Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Xmas stuff in Perth- please add to

Xmas stuff in Perth- please add to

Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Xmas stuff in Perth- please add to

Hi guys
Just thought I would put in a thread for this years newcomers. There are several xmassy things in Perth city which are worth going to.
The channel 7 parade is tonight- well worth getting the train in as Perth will be packed. Once in central Perth, you won't be able to miss the route. I think it starts around 7.30pm but get there earlier.

The big Carols by Candlelight is in the Supreme Court Gardens. http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/htm...ate=2005-12-18 We went last year and took the train down, we weren't really that prepared as its a bring-the-esky-and-the-kitchen-sink affair. We took the train down to avoid parking problems. It was quite good, with fireworks and the swan bells were lit up. Most people were sat down with rugs and had got there really early.

Other things worth keeping a look out for are the Santa train (nearer to Xmas) and the nativity at Forrestgate, which ties in with the Santa train. Its on 3 separate nights, covering the 3 main train routes. We missed it last year but might try and go as they have camels, farm animals etc. There are lots of other smaller carols by candlelight around- Whitfords was recommended by some friends last year. Once I know the date I will post it up.

Take care and have a great Aussie Christmas,
Larissa
Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xmas stuff in Perth- please add to

Carols at Somerly
Saturday 10th Dec 7pm @ Fleming Park, Ocean Keys Boulevard, Clarkson

Carols at Heathridge (Whitfords)
Saturday 18th Dec 7pm @ Heathridge Park, Ocean Reef Road, Heathridge
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Carols at Beaumaris........Sir James Park, Dec 18th @ 7.30pm

Try to keep this post at the top so will will all be able to find it each time we browse the site
Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers Sandra!

Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th Dec (sorry late notice!)
Perth Zoo Christmas Capers Get into the swing of Christmas and enjoy a unique family Christmas experience. There will be a host of Christmas activities including an appearance by Santa, roving carol singers, The Mistletones featuring Libby Hammer, and free Christmas craft activities for the kids. 9am-5pm. 20 Labouchere Rd, South Perth. Enq: 9474 3551

Wednesday 14

Double Helix Science Club Christmas Party Come along and enjoy Scitech’s new exhibition, theatre shows, sessions in the lab, story telling and more. Everyone will receive a hotdog and drink. Please bring along a present, to the value of $5, for donation to the Starlight Foundation. 5.30-7.30pm. Members only, unless accompanied by an adult. A$8 C$5. Scitech, Underwood Ave, Floreat. Bkgs ess: 9321 1454.
PS Scitech is coool

Friday 16
City of Perth Christmas Concert Get along and hear some of Perth’s best choirs, including Men in Harmony and Perth Harmony Chorus as they perform carols and family favourites. 6.30pm. Forrest Place, Perth. Enq: 9461 3368

Tuesday 20
Double Helix Science Club Santa’s Science Workshop Calling all elves. Get along to the lab and make gifts for family and friends. A selection available from bath bombs for mum to slime for your little brother. 10-11.30am. Suits 10+yrs. $8 members, $10 non-members. CSIRO Lab at Scitech, Underwood Ave, Floreat. Bkgs ess: 9321 1454.

Wednesday 21
City of Perth Christmas Nativity
A family event not to be missed with hundreds of performers, live animals and carols as the traditional story of Christmas is brought to life. 7.30pm. Forrest Place, Perth. Enq: 9461 3368

City of Perth Santa Train Join Santa and his elves on a memorable train ride into the city for Christmas cheer, entertainment and shopping. Fremantle line departs 2.27pm. Clarkson line departs 4.28pm. Enq: 9431 3368

Joondalup Library Storytelling Bring the children for a story in a group atmosphere. See Santa and receive a free gift. Non-members welcome. 10.30am. Boas Ave, Joondalup. Enq: 9400 4759.

Friday 23
City of Perth Santa Train (see Wednesday 21)
Hmm, the listing I took this off doesn't mention which line it is but I guess Midland? Worth checking out!
City of Perth Christmas Nativity (see Wednesday 21)

Saturday 24
City of Perth Santa Train Join Santa and his elves on a memorable train ride into the city for Christmas cheer, entertainment and shopping. Armadale line departs 10.01am. Enq: 9431 3368

Sunday 25

Christmas Day
Perth Zoo Christmas with the Animals Why not spend some time this Christmas with all the animals at Perth Zoo. 9am-5pm. 20 Labouchere Rd, South Perth. Enq: 9474 0444

Wednesday 28
Kings Park Get along and enjoy the tree top walk and take in the magnificent views of Perth. Remember what a beautiful city we have and share it with friends or family. Kings Park Rd, Perth.

