Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In your experiences which is better?

In your experiences which is better?

Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:07 am
Just Joined

jjchack is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up In your experiences which is better?

[]Hai,

From your experiences which country is better for living?That means which is NO.1 destenation in the world?
Bcz in this WEB I saw that people mainly concenterating to imm. AUS. ,CANADA,UK,USA.So please enter your valuable Exp. here?
From different view we get some idea about each nation?This is useful for our members!!
Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:09 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: In your experiences which is better?

Originally Posted by jjchack
[]Hai,

From your experiences which country is better for living?That means which is NO.1 destenation in the world?
Bcz in this WEB I saw that people mainly concenterating to imm. AUS. ,CANADA,UK,USA.So please enter your valuable Exp. here?
From different view we get some idea about each nation?This is useful for our members!!
definately AUS for too many reasons....and who the hell wants to live in the usa these days ?
Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

[]Hai,

Gonna sit on the fence on this one. Explained how we were glad to be back in the UK after short spell in oz and got completely slated for it by those wearing the rose tinted goggles! All I'll say is, happy to be back and the weather isn't everything! Good luck!
Old Dec 26th 2004, 10:34 am
ABCDiamond

[]Hai,

I think you will find most people here will probably say "Australia", if only due to the fact that most people on this forum are either in Australia, or wanting to be in Australia. There will of course be a number who prefer the country they came from, ie: mainly Britain, again due to the forum being for "British" Expats

The problem is that everyone has different values, opinions and requirements, and no one location can possibly suit everyone.

Old Dec 26th 2004, 11:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by glittababe
Explained how we were glad to be back in the UK after short spell in oz and got completely slated for it by those wearing the rose tinted goggles!
Who slated you, and how ? And who wears rose tinted goggles ?
In my opinion, that expression "rose tinted specs etc" is being used a lot to put people down, or wind them up to try to get them to bite back.

Most people agree that both countries have good points, but to be constantly told that if you like Australia you must be wearing "Rose Tints" is getting very tiresome. I personally like Australia better than the UK, but I don't go around saying that those who do like the UK must be wearing "rose tints".

I noticed a post from renth recently, where they said: "being back in the UK but feels good <..> But it could be the "rose tinted specs" syndrome"
You immediately replied "No not rose tinted specs".
By that, it looks like you are saying that because it's the UK they have gone to, "Rose Tints" do not apply. In your eyes it is beginning to appear that it only applies to people going to Australia.

Lets drop the "rose tints" and stop asking for people to bite back, by all means post how you compare the two countries, but putting this comment at the end of the post indicates your opinion of people who like Australia.

Right I'm ready for an ear bashing from those who live in the 'oz is wonderful bubble' http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...92#post1879592
Better put my tin hat on now, expecting a shelling from those who have gone back to the perfect country of the UK wearing their rose tinted specs.
(This last bit just put in to see what it feels like to actually write it ... it is not meant seriously)

Old Dec 26th 2004, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna sit on the fence on this one. Explained how we were glad to be back in the UK after short spell in oz and got completely slated for it by those wearing the rose tinted goggles! All I'll say is, happy to be back and the weather isn't everything! Good luck!
No, quite understandably, it was comments like:
Oh yup theres the two tier healthcare system in oz but lets face it its shite!
and
Haven't even started on the poor education system down under!
that got you the slating. No-one cares if someone prefers the UK to Australia, but they do care when someone makes uninformed, outrageous generalisations like the above, having lived here for all of three months.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 12:21 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Who slated you, and how ? And who wears rose tinted goggles ?
In my opinion, that expression "rose tinted specs etc" is being used a lot to put people down, or wind them up to try to get them to bite back.

Most people agree that both countries have good points, but to be constantly told that if you like Australia you must be wearing "Rose Tints" is getting very tiresome. I personally like Australia better than the UK, but I don't go around saying that those who do like the UK must be wearing "rose tints".

I noticed a post from renth recently, where they said: "being back in the UK but feels good <..> But it could be the "rose tinted specs" syndrome"
You immediately replied "No not rose tinted specs".
By that, it looks like you are saying that because it's the UK they have gone to, "Rose Tints" do not apply. In your eyes it is beginning to appear that it only applies to people going to Australia.

Lets drop the "rose tints" and stop asking for people to bite back, by all means post how you compare the two countries, but putting this comment at the end of the post indicates your opinion of people who like Australia.

Better put my tin hat on now, expecting a shelling from those who have gone back to the perfect country of the UK wearing their rose tinted specs.
(This last bit just put in to see what it feels like to actually write it ... it is not meant seriously)
Excellent post ABCD

As you say, there's nothing wrong with people prefering either UK or Aus. It's all about personal values / expectations / perception and opinion...... and everyone's opinion / perception is personal, so actually everyone is right

Perception after all, is in the eye of the beholder

Old Dec 26th 2004, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As no country is actually "perfect" its also quite possible to prefer neither the UK or Australia. I have moments when I'd rather be there, and equally moments when I prefer it here - depends on what I'm doing, who I want to be with, what the weather is doing, whether Qld has blacked out the power again, and whether Brighton's dustmen are on strike. There have been numerous times in the last five years when I have wished to be in the "other country" - I guess this indicates that for me at least, neither is "best".
Old Dec 26th 2004, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to be awkward and say that if there were better opportunities and less crime I would not hesitate to seriously consider going to live in South Africa instead. It has come a long way since the end of apartheid, but has an awful long way to go. It was still an absolutely spell-binding place for me though.

