Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Originally Posted by honeybob
our friends, whom are leaving in january, don't want to have a leaving party, they think it will be too difficult to say goodbye to all of their friends and family... and i respect their decision, don't get me wrong...

we are thinking about having one, and i'm just asking for anyone else's view, was it too difficult, was it more than you expected, did it help you in anyway, or did it make things worse?

honeybob
We got our visa on friday , leaving party [LAST MINUTE] saturday, flew out Sunday. We where glad we had party, didnt know we where so popular, everyone was crying, it really is up to you, i did not really want one but we are glad that we did.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I never wanted to have a leaving party and planned to slip away quietly as I'm not one for being the centre of attention. But, I have now realised that it will be the last time I'll ever get the chance to see a lot of people. I am now definitely planning to have a party.

My only thoughts are whether to have one big party , or have an individual one for the kids and their mates. I have decided to have a book for people to write their email addresses etc. in but never thought about cards with mine and the kids details on. That's a good idea.

I can't wait

Tracey
Tracey

I have also booked a party for the kids to have their mates to
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debilloyd
Tracey

I have also booked a party for the kids to have their mates to

I think it's a nice idea. They probably wouldn't feel able to be themselves at a big party with family etc. around. What sort of venue have you booked it in?

Tracey
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I think it's a nice idea. They probably wouldn't feel able to be themselves at a big party with family etc. around. What sort of venue have you booked it in?

Tracey
I have booked a hall for them (holds about 50 I guess) and a dj so that they can have all their school buddies there. Only conflict will be that one is into Greenday and the Killers etc and the other is a real townie and into R&B and stuff so could be interesting
Old Aug 8th 2005, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cranni
We got our visa on friday , leaving party [LAST MINUTE] saturday, flew out Sunday. We where glad we had party, didnt know we where so popular, everyone was crying, it really is up to you, i did not really want one but we are glad that we did.
No one cried at our party they were all cheering cant think why
Old Aug 8th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
We intend to have an oz themed party on 1st october all going well and we bloody exchange today! We are having a party in the afternoon for the kids (3 & 7) with a magician with an australian slant. She also makes balloon animals and is going to make crocs, kangaroos etc. I have printed off lots of colouring in of koalas and kangaroos etc and the playgroup have agreed that we use their bits and pieces.
The party will be fancy dress for all so should be good fun. My eldest who is 7, her friends if all goes to plan will come in time for the magician and then will have a disco afterwards.

Were then going to have a couple of hours break in between and then have an adults only bash. rich plays rugby and to be quite frank i dont want the kids around that lot!! anyway it will also be fancy dress we are going to be steve and tracey irwin, rich is going to dye his hair blond which will be interesting and hes picked up a few crocs etc along the way.

All our friends are looking forward to it and the hall we have has a large hall and kitchen, there is no bar. Our invite will be strictly byo which is australian theme anyway and suits everyone as its cheaper, plus everyone has agreed to bring some food.

we bought some bits and pieces on our validation trip ie to decorate the hall so it should be good. I think it will be hard to say goodbye etc but in a way it has to be done as part of the ritual of emigrating i think. Anyway thats how we view it.

The only problem is if it all goes tits up again i will have to cancel everything again!!
Irene
Old Aug 8th 2005, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

sheila and joe is on a distinguished road

we had ours on saturday and it was totally fantastic -- not as many tears as I had feared maybe because we dont go until 26th but it was just brilliant to see so many people who made the effort for us and without the party there's no way we would have got to say goodbye to them all -- I'd say go for it -- I know leaving is hard but its just another part of the process you have to go thru and this way you have a good time doing it

sheila
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkhigh
The only problem is if it all goes tits up again i will have to cancel everything again!!
Irene
Don't cancel it whatever happensl. We booked ours and had it in July. Still haven't sold the house but had a bloody good party that everyone loved. Brilliant memories and not sad cos lots of people knew they would still see us for a while and family who came from miles away had a great excuse to get together without having to bury someone

We know that when we finally do sell the house, the party has been done and we can just dive off so to speak. Might say good bye to a few people but all depends