Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you/Did you have a leaving party???

Originally Posted by biggy
We had a party and it was superb....yes there were loads of tears, and the odd thing was they were from the people you least expected to break down!!!!!but what a bloody laugh we had too!!!!!
Just have it a good few weeks before you go, OK it will be the last time that u may see some of the people, but family and close friends u will be seeing you go.
Made us feel so special, knowing that over 150 people bothered to turn up....and it was all for us....maybe they just wanted to make sure we were actually going lol

Go for it.......get it all over with in one night, otherwise you will never get a chance to say goodbye to everybody....the time flys by when you are getting ready to go

Good Luck
Heather
xx

Well said Heather, we had ours last Friday. Meant to post some pics but couldn't get them small enough to post!
200 or so of our friends and relatives showed up! And as Heather said get it all over with in one night for friends, obviously you will see close family before you go as well.
I would suggest you have the party about a week before like we did. This week we have been able to spend time with the family members we are most going to miss! But we have tried to make the meetings happy ones to remember long after we have gone.
A couple of tips I would like to pass on are firstly maybe write a small explanation of what your plans are for when you reach Oz and maybe a contact e-mail address for yourselves. Then leave a copy on each table, that way you won't spend your entire night repeating yourself to people, so freeing up time to spend chating with a lot more of your friends!!
Also we left a book for people to leave messages and contact details, it's great to read them later, if not a little sad!
But all things considered have a leaving party, if you have have as good a time as us then it will be well worth it!!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Phiza, good point.

We had three of those autograph type books lying around and most people wrote their address/ e-mail etc and a few choice words.
It is however a little upsetting when you sit back at a later date and read them.

Paul
Old Sep 10th 2004, 7:14 am
togooff&things

We're Not having one. (I don't want to be saddened by how many I would want to come that never made it! lol ) Lots of aquaintenses, that I love dearly. But I'm going with my best friends, Hubby and my 2 boys! My 3 bestest mates other than them- one's my Mum, other lives in Glasgow and other in Salisbury! So I never see any of them anyway - but we'll always be there for each other and that's a fact! Nah, slip into the shaddows for us and for no other reason than - wanting a "see ya later" rather than a "goodbye"!

Old Sep 10th 2004, 8:17 am
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Honeybob,

Will tell you better tomorrow. Having our leaving do tonight :scared: Initially thought have to go out in style so booked the best suite at St James Park. We are now shxxxxxx ourselves, well I am hubby is quite realxed and cool about it. 450 people due to land tonight - can't imagine what it's going to be like. Think I've done all my crying though as family have had small intimate leaving do's which I think are harder. Spent the night at brother in laws - totally relaxed and enjoyable - came home and wept buckets. Honestly you just can't explain how you feel leaving loved ones. My favourite saying at the mo is 'we'll be all reet when we get there!!!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

thanks to all who replied, it honestly helped, and we are definitely going to have a party, and just enjoy it for what it is...

our one dilemma, both sets of our parents divorced and remarried, effectively leaving us with 8 parents, whom don't get on at all!!! please feel free to take the p***, we laugh about it often! oh, the joy at xmas time, it's like a military operation trying to ensure they avoid each other! bring on australia...

so the leaving do, i don't care what they say to each other, it will only make it more memorable, for the comic value, i hope.. not for any visits to A&E!

and marie66, thanks mate, just been reminded of the best place to have the leaving do, how could i forget! St. James', what other way is there to go? one, i'm sure the husband won't ever forget!!! at least they won't spend hours at the old trophy cabinet!!!

have a brilliant night marie xx

honeybob...
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Phiza, good point.

We had three of those autograph type books lying around and most people wrote their address/ e-mail etc and a few choice words.
It is however a little upsetting when you sit back at a later date and read them.

Paul
Brilliant idea and one I will have to remember if we ever get to go
Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Phiza, good point.

Paul
We had a load of single use cameras and a book at our first 2 parties for friends, just 2 more family ones to go. Cant take the book to the family parties as some of the comments in the book were after people had a fair bit to drink .Ohhh just one other thing make sure noone takes a camera into the toilets my mrs had a bit of a shock when she looked at the pictures
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:03 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We had one last night, I am now just in a fit state to type!!!!!

But it was great loads of close friends & peeps we hadnt seen for a while & a great party to boot. A few tears from som of them at the end but we were ok.

Glad we did it.

stu & Lorraine
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hi
We had a leaving party with over 150 people there. IT WAS FAB. Funnily enough we didn't have any tears I think that was probably down to the fact we had it in July and not leaving till Oct. So we will look on it as a real happy time with everyone we know in the same building!!!- there will be time for tears nearer the time we go with close family/ friends. We too had a book that had lots of silly photos of us as children that everyone wrote in.
That was the time for tears!!! I still can't stop reading it and I still cry every time I read it. I would definately recommend getting one if you have a party.
Good luck to all of you are yet to have one and enjoy!!!
Karen x
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:37 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soapy
even if u dont want to have a party, your family and friends will want to say goodbye !!!!
that means u will be in tears everytime u sy bye to someone. if you have a party u can get it over and done with in one night
good luck

soapy
Soapy do ya know any good places in Glasgow to have leaving do? We haven't got a clue where to start as it needs to appeal to all ages - wouldn't want to exclude my older relatives as well as work collegues and friends. We like the idea of having an Australia theme party, maybe hire a DJ - don't want too huge a venue but must have a bar and small dancefloor. Just though i'd ask on the off chance you knew of anywhere!

Lynn
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Greigrob is on a distinguished road

In the weeks up to our departure we are going to have separate nights out for a meal and drinks for our close friends and families and the on the weekend before we leave we are having a do down at the local for anyone who wants to come and say cheerio.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:36 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Our leaving party is on Sept 3rd then we fly out on the 8th. Gonna be a great party with no tears on our parts. I've promised myself that aint gonna happen but on the night, who knows
Marie
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by honeybob
our friends, whom are leaving in january, don't want to have a leaving party, they think it will be too difficult to say goodbye to all of their friends and family... and i respect their decision, don't get me wrong...

we are thinking about having one, and i'm just asking for anyone else's view, was it too difficult, was it more than you expected, did it help you in anyway, or did it make things worse?

honeybob
We haven't even got our visas yet and I've booked ours already. I decided that we would fly out first week of January and have the party on News Years Eve - we may as well go out with a big party but its bloody expensive on that date for halls and discos I can tell you.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:06 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybob
our friends, whom are leaving in january, don't want to have a leaving party, they think it will be too difficult to say goodbye to all of their friends and family... and i respect their decision, don't get me wrong...

we are thinking about having one, and i'm just asking for anyone else's view, was it too difficult, was it more than you expected, did it help you in anyway, or did it make things worse?

honeybob
I had 2 leaving parites. One with my family and friends and the next night with my work colleagues. I think they are a good idea cos you go away with all those happy memories. Mind you it brought it home that i was leaving them all too! But everones different, my hubby didnt want one and just had family round one evening ( he left for Oz 3 months before me) so its horses for courses really.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I never wanted to have a leaving party and planned to slip away quietly as I'm not one for being the centre of attention. But, I have now realised that it will be the last time I'll ever get the chance to see a lot of people. I am now definitely planning to have a party.

My only thoughts are whether to have one big party , or have an individual one for the kids and their mates. I have decided to have a book for people to write their email addresses etc. in but never thought about cards with mine and the kids details on. That's a good idea.

I can't wait

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.