years back when they had just come onto the market and they went in the bin after about 4 days. i could'nt sleep,made me feel depressed and very nervous,on edge and bad tempered.....in normal day to day life i never take things serious and try to have a laugh from getting up to going to bed,,never had problems with my nerve's,very strong person both in mind and body and zyban just made me want to sit and cry for no reason. this is just my experience with zyban and i know of people who have done really well on then but personally i would never try them again.....just be careful and do as much research as possible
Old Jun 19th 2005, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Takes a little while to kick in....

Also... is it risky?
Well, it couldnt be more risky than smoking, with the links between smoking and lung cancer. Sorry to be blunt. Have seen too many lung cancer patients in the last week.

Thanx Ozzidoc

Thats what i meant in one of my posts above. Surely the risk of smoke related diseases far outweighs the risk of taking Zyban for a few weeks.

Day 3 now, have none of the nasty side effects that others have mention as yet.
Bit of a dry mouth now and again thats all.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:20 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Thanx Ozzidoc

Thats what i meant in one of my posts above. Surely the risk of smoke related diseases far outweighs the risk of taking Zyban for a few weeks.

Day 3 now, have none of the nasty side effects that others have mention as yet.
Bit of a dry mouth now and again thats all.
Good luck, giving up smoking was the best thing I ever did - I hope you are successful
Gillian
Old Jun 19th 2005, 9:50 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robyn

I dont mind feeling "out of it" for a few weeks as long as i get the result i want..hey!!..i might enjoy the buzz..LOL

seriously though,... you have to weigh up the pros and cons i guess... as long as Zyban isn't addictive (which i dont think it is) is it worth doing it for the long term benefits? are the risks worth taking if yu are going to drastically reduce your chances of cancer, heart disease and the eons of other killers associated with it?... whats the bigger risk?

The money i save could go towards some big plans... eh Robyn?
You are approaching this the wrong way. READ THE BOOK. Forget about the money you will save, it is irrelevant. Any self respecting smoker would rather smoke for 52 weeks of the year than save for a single weeks holiday.

If you start to analsye how much you are saving you may well look at it as a reward for not smoking. The danger here is that you will think you are giving something up and you are not.

READ THE BOOK IT HOLDS THE KEY TO YOUR FREEDOM.

ps I own no shares in this book but have seen at least 8 people give up on it and successfully. Drugs and patches are not the answer as they do not undo the years of psycological brainwashing smoking has put you under.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HUP
You are approaching this the wrong way. READ THE BOOK. Forget about the money you will save, it is irrelevant. Any self respecting smoker would rather smoke for 52 weeks of the year than save for a single weeks holiday.

If you start to analsye how much you are saving you may well look at it as a reward for not smoking. The danger here is that you will think you are giving something up and you are not.

READ THE BOOK IT HOLDS THE KEY TO YOUR FREEDOM.

ps I own no shares in this book but have seen at least 8 people give up on it and successfully. Drugs and patches are not the answer as they do not undo the years of psycological brainwashing smoking has put you under.

I still ain't found the damn book!!!

Day 5

If i keep feeling like this i wont need to read it anyway.

Finding it hard to describe how i feel today. Got this weird feeling like morning sickness. Have hardly smoked all day!!! Havent felt like eating either... double bonus!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:38 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

I still ain't found the damn book!!!

Day 5

If i keep feeling like this i wont need to read it anyway.

Finding it hard to describe how i feel today. Got this weird feeling like morning sickness. Have hardly smoked all day!!! Havent felt like eating either... double bonus!
OMG - does this mean you're...........

Anya.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anya4oz
OMG - does this mean you're...........

Anya.

ROFLMAO ... if that was the case i'm damn glad Zyban has anti depressant qualities!

Its safe to say that it is highly unlikely..
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:57 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

ROFLMAO ... if that was the case i'm damn glad Zyban has anti depressant qualities!

Its safe to say that it is highly unlikely..

I was just reading in the paper tonight that the birth rate in Florida (US) has gone up significantly after 3 hurricanes hit the state last year. Apparently 'the weather was so severe that women couldn't get out to the chemists to stock up on contraceptives.'

I guess not many of us have the presence of mind to think 'better keep a decent stock of contraceptives in the house, you never know, there might be a hurricane.'

Hmmmm..... :scared:

Anya.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anya4oz

I was just reading in the paper tonight that the birth rate in Florida (US) has gone up significantly after 3 hurricanes hit the state last year. Apparently 'the weather was so severe that women couldn't get out to the chemists to stock up on contraceptives.'

I guess not many of us have the presence of mind to think 'better keep a decent stock of contraceptives in the house, you never know, there might be a hurricane.'

Hmmmm..... :scared:

Anya.

Not sure about hurricanes but for some of us the earth moves quite often ...
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about hurricanes but for some of us the earth moves quite often ...
Are you girls comparing cockatoos again?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

shol is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,try this website www.quitnet.com It really helped me and the missus.Been quit 20 months now.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:59 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Both my husband and I were prescribed Zyban yesterday to help us stop smoking.
I had never really heard of it before, although i had some vague recollection of there being some issues a few years ago about a stop smoking drug being dangerous.

Maybe its all in the mind, but since i started taking it yesterday, i felt a little odd last night and this morning. I can't really put it into words, and i have to admit i didnt feel like smoking as much. I am a bit worried about side effects. As my husband is a nurse he has managed to get plenty of info about it, but, he says nearly ALL drugs you take for any reason will have some side effects in some people.
Couple this with the long term benefits of stopping smoking i guess its probably worth the risk, but i cant help wondering if its really safe.

Has anyone else tried it? Did it work?

Do they prescribe this drug in the UK?
Hiya pp,
My friend was prescribed this in the Uk a few years ago. Obviously everyone reacts differently to drugs but she was really ill on it. She used to be sick first thing in the morning and last thing at night. She also had a spaced out feeling and bad dreams. She stuck at it for about a month and then came off it. I hope you have much more success than she did.
Love and hugs
Sarah