Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A year's gone by already.................

A year's gone by already.................

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:41 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
"..

Any proudness often manifests itself as unnecessary negativity, overbearing, or then an accusation of arrogance - ask any Australian or New Zealand rugby fan when an English fan celebrates a win. Look at the tribal nature of soccer and some of the fans overseas. Look at English blokes in Bondi beach in Australia - an embarassment of oafishness, loudness and the locals saying bloody English!! I can always tell the English from the Aussies in the Eastern suburbs - the English answer and shout in to their mobiles on the buses - I was cringing with embarassment - the aussies were polite and subtle.

How can we be proud when films like Braveheart make fools of us?(!)

badgers
Australians win on oafishness and loudness hands down they are bad losers and worse winners , you dream on never come across the word HOON?

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 1:46 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Australians win on oafishness and loudness hands down they are bad losers and worse winners , you dream on never come across the word HOON?

Sorry universal problem, never come across the word LAGER LOUT.

Bread and Circuses?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03

Bread and Circuses?
Youthful high spirits, that's all it is. You'll be knocking piracy next. The English lads throw punches with a little finger crooked and that is class that your Ozzie bogan will never manage.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 2:43 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by badgersmount
"I find that a lot of English people sort of shuffle around and are scared to say "I'm proud of my country". - they are more likely to denounce their own land than stick up for it - it's one thing which I do not get! "

That's the problem in a nutshell. Unlike the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots we are not "allowed" to be proud. I used to be and at college I was acused of being right wing by my Guardian reading, sandal wearing lecturers. For many 30 somethings educated in the early 1990s it has been drummed out of us. I had a lecturer at college in 1995 who told us that there was no such thing as English culture. It was all based on negativity. There seemed a brief resurgence in the late 1990s with "Cool Britannia"..

Any proudness often manifests itself as unnecessary negativity, overbearing, or then an accusation of arrogance - ask any Australian or New Zealand rugby fan when an English fan celebrates a win. Look at the tribal nature of soccer and some of the fans overseas. Look at English blokes in Bondi beach in Australia - an embarassment of oafishness, loudness and the locals saying bloody English!! I can always tell the English from the Aussies in the Eastern suburbs - the English answer and shout in to their mobiles on the buses - I was cringing with embarassment - the aussies were polite and subtle.

How can we be proud when films like Braveheart make fools of us?(!)

badgers
You sound as if you have an inferior prob - you also are (like you have done in past threads) generalising about the English and Aussies- so 5o million English people in Britain, or all English people in Aus are loud , shout into their mobiles etc - and 20 million Aussies are polite???? And it's where men are men and women are women... lol

You are generalising so much - and to be honest I don't recognise the Australia which you talk about and I'm living here! There are rude and polite people here, the same as there's rude and polite people in the UK. people are people where ever you go in this life, some bad, some good, some rude , some polite.

You are living in a total fantasy world

Quick look out there's an 18inch Huntsman behind you - lol

I could feel quite sorry for you if you can not be proud of who you are. At least PB (although he can be totally obnoxious sometimes ) is proud of his birthright "Englishness" - that I can respect. I can't see why you are so quick to be pretend to be something which you are not.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 23rd 2003 at 3:51 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:00 am
Not here

Originally posted by Wilf
Youthful high spirits, that's all it is. You'll be knocking piracy next. The English lads throw punches with a little finger crooked and that is class that your Ozzie bogan will never manage.
Yes know what you mean...TV has a lot to answer for...

Sooty's all grown up he's not a puppet anymore
He's interested in getting pissed and passing out on the floor, Oi!
He glassed Basil Brush with a bottle of stout
And threw a dart in Squeek's eyes before he pulled it out

Who's that walking on air?
Bouncing down the street without a care?
It's skin head Sooty, with the killer xylophone, Oi!
With blood soaked bovver boots and a racist attitude
A mean (bowdler knows) mother's son
Not afraid of anyone
Got the others on the run
Here he comes, here he comes
Sooty the skin, Oi! queek, queek, queek, queek, queek, Oi!

Sooty's got a tattoo and he's gone and shaved his head
He's dating muppets half his age
And getting them into bed
He says his old friends are all miserable pricks
They're married now or dead and gone
Or mentally sick
Who's that walking on air?
Bouncing down the street without a care?

Well the hunce caught up with Basil Brush and he got clubbed to death (god blimy, god blimy etc)
Hey Paul, it's enough mate (It's dead mate) mate, you've knocked the stuffing out of him
Bill and Ben got little weed and smoked it in the shed
Weed! Weed! Weed!
Blubba that little weed
Zebadee ODed on E and now he's pushing clover
It's not lawn I got it from the womballs
Dougal blindly humps the leg of his owner
I say, what's that tune, said Dougal
(Last post, damn, splinter) Ow
bobby is a bigot
the clangers flew away
The thunderbirds are puppets, No!
And Andy Pandy's Gay!
(and proud people, and proud, no strings on end, he stands up himself these days)

Who's causing havoc on the docks?
In a pair of bright red braces and cherry red docs!
It's skin head Sooty with the killer xylophone
With a blood soaked Stanley knife
And a racist attitude
He'll wait until you're all alone
Crack your skull, break your bones
Send the pieces to your home
He's the one
All in fun
Sooty the skin-head
Oi, oi, oi, oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi!

Last edited by Florida_03; Jul 23rd 2003 at 3:11 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:15 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Bread and Circuses?
True but you lads win hands down at this sport I would bet on a Aussie Hoon any time .

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:19 am
Not here

True but you lads win hands down at this sport I would bet on a Aussie Hoon any time .

I'll have to take your word for it.

One of the landed gentry?
Attached Thumbnails A year's gone by already.................-sp14.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes know what you mean...TV has a lot to answer for...

Sooty's all grown up he's not a puppet anymore...
This simple little furry chap has brought pleasure to millions over the years and anyone can make a mistake - the days this song refers to were not something sooty would like to be reminded of. Who would behave well if someone had their hand up their arse for 30 years? This chap is the epitome of brave tolerance to me.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 4:07 am
Banned

I'll have to take your word for it.

One of the landed gentry?
Yes WA bikies are more up market.
Attached Thumbnails A year's gone by already.................-boys.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 4:41 am
Not here

Yes WA bikies are more up market.
Looks more like Hen's Night at 20 Reid Promenade, Joondalup?
Attached Thumbnails A year's gone by already.................-oldbailey00.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 4:44 am
Banned

Looks more like Hen's Night at 20 Reid Promenade, Joondalup?
Dam and blast you are doing me out of me promotion free ales , what deal you did get?

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:07 am
Not here

Dam and blast you are doing me out of me promotion free ales , what deal you did get?

I get to pick who get bounced at the door on Friday Nights.

"Smart Casual Only"
"No Rugby Shirts"
"No Welsh Shirts after 6:30pm"

I was going to implement the

"No Pommie Bastards" door rule but takings would have plummetted.
Attached Thumbnails A year's gone by already.................-a_eddie_with_crossed_arms011.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:45 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

If what BB is proud of is 'Englishness' then I am calling for a rethink on my nationality I always said I was English not UK or British but now I may choose something else.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:51 am
Banned

Originally posted by yafm
If what BB is proud of is 'Englishness' then I am calling for a rethink on my nationality I always said I was English not UK or British but now I may choose something else.
Try the word Pom you will hear it every day here followed by either whinger or bastard , after awhile its all you answer too.