Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wow - I am homesick and happy!!!

Wow - I am homesick and happy!!!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by londoner
Well, I am sorry you don't agree with our accent, our supermarkets, our tv programmes etc.etc. but why be rude about it? You can state your opinion the same as everybody without resorting to putting people down - may I make a suggestion - GO HOME - we have a name for people who come here and talk like this - "whinging poms"
she aint there by choice mate
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Sandra,

Congratulations on your positive attitude. Some of us might say coming from Sydney sets a certain expectation smaller places (even in Australia) don't meet.

Remember Paul Keating's immortal words (quoted elsewhere) "if you don't live in Sydney, you are camping out."

In the meantime, I bet it's really easy to get to know folk if only at the conversation level. We have some NZ friends from country South Island who are absolutely mad but the best company. Claimed not to know what a return verandah is but I think they are pulling my leg.

Or are they? Please ask around.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:19 am
joem

Originally posted by Banksia

Remember Paul Keating's immortal words (quoted elsewhere) "if you don't live in Sydney, you are camping out."

That should read, "if you live in Australia, you are camping out"

joem.

Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Well, I am sorry you don't agree with our accent, our supermarkets, our tv programmes etc.etc. but why be rude about it? You can state your opinion the same as everybody without resorting to putting people down - may I make a suggestion - GO HOME - we have a name for people who come here and talk like this - "whinging poms"

Ahhhhh...i wondered how long it would be!!

Ladies and gentlemen, the post above highlights one of the top three reasons for us leaving NZ... this attitude is far too prevalent there...no sense of humour, and a HUGE chip on the shoulder.

Cultural cringe is a major pastime.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Have to agree with the no sense of humour..unless it's slipping on banana skins or fart jokes !!
After nearly 3 years I've learned to curb my "Pommie" humour - it's just too dry and people just think I'm being nasty... or strange !!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 7:51 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Chill out, and please don't presume to speak for all kiwis. Some of us do have a "sinse of humour" and can also look at both the positive and not so positive aspects of life in NZ.

I didn't think Sandra was being rude, in fact she made an effort to soften her words by pointing out that she had similar negative views when she got to Sydney.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:11 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
I didn't think Sandra was being rude, in fact she made an effort to soften her words by pointing out that she had similar negative views when she got to Sydney.
exactly, that was the whole point of her post. that people often have these feelings to a new place - some of them you realise are in fact true, some of them you realise were incorrect as you scratch beneath the surface. Some of them you get used to....

I could have written exactly the same list upon arrival in the UK - but now don't think any of that about the UK. it's a common reaction I think
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:38 am
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Hi Sandra,

you should have taken your wellies and shorts with velcro sewn to the thighs to keep this one happy.

As the Kiwis say - "We S**g em, & you eat em".

Most Kiwis that I know actually have a sense of humour.

Keep yer chin up, see you soon.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:05 am
Just Joined

londoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to disappoint you all - I AM A POM and love NZ. We have a great sense of humour but we are loyal to our country -= so, some of you left. Great - we actually dont need people who are rude, arrogant, critical and think they are the only ones you have it altogether. Maybe we are behind the times in some things but as far as we are concerned, that's what makes this a great place. We dont need to keep up with the rest of the world to make us happy - we have a wonderful, beautiful country I am happy to be here along with other Poms who feel the same way.........it's been a great place to bring up my children, fresh green and clean, and the reason we left the UK ?- just read the above posts and see the type of people we left behind....... I now withdraw from this Forum - and I am glad I dont belong here. I would be ashamed if I did.....
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:10 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

and I am glad I dont belong here. I would be ashamed if I did.....
Well we didn't like to say anything but.........

Don't be ashamed we understand about people without a sense of humour and get uptight when you poke fun at other cultures.

But hey I'm holding you up

Goodbye
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
Well we didn't like to say anything but.........

Don't be ashamed we understand about people without a sense of humour and get uptight when you poke fun at other cultures.

But hey I'm holding you up

Goodbye
cor get you garret, don't bring that scathing tone home from work tonight will ya:scared:
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:00 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disappoint you all - I AM A POM and love NZ. We have a great sense of humour but we are loyal to our country -= so, some of you left. Great - we actually dont need people who are rude, arrogant, critical and think they are the only ones you have it altogether. Maybe we are behind the times in some things but as far as we are concerned, that's what makes this a great place. We dont need to keep up with the rest of the world to make us happy - we have a wonderful, beautiful country I am happy to be here along with other Poms who feel the same way.........it's been a great place to bring up my children, fresh green and clean, and the reason we left the UK ?- just read the above posts and see the type of people we left behind....... I now withdraw from this Forum - and I am glad I dont belong here. I would be ashamed if I did.....
Awwww day wuz only jokun, lemme buy ya sum fush un chups