Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

your geographical knowledge would be appreciated!!

your geographical knowledge would be appreciated!!

Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:26 pm
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of
Default your geographical knowledge would be appreciated!!

hi guys, to those already in australia and those who are planning to move, i was wondering if someone could advise on a nice place to live!! i know i know i hear you scream - surely we should have thought about that, well we have and we are struggling! Basically we are planning to live with my relatives (short term) in Queensland (Stanthorpe to be exact!!) but we ideally want to be somewhere between Stanthorpe and Brisbane!! As stanthorpe is a small town we worry about job prospects and the fact that it is 3 hours away from the nearest beach lol!!
Can anyone give us any ideas to a nice little area that is not too far from the beach and not too far from a large town or city (for work!!) and lastly which is somewhere between Stanthorpe, and Brisbane - as obviously i still want to be able to see my relatives too, or maybe i am asking too much!! nevertheless any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully received (oh before a map is mentioned - i have done some checking but its difficult when you dont know the areas let alone the country)
thanks in advance
vb2
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: your geographical knowledge would be appreciated!!

Ah the ideal situation. Beach, small place & plenty of work. There's probably 2 million people in SEQ all looking for the same thing.

So that would have to be Ipswich (which really means Brisbane, GC or SC).

WW
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:41 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

No disrespect and Hi

But it does begger the question of that old chestnut, should we have visited before hand !!

Imagine the missus says , Ive bought a 50,000 new car...

You say whats it like, ??

Erm dunno she says, but its someat between a 78 seater coach and a sinclair C5

Amazes me, how ppl can totally uproot, and not know what / where they are goin.

Quick Lesson.

Australia has :
Perth
Brisbane
Darwin
Melbun
Syd
Hobart

They are THE main cities.

Population is 20 million +

Most ppl live within 60 minutes of each of those major cities.

Therefore, pure maths dictates, that you will be close to another 3 million ppl.

Furthermore, 3 million ppl cannot survive on watchin neighbours and eatin barbies....

So there is infrastructure, and economies within each of these catchments.

Perhaps do some more homework, look at the MAPS you have, then do specific searches on areas, locales, suburbs, profile checks, and get a proper feeling for the areas.
Then consider cost...

Anything near water, is gonna cost you an arm and a leg !!!

30 mins travel to beach, is virtually classed as BEACH FRONT livin, on the aussie grand scale.

30 mins at 80 klm = 40 klm radius, from beach you like.

Further Maths

Decide on a beach, nr your rellies, that you like....

Then look at the areas, close by.

Format = Beach > Tourism > Suburbia > Industry with retail thrown in between this pile.

Look at WHAT job you want to do, do some research as to wha work is available within your " SMART ZONE " combine this with your "BEACH ZONE" thrown in your "COMMUTE TO RELLIES ZONE "

And shit you not, you will find 34 Pindara Court, Samford. Is up for sale !!!

Steve
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:47 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
No disrespect and Hi

But it does begger the question of that old chestnut, should we have visited before hand !!

Quick Lesson.

Australia has :
Perth
Brisbane
Darwin
Melbun
Syd
Hobart

Therefore, pure maths dictates, that you will be close to another 3 million ppl.

Furthermore, 3 million ppl cannot survive on watchin neighbours and eatin barbies....

Perhaps do some more homework, look at the MAPS you have, then do specific searches on areas, locales, suburbs, profile checks, and get a proper feeling for the areas.
Then consider cost...

30 mins travel to beach, is virtually classed as BEACH FRONT livin, on the aussie grand scale.

Further Maths

Format = Beach > Tourism > Suburbia > Industry with retail thrown in between this pile.

Look at WHAT job you want to do, do some research as to wha work is available within your " SMART ZONE " combine this with your "BEACH ZONE" thrown in your "COMMUTE TO RELLIES ZONE "

Steve
sarky! LOL
not that i want to prostitute my website or owt (steve - shut it!!! LOL) but check out www.goldcoastsmile.com & got to the suburbs page - scroll down a bit & click on the map of the GC & hey presto.... you will have a bonza suburb guide to the GC!!!! Also on there is a link to the REIQ where you can find the suburb of interest & check the median prices & census info, etc.......

Claire
x
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:50 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
sarky! LOL
not that i want to prostitute my website or owt (steve - shut it!!! LOL) but check out www.goldcoastsmile.com & got to the suburbs page - scroll down a bit & click on the map of the GC & hey presto.... you will have a bonza suburb guide to the GC!!!! Also on there is a link to the REIQ where you can find the suburb of interest & check the median prices & census info, etc.......

Claire
x
LOL gday Claire, go your email btw.

Will reply later, our servers are down.

I wasnt actually bein sarcy lol

9/10 answers are answered within the question. !

I was just helpin, i thought
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:19 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL gday Claire, go your email btw.

Will reply later, our servers are down.

I wasnt actually bein sarcy lol

9/10 answers are answered within the question. !

