Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In your experiences which is better?

In your experiences which is better?

Old Dec 26th 2004, 7:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In your experiences which is better?

People get slagged off and put down for posting all sorts of things here. I don't think any particular viewpoint gets more of a slating than another. Just try not to take it personally or give it out.

As for the OP what do you want out of life?
Old Dec 26th 2004, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

GRADERMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think you will find most people here will probably say "Australia", if only due to the fact that most people on this forum are either in Australia, or wanting to be in Australia. There will of course be a number who prefer the country they came from, ie: mainly Britain, again due to the forum being for "British" Expats

The problem is that everyone has different values, opinions and requirements, and no one location can possibly suit everyone.
I agree with you again and you dont have to dislike the country you left.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Who slated you, and how ? And who wears rose tinted goggles ?
In my opinion, that expression "rose tinted specs etc" is being used a lot to put people down, or wind them up to try to get them to bite back.

Most people agree that both countries have good points, but to be constantly told that if you like Australia you must be wearing "Rose Tints" is getting very tiresome. I personally like Australia better than the UK, but I don't go around saying that those who do like the UK must be wearing "rose tints".

I noticed a post from renth recently, where they said: "being back in the UK but feels good <..> But it could be the "rose tinted specs" syndrome"
You immediately replied "No not rose tinted specs".
By that, it looks like you are saying that because it's the UK they have gone to, "Rose Tints" do not apply. In your eyes it is beginning to appear that it only applies to people going to Australia.

Lets drop the "rose tints" and stop asking for people to bite back, by all means post how you compare the two countries, but putting this comment at the end of the post indicates your opinion of people who like Australia.

Better put my tin hat on now, expecting a shelling from those who have gone back to the perfect country of the UK wearing their rose tinted specs.
(This last bit just put in to see what it feels like to actually write it ... it is not meant seriously)

ABC don't you just love it when someone complains about being slated but in doing so slates a whole group of people (rose-tinted INDEED!) - gotta love-em.

Me? I've lived in Africa before and I prefer Oz. It has it's moments, isn't perfect, gives me the shites sometimes, but in the end it's about how much of the crap in each country u r willing to live with, what kind of nonsense u r willing to put up with and how the pros outweigh the cons for you. Personal choice for everyone. I for one am thankful that we all differ, I wouldn't want the whole world trying to get into oz - how would I ever find parking then?

Last edited by G'Day; Dec 26th 2004 at 11:05 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
ABC don't you just love it when someone complains about being slated but in doing so slates a whole group of people (rose-tinted INDEED!) - gotta love-em.

Me? I've lived in Africa before and I prefer Oz. It has it's moments, isn't perfect, gives me the shites sometimes, but in the end it's about how much of the crap in each country u r willing to live with, what kind of nonsense u r willing to put up with and how the pros outweigh the cons for you. Personal choice for everyone. I for one am thankful that we all differ, I wouldn't want the whole world trying to get into oz - how would I ever find parking then?
Oh how you have to laugh! Been offline for a few days and you're all arguing!!! Anyway, thanks ever so Jad for propping up my corner, really appreciate it! Eric I never accused you personally of wearing rose tinted specs - you have given good and bad views on oz and 'opened your eyes' to your surroundings after I commented on the amount of rubbish and graphitti in Bayside and the suburbs of Brisbane. I love both countries equally, both have good and bad points like any country, and I do face a difficult decision regarding where to finally live. A lot of my friends in oz are unhappy and want to return to the UK and feel we are lucky to have had the chance to return. A lot of my friends used to post on here, but felt their negative comments would end up in personal attacks - hence they don't post anymore which is a shame. At the moment I am enjoying being back in the UK. My son was ill in oz, lost 4kg in 3 weeks, was pale and had cyanosed (blue) lips and ears, he was short of breath and had night sweats of 40 degrees. We took him to hospitals in the area, they did nothing except prescribe paracetamol. As soon as we landed we got him to a GP, who referred him that day to the hospital. The following day he had various blood tests, a chest x ray and detailed check up. The dr's were fantastic. His bloods came back abnormal, but we had that horrible gut feeling they would and we're now waiting for his most recent bloods to come back to see if his platelet count has come down. His weight is slowly coming up and he's being monitored daily. Despite our best efforts we couldn't get this care in oz as no one would listen! The nurses knew there was something wrong but were powerless to do anything or influence the dr's, whereas in the UK we always act as advocates to our patients. Maybe a one off bad experience? Well maybe!

