Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Citizenship Question

Yet Another Citizenship Question

Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:46 pm
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of
Default Yet Another Citizenship Question

Can anyone please answer a couple of questions about the citizenship interview?

We have our interview in a few weeks. On the forms 1027i it says that if your name is different from that which is on your birth ceritificate you have to provide Australian evidence. As my wife changed her name when we got married I assume we have to use our marriage certifcate - but the form says overseas marriage certificates are not an acceptable evidence of a name change.

Since I can't find anyone else asking about this on here and as it must be a common thing - am I reading that wrong? How do you get Australian evidence?

Also for the copies of documents you need to get certified, what does the person certifying them actually need to do?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:58 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet Another Citizenship Question

Originally Posted by binky
Can anyone please answer a couple of questions about the citizenship interview?

We have our interview in a few weeks. On the forms 1027i it says that if your name is different from that which is on your birth ceritificate you have to provide Australian evidence. As my wife changed her name when we got married I assume we have to use our marriage certifcate - but the form says overseas marriage certificates are not an acceptable evidence of a name change.

Since I can't find anyone else asking about this on here and as it must be a common thing - am I reading that wrong? How do you get Australian evidence?

Also for the copies of documents you need to get certified, what does the person certifying them actually need to do?

Thanks!
Hi ...we have ours coming up too

I phoned them abouut the change of name thing, and the person I spoke to said to just bring my marriage cert ...when I pointed out it was a British, and not an Aussie one, she said...not to worry, and just bring it...if further docmentation is required, the interviewer could ask for it.

The Certifying of docs is just like when you had them certified to come here in the first place ...get them copied, and take the originals, and the copies to a solicitor who will sign and stamp the copy.
Then take is all to the interview ....and don't forget your photo !
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:23 pm
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Hi ...we have ours coming up too

I phoned them abouut the change of name thing, and the person I spoke to said to just bring my marriage cert ...when I pointed out it was a British, and not an Aussie one, she said...not to worry, and just bring it...if further docmentation is required, the interviewer could ask for it.

The Certifying of docs is just like when you had them certified to come here in the first place ...get them copied, and take the originals, and the copies to a solicitor who will sign and stamp the copy.
Then take is all to the interview ....and don't forget your photo !
Hello....thanks for that, I can relax a bit now!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:21 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Just out of interest, what are the all up costs of getting citizenship? We are applying in October.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:32 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello....thanks for that, I can relax a bit now!
we have been there and done it....yup your marriage cert will be fine. A JP can certify your foto's etc and is cheaper than a solicitor
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:36 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Plug
Just out of interest, what are the all up costs of getting citizenship? We are applying in October.
$120 per adult under 16 dont pay
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As my wife changed her name when we got married I assume we have to use our marriage certifcate - but the form says overseas marriage certificates are not an acceptable evidence of a name change.
The form is wrong. Overseas marriage certificates have to be acceptable because there is no other documentation available.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:57 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to get one because my birth name was different from my maiden name im now married and go by that name hope that makes sense.

We went to the interview with just the marriage certificate i was told we needed a change of name certificate so after we had the interview we went down to get one not a easy task i can tell you...

Basically my mum had never legally changed my name to that of my stepfather who had brought me up since i was 4 so i had to get one that stated my change of name from my birth name which i havent used since my mum married in 1985 too my now married name, the staff at births deaths and marriages i found too be very rude and unhelpful there was an english girl on reception who didnt have a clue what i was on about when she eventually understood i then got passed on to someone else you need to take proof of address which is 3 mth old i had this but it wasnt 3 mth old problem,this was resolved quickly as my hubby had a quartly bill he was going to be paying with him but the guy said it needed to be in my name when i said but were married oh are you?? DOh thats why i have showed you my marriage certificate about 5 minutes ago anyway he said to come back in an hour and it would be ready $183 it cost.

Hubby went back in the hour rude girl behind the counter said its ready but you cant have it as her workmate had forgot to photocopy our marriage certificate which was with me i was the other side of the city waiting in a coffee shop the reason being im heavily pregnant so hubby went back for it as it was a fair walk from where we had parked, he stood is ground and got it!!!

Went back to DIMA with it they were lovely like they had been in the interview they took a copy all done phew!!!!

So my advice would be go with the marriage certificate but be prepared to be sent to BDM if you have any different name changes as i have i really wish my mum had of legally changed it all those years ago!!

Last edited by kez81; Aug 10th 2007 at 1:00 am.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:12 am

Copied this from the BDM website if anyone needs australian proof this is what you need to get.

All changes of name are registered in accordance with provisions contained in Part 5 of the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1998. From 14 April 1999, the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is no longer able to register a deed poll.

Applications for change of name may be made by:

People born in Western Australia, or where their birth is registered in Western Australia
Australian citizens who are domiciled or ordinarily reside in Western Australia
Permanent residents of Australia who are domiciled or ordinarily reside in Western Australia.

Change of Name Fee

Payment may be made by cheque or money order payable to the "Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages" or by MasterCard or Visa. Please allow a minimum of five (5) working days to process your application, plus a further ten (10) working days if paying by personal cheque.

Have you previously changed your name?

If you have previously changed your name and were born in Western Australia, you can record the change of name in your birth registration. You will need to complete an application form (BDM104 - see download below), no fee is payable for this application.

How to change a child's given names within 12 months of their birth

If your child was born in Western Australia and you wish to change their given names within 12 months of their birth, you will need to complete an application form (BDM105 - see download below) and pay the relevant fee. Only one change of this kind can be made within 12 months of the child's date of birth.

Contact details

Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
Level 10
141 St Georges Terrace
PERTH WA 6000
Telephone: 1300 305 021
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:28 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
we have been there and done it....yup your marriage cert will be fine. A JP can certify your foto's etc and is cheaper than a solicitor
Solicitor cannot charge you to to certify documents in Australia ...it is against the law.
I was told this by a solicitor.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The JP at your local Citizens Advice Bureau will do them for free.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Solicitor cannot charge you to to certify documents in Australia ...it is against the law.
I was told this by a solicitor.
the forms say anyone from the list of occupations can certify the documents i got the same person who did my picture to do the copies but im the end the lady did her own copies and didnt need the ones i took.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I don't think there is a charge for witnessing documents?

I often witness documents; stat decs etc and don't charge a penny.........
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:59 am
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by Bobcat
I don't think there is a charge for witnessing documents?

I often witness documents; stat decs etc and don't charge a penny.........
See post 10.