Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

XBOX and PC Power Cables

XBOX and PC Power Cables

Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:08 pm
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default XBOX and PC Power Cables

Lots of my electrical items use the same power cable. My XBOX, stereo, camera charger - all use the same standard cable. They have a flat, two hole end that plugs into the device. Even the plug for my laptop charger has one.

Can these just be swapped for Australian versions? Anybody tried this?

Also my PC. As most of you probably know the power cable just plugs into the back of the PSU. Can these be exchanged for Australian versions?

Anybody provide any help on this?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:13 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

mmmmm...xxxbbooxxxxx.

...erm.. oh yeah.. from what i can gather the plugs should be changeable to ozzie plugs. But the concensus here seems to be to take a bucket load of 4 way power socket extensions things and then just change the plug on those.

do ozzie xbox games play on the uk xbox?

..and thinking about it, if you don't fancy messing with plugs the cables are pretty standard, so you should find an ozzie replacement cable cheap enough. the only cost a few quid over here.

Last edited by scutterUK; Mar 11th 2004 at 1:16 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Power cables can be just swapped. Buy them from Dick smiths or Tandy.

What we did was brought a lot of 4 ways and changed the plugs. It gives you more time to settle down.

Mike.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:16 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

..great minds and all that.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:24 pm
Member who went to Aus

Mike - thanks for the help.

Do you mean the standard device power cable or the PC power cable or both?

I doubt if there is a australian version of xbox games. At least I hope not. I think it's just either PAL or NTSC. Mine plays both so I'm hoping it will be OK.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:26 pm
life begins again...

no worries
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:03 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cutgrass
Mike - thanks for the help.

Do you mean the standard device power cable or the PC power cable or both?

I doubt if there is a australian version of xbox games. At least I hope not. I think it's just either PAL or NTSC. Mine plays both so I'm hoping it will be OK.
The x-box games are the same....its just when u use ur x-box for playing dvd's that u have to watch the region on them
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to dissappoint you lot but we have any e-mail from X-box themselves stating the neither UK consoles or games will play in Aus. I have three males in the house, so imagine the sulks I got when they read it.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:31 pm
Member who went to Aus

They would probably say that American games will not work in the UK. That's not true either.

The games will work.

All I wanted to know was whether the power cable could be swapped for an Aus one without affecting the consoles operation.

It sounds like it can be swapped without problems although I would like to hear from someone who has actually done this.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:33 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by surfdude
Sorry to dissappoint you lot but we have any e-mail from X-box themselves stating the neither UK consoles or games will play in Aus. I have three males in the house, so imagine the sulks I got when they read it.

EEEEKKKK they must of been fibbing when I phoned them up they said it would work
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

I've got the actual e-mail out now it reads

"Your european xbox console is PAL BTS and Global region 2. It is designed to play games for consoles on PAL and region 2 . It will not play games from outside the region.

You may be able to get adaptors to get the box to play on Australian TV's and mains voltage, however the region coding would mean that you would be unable to play games purchased in Australia. If the console is still new I would advise you to take it back to the point of purchase"

[email protected].
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:46 pm
Triple Expat!

JimInSomerset is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cutgrass

All I wanted to know was whether the power cable could be swapped for an Aus one without affecting the consoles operation.

It sounds like it can be swapped without problems although I would like to hear from someone who has actually done this.
Swapping the power cables will work perfectly. Whether the console will play OZ released games I don't know. Anyone help?

Cheers

Jim