When you have children, effective healthcare is essential, you cannot compromise. When I say I'm glad to be back in the UK, I mean it. I've never been so glad to see an NHS hospital in all my life as I knew Ollie would get the treatment and care he needed.

Thanks again Jad, hope you have a fab New Year!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by glittababe
Oh how you have to laugh! Been offline for a few days and you're all arguing!!! Anyway, thanks ever so Jad for propping up my corner, really appreciate it! Eric I never accused you personally of wearing rose tinted specs - you have given good and bad views on oz and 'opened your eyes' to your surroundings after I commented on the amount of rubbish and graphitti in Bayside and the suburbs of Brisbane. I love both countries equally, both have good and bad points like any country, and I do face a difficult decision regarding where to finally live. A lot of my friends in oz are unhappy and want to return to the UK and feel we are lucky to have had the chance to return. A lot of my friends used to post on here, but felt their negative comments would end up in personal attacks - hence they don't post anymore which is a shame. At the moment I am enjoying being back in the UK. My son was ill in oz, lost 4kg in 3 weeks, was pale and had cyanosed (blue) lips and ears, he was short of breath and had night sweats of 40 degrees. We took him to hospitals in the area, they did nothing except prescribe paracetamol. As soon as we landed we got him to a GP, who referred him that day to the hospital. The following day he had various blood tests, a chest x ray and detailed check up. The dr's were fantastic. His bloods came back abnormal, but we had that horrible gut feeling they would and we're now waiting for his most recent bloods to come back to see if his platelet count has come down. His weight is slowly coming up and he's being monitored daily. Despite our best efforts we couldn't get this care in oz as no one would listen! The nurses knew there was something wrong but were powerless to do anything or influence the dr's, whereas in the UK we always act as advocates to our patients. Maybe a one off bad experience? Well maybe!

When you have children, effective healthcare is essential, you cannot compromise. When I say I'm glad to be back in the UK, I mean it. I've never been so glad to see an NHS hospital in all my life as I knew Ollie would get the treatment and care he needed.

Thanks again Jad, hope you have a fab New Year!
Hi Glittababe,
Hope your wee boy gets better soon and that you have a healthy start to the New Year.
Best wishes
Kristine.x
Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi Glittababe,
Hope your wee boy gets better soon and that you have a healthy start to the New Year.
Best wishes
Kristine.x
Thanks ever so Kristine, he's certainly getting cheekier which is a good sign! There were days in oz where he would lay on the sofa so lethargic he couldn't move. It was awful as we felt so helpless, we knew something was wrong but couldn't get a dr to listen. It was so frustrating. Thankfully he's getting sorted so we're all feeling much better. Have a great new year and many thanks for your post X
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:13 am
Badge

Who slated you, and how ? And who wears rose tinted goggles ?
In my opinion, that expression "rose tinted specs etc" is being used a lot to put people down, or wind them up to try to get them to bite back.

Most people agree that both countries have good points, but to be constantly told that if you like Australia you must be wearing "Rose Tints" is getting very tiresome. I personally like Australia better than the UK, but I don't go around saying that those who do like the UK must be wearing "rose tints".

I noticed a post from renth recently, where they said: "being back in the UK but feels good <..> But it could be the "rose tinted specs" syndrome"
You immediately replied "No not rose tinted specs".
By that, it looks like you are saying that because it's the UK they have gone to, "Rose Tints" do not apply. In your eyes it is beginning to appear that it only applies to people going to Australia.

Lets drop the "rose tints" and stop asking for people to bite back, by all means post how you compare the two countries, but putting this comment at the end of the post indicates your opinion of people who like Australia.