Saturday 31

City of Perth Family New Years Eve
A huge family event featuring a Country and Western concert and loads of entertainment. 8pm. Perth Town Hall, Hay St, Perth. New Years Eve in Northbridge Join the City’s biggest New Years Eve Party with three stages of music, performance and celebrations in the streets of Northbridge. 9.30pm. Enq: 9461 3368

Perth Zoo Happy Zoo Year This popular family New Year’s Eve event promises plenty of action and fun. The evening features a range of musical and acrobatic entertainment, culminating in a special New Year countdown for the kids at 9pm. Perth Zoo memberships, discount passes and free entry passes are not valid for this event. Special note: The zoo will close at 4pm on this day. Book early as this event sells out each year. 5pm. Entertainment begins at 6.30pm. A$29, C(4-15yrs)$16, C(U4yrs)$6, Seniors$19, Conc.$19. 20 Labouchere Rd, South Perth. Enq: 9474 0444

Check out
http://www.perthschild.com/dailycalendar.asp
for more info plus activities into January.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:22 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like most Carols by Candlelights are on Sunday the 18th.
We didn't go last year, so will go with Pasca's parents this year, to the Gosnells one I think... that's the 18th.

The Riverton( I think) one is the 18th too.

Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Simone, btw, I still have your crimbo cards from last year!!!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Santa Train - Christmas and New Year
Hope this clears up the previous posting.

Date: Wednesday, 21 December 2005 to Saturday, 24 December 2005
Cost: Normal fare
Details: Catch the train to the city with Santa for loads of Christmas cheer, entertainment and shopping.

Train Lines:

Wed 21 Dec
Fremantle Line
Departs Fremantle 2.27pm, arrive Perth 2.55pm. Stops all stations.
Clarkson Line
Departs Clarkson 4.28pm, arrives Perth 4.58pm. Stops all stations from Clarkson to Warwick, then runs express to Perth.

Thu 22 Dec
Midland Line
Departs Midland 2.30pm, arrives Perth 2.55pm. Stops all stations.
Thornlie Line
Departs Thornlie 4.34pm, arrives Perth 4.57pm. Stops all stations excluding Beckenham.

Fri 23 Dec
Clarkson Line
Departs Clarkson 2.22pm and arrives Perth 2.54pm. Stops all stations.
Fremantle Line
Departs Fremantle 4.35pm, arrive Perth 4.59pm. Stops all stations to Claremont, then at Subiaco & City West.

Sat 24 Dec
Armadale Line
Depart Armadale 10.01am, arrive Perth 10.35am. Stops all stations to Cannington, then at Oats Street, Claisebrook & McIver.

More Info: 9461 3368
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Thanks Simone, btw, I still have your crimbo cards from last year!!!
Ha ha! Don't worry about it, you use them!
Still have to send mine to rellies though.... but I bought some in the sales last year!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers Simone! Did you make it to Carols in Candlelight and was it any good?
We went to the Whitford carols but made our escape before the fireworks (have no stamina being pregnant lol) which probably meant we got home an hour earlier.
It was a great atmosphere and there was loads of room for the kids to run about, candy floss and fairground rides.

I'm just looking at the Santa trains but they are much earlier than this year and don't really tie in with the nativity.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:56 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Ended up going to Carols in the Valley at Sandalford Winery!!! Should have posted it in here, but only heard about it a few days before!
http://www.sandalford.com/events/carols.html

It was great, really 'modern' stuff, and a nice spot.

They expected 3000 people but about 7000 showed up! It was the first time.
A few problems with the sound, but nothing major. They said next year they'll make it better, with screens on the side for people further away.

I think Courtney Murphy (Aussie Idol last year) was a big attraction, cos a pretty big cheer went up when he came on, lol. He only did 3 songs though. Nice ones though, one by Paul Mcartney, one by John Lennon.

There was 15 minutes of fireworks at the end (9pm). We left at 9.45 and were still in a bit of a traffic jam, lol!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds cool, thanks Simone
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:17 am
Parent Contr.143

lened is an unknown quantity at this point

And for those who live in the Hills there's a Carol Concert and party on 23rd December in Glen Forrest which is really worth visiting if you are nearby.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Late night shopping in the City Weds, Thurs and Fri (my stint tonight!).
the Navity is on at 7.30pm the same nights.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:52 am
sheila and joe

joe and sheila will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Larissa]Hi guys
Just thought I would put in a thread for this years newcomers.

hey thanks for that Larrissa -- didn't see this post until today (21st) -- saw a local carols by candlelight the other night with fireworks etc -- it was great -- am babysitting my nephews on Friday so think i will take the "santa train" in and catch the nativity as well dont know who enjoys these things more -- me (and hubby) or the kids!!
sheila
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=joe and sheila]
Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
Just thought I would put in a thread for this years newcomers.

hey thanks for that Larrissa -- didn't see this post until today (21st) -- saw a local carols by candlelight the other night with fireworks etc -- it was great -- am babysitting my nephews on Friday so think i will take the "santa train" in and catch the nativity as well dont know who enjoys these things more -- me (and hubby) or the kids!!
sheila
Hope you have a great time, we may be going too and meeting hubby after work. Have a great Christmas.