As far as UK/Aus goes, I can't choose. Ask again when I've been in Aus a few years and I might have a definite answer one way or the other.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 1:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As no country is actually "perfect" its also quite possible to prefer neither the UK or Australia. I have moments when I'd rather be there, and equally moments when I prefer it here - depends on what I'm doing, who I want to be with, what the weather is doing, whether Qld has blacked out the power again, and whether Brighton's dustmen are on strike. There have been numerous times in the last five years when I have wished to be in the "other country" - I guess this indicates that for me at least, neither is "best".
Polly, I fully agree. There is no "best"

We all add up the good and the bad, and get a sense of which we prefer. But in that, we also take account of our partners wishes. After all, it ends up being a whole package. I am glad that I have ended up preferring Australia overall, as I am sure that my wife would not have liked to have stayed in the UK.

The hardest situation must be when two people, who wish to be together, each find it difficult to live in the others country. When this happens, one or both must make sacrifices, and hope the strength of feeling between them is strong enough to override the initial problems caused. Time then becomes involved and generally solves most issues.
Jeez, that bit sounds like I know what I am talking about (maybe I do )

Old Dec 26th 2004, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Jeez, that bit sounds like I know what I am talking about (maybe I do )
ABC, all I can say is what a totally understanding post
Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Glittababes posts have had a rare honesty, shes admitted being torn at times, something on here you dont read that often, but I think many feel.

Ive never found her that biased to either country overall when you read a lot of her posts, you could equally hilight where she praised aussie beaches or swimmng pools or said her kids have loved it, shes done a wonderful job in posting honestly and been very human in her emotions, I actually think its a pity more people dont post that honestly and openly, because when you meet poms here its often how they feel - torn good and bad about both and neither place will ever be the best but you can see why people dont post that on here :scared:

I cant nominate any country as 'the best' at different times of my life many countries have or will suit, and each member of my family may add to that complex issue by requiring different things at different times. Australia UK Canada USA etc all offer a good standard of life compared to how most of the world live.
Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I actually think its a pity more people dont post that honestly and openly, because when you meet poms here its often how they feel - torn good and bad about both and neither place will ever be the best but you can see why people dont post that on here :scared:
I think you may not have read the other posts fully, (or we understand things differently) but it's not the posting about feelings etc that gives a problem, it's the putting down of people who do like Australia that I have commented on today.

Why would someone be scared to honestly post that they are torn good and bad about both as long as they don't add comments that indicate that anyone who likes Australia is wearing rose tinted glasses, and therefore can't know the truth as much as someone who has gone back to the UK ?

Our experiences are all different, However, glittababe and I both live(d) in the same area, Victoria Point, although in very different parts it would seem. We have both been to the same hospital, and had different experiences. My view, after 14 years in Australia, is that you get varied service in hospitals the world over, glittababe's view, after 3-4 months in the country is that - the OZ system is shite!
the two tier healthcare system in oz but lets face it its shite!
A very true and knowledgeable view of the whole Australian Health service ?

Individual posts about individual experiences are perfectly OK, welcomed and and NEEDED, but posts like that give a distorted view.

It's like me saying that I had a car stolen in the UK, but never in Australia. Therefore Car theft in the UK is rife, and you should come and live in Australia to get away from it.

I had my business in the UK broken into, UK is a terrible place for crime.

My area in the UK needed street cleaners to come round every day, so the UK is full of litter louts. Here they don't need to come round as often.

How do those comments sound ? It's the same generalisation that you have just defended, but for a different country, one that you have publicly stated that you prefer to Australia yourself.

Again I will say (Those bits were put in to provide comparison ... it is not how I think of it, even though they are serious examples)

Old Dec 26th 2004, 3:57 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I'm going to be awkward and say that if there were better opportunities and less crime I would not hesitate to seriously consider going to live in South Africa instead. It has come a long way since the end of apartheid, but has an awful long way to go. It was still an absolutely spell-binding place for me though.

As far as UK/Aus goes, I can't choose. Ask again when I've been in Aus a few years and I might have a definite answer one way or the other.
South Africa! l hope you can afford an electric fence around your house and 24 hour armed security guards so you don't wake up in the morning and discover your family brutally raped and murdered. :scared:
l'd much rather live in OZ where a ' necklace ' means a piece of jewelry not a car tyre placed around your neck doused in petrol and set alight. :scared:

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 26th 2004 at 4:07 pm.

Old Dec 26th 2004, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
South Africa! l hope you can afford an electric fence around your house and 24 hour armed security guards so you don't wake up in the morning and discover your family brutally raped and murdered. :scared:
l'd much rather live in OZ where a ' necklace ' means a piece of jewelry not a car tyre placed around your neck doused in petrol and set alight. :scared:
Extreme reply as per, but wasn't that what was suggested?

Last edited by carolinegorka; Dec 26th 2004 at 4:17 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.