Better put my tin hat on now, expecting a shelling from those who have gone back to the perfect country of the UK wearing their rose tinted specs.
(This last bit just put in to see what it feels like to actually write it ... it is not meant seriously)
great post. Just over a year ago, this accusation was particularly widespread - at that time there were a lot of negatives and very few people having a good time of it in Australia - the balance brightened up around the time HUP and Hevs arrived in Melbourne lol...There seems to be more balance now - more people enjoying Australia. Even now I can look at the UK through rose-tints and I know that that version of events is only for a small minority, just like what I am lucky to have here is only for a few, or for me (That's why I came here!)

The Grass is greener on the other side is much more valid, probably .

BM

Last edited by Badge; Dec 27th 2004 at 11:21 am.

Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jjchack
[]Hai,

From your experiences which country is better for living?That means which is NO.1 destenation in the world?
Bcz in this WEB I saw that people mainly concenterating to imm. AUS. ,CANADA,UK,USA.So please enter your valuable Exp. here?
From different view we get some idea about each nation?This is useful for our members!!
An excellent thread. All countries have plus and minus points. For myself, I personally like the UK. Aus is good for a holiday, but to live and work, no thank you. Glitta hope Ollie gets better soon, its a worrying time for all of you but you still seem to keep your sunny disposition. Don't let the buggers get you down! They live in a bubble and don't want anyone to burst it! At least your honest about what really goes on in oz (nearly put down under)! Some people are in for a big shock one day, as may I be about the UK!!!!! Take care XX N XX
Old Dec 28th 2004, 10:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I'm going to be awkward and say that if there were better opportunities and less crime I would not hesitate to seriously consider going to live in South Africa instead. It has come a long way since the end of apartheid, but has an awful long way to go. It was still an absolutely spell-binding place for me though.

As far as UK/Aus goes, I can't choose. Ask again when I've been in Aus a few years and I might have a definite answer one way or the other.
Absolutely agree, if it wasn't for the violence & affirmative action, I'd be there tomorrow. Australia is 2nd choice for me (but a good choice). SA is the real God's country.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Absolutely agree, if it wasn't for the violence & affirmative action, I'd be there tomorrow. Australia is 2nd choice for me (but a good choice). SA is the real God's country.

SA? been there done that - the buggers stole me bloody T-Shirt!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 1:45 pm
Badge

I get annoyed when people think someone is attacking them personally, when all the poster is doing is 're-aligning' / clarifying the argument or being very specific. I do that sometimes and then you always get someone attacking you, the secret is not to use emotive language in your reply - people skim read the thread and think they are being attacked..

(Mike S is guaranteed to wind me up though!)

I didn't think ABCDiamond was attacking Jad, and articulately described his viewpoint. Jad was a tad quick to take offense, when all ABC wanted to do was specifically offer to use a specific line of analysis..I respect both posters immensely...

BM

Old Dec 29th 2004, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
In my opinion:

1. Australia
2. USA
Etc, etc.......
199. Anywhere in boring backward old Europe
And there was I thinking that you couldn't even count to 6.....
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:15 pm
Badge

quick, quick someone vote for Mike in the Predictable category on the awards....(!)

Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

My son was ill in oz, lost 4kg in 3 weeks, was pale and had cyanosed (blue) lips and ears, he was short of breath and had night sweats of 40 degrees. We took him to hospitals in the area, they did nothing except prescribe paracetamol. As soon as we landed we got him to a GP, who referred him that day to the hospital. The following day he had various blood tests, a chest x ray and detailed check up. The dr's were fantastic. His bloods came back abnormal, but we had that horrible gut feeling they would and we're now waiting for his most recent bloods to come back to see if his platelet count has come down. His weight is slowly coming up and he's being monitored daily.

It sounds like you have had a very worrying time. I hope your son is better soon. There is nothing more frightening than having a sick child. Makes some of the whinging on here seem a bit trivial.

Last edited by jugsy; Dec 29th 2004 at 11:19 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:18 pm
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Badge
quick, quick someone vote for Mike in the Predictable category on the awards....(!)
Deep breath Badge!