I was just helpin, i thought
*kiss* just joshing wiv ya!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:23 am
vb2

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

thank you for your words of wisdom, but for the record we have been to australia - 3 times!!!! we have visited gold coast, brisbane, and sydney as these areas are where my family lives!!, my family have given me areas which they think are nice but unfortunately they are unsuitable for one reason or another!!! this is why i have asked the forum for advice on any particular area that springs to mind so we can do our research on it whilst we are here in the UK.

some may think we are a little naive but we have done research and as i said we have visited australia, so we know exactly what we are letting ourselves in for, why would we have spent nearly £10,000 and gone through the emotional rollercoaster of the visa process if we wasnt serious about this? i was simply asking for suggestions, afterall it is a public forum and i thought the idea of a forum was to help people!!

thanks again for the advice

vb2

No disrespect and Hi

Quick Lesson.

Australia has :
Perth
Brisbane
Darwin
Melbun
Syd
Hobart

Then consider cost...

Further Maths

Steve
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:25 am
vb2

thanks for that! nice to see you are back, havent seen any postings from you for a while. hope all is well

regards

vb2

sarky! LOL

Claire
x
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:58 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by vb2
thanks for that! nice to see you are back, havent seen any postings from you for a while. hope all is well

regards

vb2
yeah all is great ta - just been mad busy with Gold Coast Smile, plus been to Turkey to see the inlaws for a fortnight then went to a wedding - plus the kids too! Shite it never stops! LMAO
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:29 am
vb2

gosh!! wish i was that busy, might take my mind off the whole visa thing lol!!
regards
vb2
(ps. saw your other post with the pics - have i missed a local meeting or something??)

yeah all is great ta - just been mad busy with Gold Coast Smile, plus been to Turkey to see the inlaws for a fortnight then went to a wedding - plus the kids too! Shite it never stops! LMAO
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:32 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by vb2
gosh!! wish i was that busy, might take my mind off the whole visa thing lol!!
regards
vb2
(ps. saw your other post with the pics - have i missed a local meeting or something??)
no wasn't local as in up in the north was in Worcestershire...... we were down there at a wedding so we joined in too!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:45 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I can't offer you specifics into where you want to live, but what I would do if I were in your shoes is look on the internet at different areas where you want to live...there are plenty of books you can look at too. One that springs to mind is the lonely planet, you can get these books from Waterstones, WHsmiths etc. They will give you an overview into different States/areas/populations etc - which will hopefully help you in your decision.

I would then rent somewhere to live for a while once you arrive in OZ, so you have a base. This will give you the opportunity to get a feel for certain places. You can look at rented accommodation on www.realestate.com.au -

I spent a year in Oz some years ago, I still don't know which area we (My partner and I) are going to live in, we will decide when we get there, we don't want to plan too much before we arive, we enjoy a little bit of spontaneity.

Good luck!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:33 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that a very important consideration when it comes to beach towns/suburbs is what you can afford: I have bugger all money and don't really care about the beach, but just supposing I did, then a lot of coastal communities would be out of my price bracket. At the end of the day, some of the loveliest and most convenient beachy bits are priced accordingly re: housing.

If you're watching the pennies this will necessarily cut down on your options, but sometimes just for the sake of living a little way inland, property prices can come down quite a bit.

The link in the previous post to this one for Realestate.com.au is well worth following up as it is brilliant for info on thousands of properties throughout Aus and will give you a pretty good indication of what and where you can afford.

Good luck!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:41 pm
vb2

thanks guys for the info, i do use realestate.com to check house prices etc. and they are very good, i guess i am trying to plan everything to quickly a little spontaneity (spelling??) is good, i think first and foremost we shall settle with the rellies then go on from there!!
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by claire edwards
I can't offer you specifics into where you want to live, but what I would do if I were in your shoes is look on the internet at different areas where you want to live...there are plenty of books you can look at too. One that springs to mind is the lonely planet, you can get these books from Waterstones, WHsmiths etc. They will give you an overview into different States/areas/populations etc - which will hopefully help you in your decision.

I would then rent somewhere to live for a while once you arrive in OZ, so you have a base. This will give you the opportunity to get a feel for certain places. You can look at rented accommodation on www.realestate.com.au -

I spent a year in Oz some years ago, I still don't know which area we (My partner and I) are going to live in, we will decide when we get there, we don't want to plan too much before we arive, we enjoy a little bit of spontaneity.

Good luck!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:58 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2
thanks guys for the info, i do use realestate.com to check house prices etc. and they are very good, i guess i am trying to plan everything to quickly a little spontaneity (spelling??) is good, i think first and foremost we shall settle with the rellies then go on from there!!
regards
vb2
The main thing you need to tell us is what you intend to be doing to support yourself as that may well have the biggest influence on where would be suitable. Coupled with that - how far (time or distance) are you prepared to travel each day to/from work. So - if you are a nurse and need to work in a hospital and do not want to commute more than 30 mins that will restrict you to different suburbs than, say, a teacher who is prepared to travel 2 hours.

So..... what do you do and how far will you go to do it?

Cheers,

DagBoy