Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Cristian, for an Italian you have an exceptional grasp of the grammar and nuances of the English language- I salute you. As your ex has a 19 year old I assume that you're not some hapless youth who fell into a disastrous relationship? Therefore you really ought to be mature enough to make decisions for yourself. Posters have given you their opinions as you requested so even if you are unable to decide for yourself you now have plenty of meat on which to chew.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

C-Diddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Everybody I know is perfectly happy in the UK. You seem to be blaming the UK for an awful lot, and I'm afraid I don't think the country is the problem.

I would be very surprised if he did want that, if you're in Oz then your relationship is bound to suffer IMO, and I can't imagine he'd want to move halfway across the world for a father he hasn't lived with for years.

Again, I'd be surprised if he was. I know of 4 children (3 different families) whose fathers live in a different country, and despite regular phone calls etc, there's still a distance there. It's inevitable IMO, if you're not there to kiss the bruises better, be there for each school play or parents evening, listen to their problems at the end of the day, help with homework, watch them get their swimming badges, etc etc.

It's not the same I know, but I had one set of grandparents in the US and another in the UK growing up. The UK set came to all sorts of school things (sports days, nativity plays etc) and we saw them very regularly. The US set I only saw once or twice a year, and despite regular phone calls I was just never close to them as they didn't 'know' me or my life.

This is JMO and I'm just trying to play devils advocate, but you do seem to think that everything will be fine and I'm not sure you're facing the realities of a 10/11 year old boy whose father lives halfway across the world. I'm sorry, but I think when he's older and can understand that you chose to move away from him, he will naturally resent you for that and the distance will affect your relationship. I just think you need to consider what could happen to the relationship between father and son, and decide if it's worth it.

Good luck with your decision.
Hi again Oompa,
As always your replies are appreciated and I am grateful for them.
It's a tough call... I know that. Boy do I know that. I know that he may likely resent me, yet there is no set outcome in stone that is already in the future. Things can change, opportunities can change or new ones come through... I amy stay or I may leave... or I may leave and realise I should come back (like last time).

I know what he would face, I faced it myself as I didn't see my own mother for 14 years after my parents divorced. My dad pulled a sneaky and moved us to Rome from the USA and refused to let her know where we were. He got custody due to a technicality in the law process.

Anyway, I saw her 14 years after that of my own doing, not anyone else's. How am I today about all that? Pretty darn miffed as I will never get those years I lost with my mum back. Yet somehow the emotional side of things for me has been somewhat removed and dulled by now.

I still see my mum every year and in fact, I am seeing her this weekend for my birthday when she flies in from the states. My own father was barely around for me as he was a travelling businessman. Always between the USA and Europe. My entire family is splintered all over Europe and the USA.

I'm not using this information to justify my intended plan to move back to OZ, but I think it is just a natural part of my entire family to be this way. We are travellers, adventurers and seekers.

In any case, about the UK, from my own experiences over the past decade here and most of that in this particular area, it is crap. There are great things about the UK. The cons are too numerous.

I am going to be thinking long and hard about this decision and see what it brings, in the end. I'm doing my best to make things work here but if not,
I may have to just go.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tirytory
That just about says it all doesn't it.... Poor kid.
You're killin' me with your pessimism! I haven't decided yet!
Why are you so sad about this discussion?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pica
Cristian, for an Italian you have an exceptional grasp of the grammar and nuances of the English language- I salute you. As your ex has a 19 year old I assume that you're not some hapless youth who fell into a disastrous relationship? Therefore you really ought to be mature enough to make decisions for yourself. Posters have given you their opinions as you requested so even if you are unable to decide for yourself you now have plenty of meat on which to chew.
Thanks for the compliments.
Yes, I have a good mastery of English, having been born in the USA
I did live in Italy for many years though. Rome is quite a city!

I did not fall into anything haplessly, no. I met her when she had just her two sons. We then had our son. We are still friends even though the relationship ended.

I did ask for opinions, but some posters are being a bit aggressive and some have attacked my thoughts about this potential move. Indeed, I did create this thread in order to receive thoughts upon which to chew... many very good thoughts, some not so nice.

I can still defend myself if I feel I am being attacked rather than politely or amicably advised. Some people are very passionate about this topic, which is fine, but no need to condemn me for something I haven't even yet done.

Much of what posters have said will be helpful in my decision making process. So it isn't a loss or waste of time in here. I just want to hear people out, without all the judgement and attacks, those are not necessary. Surely people can express themselves with calm, objective and friendly feedback?

Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! When you previously said that you were with your father in Rome I assumed you were Italian- I apologise.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:39 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! When you previously said that you were with your father in Rome I assumed you were Italian- I apologise.
He said in post 16 that he is an Italian national.....so not surprising you would think that.

Mind you it is a bit difficult to keep track of it alllol:
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

LOL, it's OK, I AM half Italian and speak it fluently.
Father is Italian, Mother is American.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
He said in post 16 that he is an Italian national.....so not surprising you would think that.

Mind you it is a bit difficult to keep track of it alllol:
See post 97. We are off topic again!
I can also now see why you have over 17,000 posts to your name!!
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C-Diddy
See post 97. We are off topic again!
You have had several opinions.

I suspect this is simply a gross form of attention seeking or worse

Why say you are an Italian National then?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well the thread is going on and on- all something of a mystery isn't it
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
You have had several opinions.

I suspect this is simply a gross form of attention seeking or worse

Why say you are an Italian National then?
This is the danger of asking people's opinions in the forum. You lose track and then it all gets muddled because nobody wants to read it all from the first post to the last. Then trolls like you come in and start asking irrelevant questions just to get reactions, or confuse the issue... which is what I suspect about you

The last thing I want is attention. I want useful info to help me make my decision. But keep getting random snippets of judgement, aggression and criticism... instead of calm, friendly advice.

I'm not going to even grace that last question with an answer. Why else would I say I am an Italian national?? Have a goooood think about that one... tell me when it ''clicks'' up in that grey matter.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Well the thread is going on and on- all something of a mystery isn't it
Yes. I don't know why people keep asking me about so much off topic stuff!?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by C-Diddy
This is the danger of asking people's opinions in the forum. You lose track and then it all gets muddled because nobody wants to read it all from the first post to the last. Then trolls like you come in and start asking irrelevant questions just to get reactions, or confuse the issue... which is what I suspect about you

The last thing I want is attention. I want useful info to help me make my decision. But keep getting random snippets of judgement, aggression and criticism... instead of calm, friendly advice.

I'm not going to even grace that last question with an answer. Why else would I say I am an Italian national?? Have a goooood think about that one... tell me when it ''clicks'' up in that grey matter.
Which one of us is the Troll?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

The guy with over 17,000 posts... looks like a prime suspect to me
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

I'm just going to post this NOW:

No more input please. I have had enough opinions to now last me the rest of my living days! I shall muddle over people's input and then decide on what I want to do.

Thanks again everyone for your advice, thoughts, sarcasm, aggression, attacks and judgements. In the end all will prove to be something to consider.

All the best to you folks and take it easy. Happy to chat about other stuff in other posts should you like to natter some more

Drawing the line:
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

Last edited by C-Diddy; Jul 20th 2015 at 8:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.