Reload this Page >

This is your captain speaking

This is your captain speaking

Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:06 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Oi Oi, i know im not one anymore but steady on

Actually....another one you might appreciate.

Ever heard of a yak 52? Its a pretty powerful prop job, ex military training plane i think. Well i was working a shift and some flashy bloke in his yak thought it would be clever to run his engine up on the apron. Thing is he had'nt checked what was behind him, and there was a cessna 152, not tied down i might add, parked behind him. The cessna actually did a back-flip and landed upside down..... The pilot of the yak did'nt believe me when i told him what he'd done....
Most have no idea what happens on or around airports...the firefighters have given me the most laughs.

As for thick...that's just a description of a civil air traffic controllers wallet!!!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 1:50 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I repeat - it's perfectly possible to build an airplane to taxi, take off, fly from A to B and land. It's just that making it do all that, fitting in with the air traffic system and with 10^-7 safety, just isn't.

There's no point in eliminating the human who at present diagnoses and cures faults on the aircraft and transferring the mistakes that the human makes to software programmers and system designers who try to cover every possibility. They can't.

And the IFE still doesn't work!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 1:54 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rog Williams
I repeat - it's perfectly possible to build an airplane to taxi, take off, fly from A to B and land. It's just that making it do all that, fitting in with the air traffic system and with 10^-7 safety, just isn't.

There's no point in eliminating the human who at present diagnoses and cures faults on the aircraft and transferring the mistakes that the human makes to software programmers and system designers who try to cover every possibility. They can't.

Surely it's only a matter of a few years' software/ hardware development and it'll be a lot cheaper and safer to get rid of the human element?
Old Mar 1st 2004, 2:07 pm
Not here

I don't buy that having a pilot helps in diagnosing and curing faults, the systems do that for themselves already. The ATC systems around the world are about to undergo radical changes. The concept of freeflight makes automation necessary, but it already is for the big guys. Where it does not work is for the bug-smasher pipers and cessnas dribbling around playing at being biggles and not willing to pay for technology. Take GA out of the mix and it is a done deal.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 2:10 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Surely it's only a matter of a few years' software/ hardware development and it'll be a lot cheaper and safer to get rid of the human element?
My point is that the human element is still there - probably more so. The people trying to "program" - and I use the word loosely - are human, and will make mistakes. Fact.

Plus they don't have their ass on the airplane - that does concentrate the mind somewhat even if it does sometimes overload it and cause confusion.

One of the cries that seems to go up nowadays in the cockpit is "what the hell's it doing now???" And that's just with the automation and logic that is in the things today. One aircraft series in particular has had quite a history of crashes caused because the designers were too clever by half, allowing the crew to get behind the airplane. That's not IMO an argument for eliminating the crew, more for questioning whether theoreticians can actually do a better job.

Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My point is that the human element is still there - probably more so. The people trying to "program" - and I use the word loosely - are human, and will make mistakes. Fact.

Plus they don't have their ass on the airplane - that does concentrate the mind somewhat even if it does sometimes overload it and cause confusion.

One of the cries that seems to go up nowadays in the cockpit is "what the hell's it doing now???" And that's just with the automation and logic that is in the things today. One aircraft series in particular has had quite a history of crashes caused because the designers were too clever by half, allowing the crew to get behind the airplane. That's not IMO an argument for eliminating the crew, more for questioning whether theoreticians can actually do a better job.

Nowadays with fly by wire humans are only virtually in control with a software interface to the controls. Grounding the pilot is just the next logical step with remote diagnosis.

Poorly written software could crash a plane but that could happen now.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:44 pm
Not here

Originally posted by bondipom
Nowadays with fly by wire humans are only virtually in control with a software interface to the controls. Grounding the pilot is just the next logical step with remote diagnosis.

Poorly written software could crash a plane but that could happen now.
I agree. You can in no way compare software development for PC applications to the development of safety critical software. IV&V, CMMI, and a thousand other methodologies are helping to ensure fault tolerant applications. If I heard a cry from the cockpit of "what the hell's it doing now???", I would say there is a training problem not a technology problem.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 12:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wish I had your faith in the technological solution! (Not true - I don't wish that!)

Like the majority of passengers I would not be at all happy if the crew disappears. I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime so I'm not getting too upset about it though!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:13 am
Not here

I wish I had your faith in the technological solution! (Not true - I don't wish that!)

Like the majority of passengers I would not be at all happy if the crew disappears. I don't believe it will happen in my lifetime so I'm not getting too upset about it though!
Here you go...would this make you feel more comfortable?
Attached Thumbnails This is your captain speaking-airplane_01.jpg  
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:26 am

Originally posted by Florida_03
Here you go...would this make you feel more comfortable?
Not the fish.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:29 am
Not here

Not the fish.
I am serious - and don't call me Shirley!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:44 am

Originally posted by Florida_03
I am serious - and don't call me Shirley!
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:52 am
Not here

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Have you ever been in a...in a Turkish prison?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:56 am

This could go on all day. BTW Why was the film called flying high in Australia and Airplane everywhere else?

Roger Roger
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:00 am
Not here

This could go on all day. BTW Why was the film called flying high in Australia and Airplane everywhere else?

Roger Roger
Drug references don't go down with the ex-hippy US establishment.