Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Xmas pressies in Container

Xmas pressies in Container

Old Oct 4th 2004, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Xmas pressies in Container

We are moving to Bribane on 8th November and having our things shipped.

Both our Kids have Birthdays just before we leave the UK and then the Grandparents and Family want to buy the Xmas pressies before we ship our goods so that we can send them in the container.

I realise that they won't be able to wrap them as the shippers and the customs will have to know whats in the parcels. Will we have to pay Tax on these things?

Helen
Old Oct 4th 2004, 11:22 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Xmas pressies in Container

Originally Posted by Nige37

Both our Kids have Birthdays just before we leave the UK and then the Grandparents and Family want to buy the Xmas pressies before we ship our goods so that we can send them in the container.

I realise that they won't be able to wrap them as the shippers and the customs will have to know whats in the parcels. Will we have to pay Tax on these things?

Helen

In theory, yes. In practice, no.
Though it does depend exactly what the items are. But clothes, toys etc that are new shouldn't be a problem for you.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 12:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Helen
Will that be Christmas 2004?

I sincerely hope for your sake you don't have the same problems that so many of us have had waiting for your container to arrive (12 weeks in my case).

Christmas morning won't be the same when the kids ask "where are out presents?" and you have to tell them "Tilbury"
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Will that be Christmas 2004?

I sincerely hope for your sake you don't have the same problems that so many of us have had waiting for your container to arrive (12 weeks in my case).

Christmas morning won't be the same when the kids ask "where are out presents?" and you have to tell them "Tilbury"
Yep, good point Renth, my stuff left Tilbury mid November last year, didn't clear Customs in Bris till February.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

readytogo is on a distinguished road

Helen

Hi Nige,

We have also just done that !, we fly 15th Nov but we sent our good last friday with PSS (fantastic co), so they should arrive same time as we do. We bought pressies and packed them away in the boxes, the packing list merely says box of toys, of which there are loads ! so should be ok, didn't fancy xmas shopping while we are trying to find a house to rent and then unpack

Dave & Jenny