British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Zyban.. is it risky? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/zyban-risky-309220/)

podgypossum Jun 18th 2005 12:00 am

Zyban.. is it risky?

Both my husband and I were prescribed Zyban yesterday to help us stop smoking.
I had never really heard of it before, although i had some vague recollection of there being some issues a few years ago about a stop smoking drug being dangerous.

Maybe its all in the mind, but since i started taking it yesterday, i felt a little odd last night and this morning. I can't really put it into words, and i have to admit i didnt feel like smoking as much. I am a bit worried about side effects. As my husband is a nurse he has managed to get plenty of info about it, but, he says nearly ALL drugs you take for any reason will have some side effects in some people.
Couple this with the long term benefits of stopping smoking i guess its probably worth the risk, but i cant help wondering if its really safe.

Has anyone else tried it? Did it work?

Do they prescribe this drug in the UK?

Grayling Jun 18th 2005 12:04 am

Re: Zyban.. is it risky?

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I had never really heard of it before, although i had some vague recollection of there being some issues a few years ago about a stop smoking drug being dangerous.

Maybe its all in the mind, but since i started taking it yesterday, i felt a little odd last night and this morning. I can't really put it into words, and i have to admit i didnt feel like smoking as much. I am a bit worried about side effects. As my husband is a nurse he has managed to get plenty of info about it, but, he says nearly ALL drugs you take for any reason will have some side effects in some people.
Couple this with the long term benefits of stopping smoking i guess its probably worth the risk, but i cant help wondering if its really safe.

PP
There are some problems with it especially with diabetes.

look here and decide for yourself:http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/zyban.html

Take care

G

soapy© Jun 18th 2005 12:19 am

i took them a few years ago and was off the fags for a year.
they take about 2-3 weeks to work. i found it the best way to stop.
but watch out for the side effects they can be a bit harsh. dry mouth seems to be the most common. i couldnt drink beer the whole time i was on them. beer tasted like dug pish :D
how did u manage to get them in oz? oh and how much?

podgypossum Jun 18th 2005 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Grayling
PP
There are some problems with it especially with diabetes.

look here and decide for yourself:http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/zyban.html

Take care

G

Thanks for that G... just had a look. It says much the same info that Bill found at work. I had never seen this doctor before and only used him as our regular one is on holiday. He is fully aware i am diabetic as he also prescribed my diabetic meds!! He did say he was only giving me a weeks supply to start with to make sure i go back next week to see how i am coping with it.
Still not sure if i am comfortable about using it, but i desperately want to stop smoking. The weightloss os goin well so its time to tackle this now. After that i'm vice free!! :D (ok... nearly)

I'm just really interested to hear comments from anyone else who may have used it

soapy© Jun 18th 2005 12:22 am

Thanks for that G... just had a look. It says much the same info that Bill found at work. I had never seen this doctor before and only used him as our regular one is on holiday. He is fully aware i am diabetic as he also prescribed my diabetic meds!! He did say he was only giving me a weeks supply to start with to make sure i go back next week to see how i am coping with it.
Still not sure if i am comfortable about using it, but i desperately want to stop smoking. The weightloss os goin well so its time to tackle this now. After that i'm vice free!! :D (ok... nearly)

I'm just really interested to hear comments from anyone else who may have used it

u dont stop right away. after a few weeks u forget u smoke, honest.
a lot of people stop biting nails and things like that.

podgypossum Jun 18th 2005 12:23 am

Originally Posted by soapy
i took them a few years ago and was off the fags for a year.
they take about 2-3 weeks to work. i found it the best way to stop.
but watch out for the side effects they can be a bit harsh. dry mouth seems to be the most common. i couldnt drink beer the whole time i was on them. beer tasted like dug pish :D
how did u manage to get them in oz? oh and how much?

Hi Soapy. I just went to the GP mainly to get my diabetic drug prescription. He note how much weight i had lost and i then said i now wanted to quit smoking and that was that. he told me about Zyban and cautiously offered to let me try it.
Sounds good if you managed to stop after taking it!!
Funny thing is that i get many of the side effects for Zyban just by being a diabetic so nothing much will change on that score...lol
prescription cost about $26 or there abouts.

Are you thinking of stopping again?

Grayling Jun 18th 2005 12:25 am

PP

Will send you a pm

G

soapy© Jun 18th 2005 12:25 am

Hi Soapy. I just went to the GP mainly to get my diabetic drug prescription. He note how much weight i had lost and i then said i now wanted to quit smoking and that was that. he told me about Zyban and cautiously offered to let me try it.
Sounds good if you managed to stop after taking it!!
Funny thing is that i get many of the side effects for Zyban just by being a diabetic so nothing much will change on that score...lol
prescription cost about $26 or there abouts.

Are you thinking of stopping again?

oh yeh, im sick of the ciggies and found it the easiest way to stop

Bordy Jun 18th 2005 12:26 am

I hated them, I ended up chucking them down the lavvy.

I couldn't sleep, I'd maybe have two hours kip then PING, wide awake then I'd be knackered at work. After a week or so I was like a zombie.

I bought the Alan Carr book about giving up smoking & so far so good after almost 3 months.

soapy© Jun 18th 2005 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Bordy

I couldn't sleep, I'd maybe have two hours kip then PING, wide awake then I'd be knackered at work. After a week or so I was like a zombie.

I bought the Alan Carr book about giving up smoking & so far so good after almost 3 months.

well done mate. keep it going ;)
so how does the book work. do u light up a page at a time :D

podgypossum Jun 18th 2005 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Bordy

Oh god!!... i hope i dont get like that. :scared:

I bought the Alan Carr book just before leaving NZ to come here, but i have no idea where it is asits in on eof the boxes i still havent unpacked since getting here. Looks like i might have to go dig it out.
I might try using the patches as well once i take my last fag next week.

Bordy Jun 18th 2005 12:31 am

:D

Nah, it tells you not to stop until you finish the book. Took me 3 years to read it. :D
Seriously though it kinda plays with your mind but is very effective.

Grayling Jun 18th 2005 12:40 am

I used to treat people (who wanted to stop smoking) on the NHS.

There is no absolutely correct way to stop.

Many factors are involved and treatment needs to be tailored to the individual.

Good luck to all of you who are trying to stop :)

G

podgypossum Jun 18th 2005 12:42 am

LOL :D

Are you gonna give Zyban another go Soapy?

MrsDagboy Jun 18th 2005 1:08 am

Cant help with the Zyban Podgy, I used patches & will-power when I gave up almost 4 years ago. I found the patches useless at first, used to use the patches & still smoke as well :rolleyes: , thing that tipped it was 2 week honeymoon on an island in Fiji. Put a patch on when we left Aust & left it on - pulled it off after about 4 days & never looked back. It got easier as it went on, probably the first 3 or 4 days was the hardest, then that nagging feeling that lasted another couple of months, but I honestly found it so much easier after those first couple of weeks than I ever thought I would. Happy to say I would never take it up again :) .

All the best of luck, it really is worth it when you conquer it - both financially & emotionally :) .