Reload this Page >

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Old Jul 18th 2015, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

C-Diddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about going back to Australia again after 3 previous attempts to settle down and become a citizen. It has been my long term (20 years now) dream to become an Aussie Citizen, however, always have had family things come up and get in the way.

Now, I am feeling once again the urge and motivation to go back and settle in until at least I can get my Aussie Citizenship. I am already a Permanent Resident and have had this since the 1990s.

The only thing that is weighing on my mind is that I have a 7 year old son here in the UK and the last time I left OZ was mainly for his sake to be around for him more. That was nearly 3 years ago.

I'm looking for people's opinions on what to do, because I am really vexed with indecision now. My all time biggest dream is and always has been to become an Aussie Citizen. Yet I am still feeling angst at the thought of going away from my boy again for long periods of time. I DO plan on visiting him around 3-4 times a year as and when possible until I get the Citizenship.

So my question is really.... Should I just go for it and realise my dream... or sacrifice that dream and stay around for my boy ? My heart says realise the dream.... but then it also says stay for your boy. It's very perplexing!

Would appreciate anyone's opinions, thoughts, suggestions...

Just to clarify, I'm not planning to go away forever, just long enough to fulfill citizenship, so I can freely travel back and forth etc until my son is old enough to perhaps move back to OZ with me some day...

Thanks for reading
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Just asking for advice and thoughts... anyone is welcome to share...
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why you are so determined to get citizenship of a country that you don't intend to live in long term.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I don't understand why you are so determined to get citizenship of a country that you don't intend to live in long term.
It's called...leaving the door open. You never know what may happen in the future...or how you will feel. That said...there is a young son the OP will be leaving behind to fulfil her dream. I know which one I would choose and it wouldn't involve leaving my son.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 18th 2015 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi, thanks for replying with your thoughts...
I intended to settle in Australia in the long term. But maintain my ties in the UK. Once an Aussie Citizen, the plan is to return to UK and after my son was old enough, get back to OZ, and maybe with him at that stage. It's just the idea at this time...
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's called...leaving the door open. You never know what may happen in the future...or how you will feel. That said...there is a young son the OP will be leaving behind to fulfil her dream. I know which one I would choose and it wouldn't involve leaving my son.
Hi and thanks for the reply. As the Dad of my son, I have had mixed feelings about leaving him behind with his mum. His mum and I split up 4 years ago. I had gone to OZ when he was 3 and tried for 5 months to get going but the heart tugs were too much and so I came back to the UK. My son is 7 now and it still feels really difficult even just thinking about going back again.

But my dream has always been to become a Citizen and eventually settle permanently. And one day bring my boy with me back there... depending how he decides about living with his mum of course.

As I said, it wouldn't be permanently leaving my son, it would be my 4 year mission to get citizenship to ''leave the door open'' for the future,...as you said...

so, that clarified, can I ask you for further thoughts from you on it?
Thanks again
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:38 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, you becoming a citizen does not give your child an automatic path to move to Australia unless his mum allows him to move before his 18th birthday.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 11:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CristianD
Hi and thanks for the reply. As the Dad of my son, I have had mixed feelings about leaving him behind with his mum. His mum and I split up 4 years ago. I had gone to OZ when he was 3 and tried for 5 months to get going but the heart tugs were too much and so I came back to the UK. My son is 7 now and it still feels really difficult even just thinking about going back again.

But my dream has always been to become a Citizen and eventually settle permanently. And one day bring my boy with me back there... depending how he decides about living with his mum of course.

As I said, it wouldn't be permanently leaving my son, it would be my 4 year mission to get citizenship to ''leave the door open'' for the future,...as you said...

so, that clarified, can I ask you for further thoughts from you on it?
Thanks again
For some reason I assumed you were the mum. Don't know why I thought that...not that it matters. Certainly a difficult decision for you to make.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 4:45 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you think a child would want to leave a country and a parent they've known all their life for one who chose to be absent? Put yourself in your son's shoes.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't get the burning desire to become a citizen of a foreign country when you are already a citizen of a first world country. You bring a child into this world, your priorities change and the child is the most important thing not some nebulous dream. Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans!
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CristianD
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about going back to Australia again after 3 previous attempts to settle down and become a citizen. It has been my long term (20 years now) dream to become an Aussie Citizen, however, always have had family things come up and get in the way.

Now, I am feeling once again the urge and motivation to go back and settle in until at least I can get my Aussie Citizenship. I am already a Permanent Resident and have had this since the 1990s.

The only thing that is weighing on my mind is that I have a 7 year old son here in the UK and the last time I left OZ was mainly for his sake to be around for him more. That was nearly 3 years ago.

I'm looking for people's opinions on what to do, because I am really vexed with indecision now. My all time biggest dream is and always has been to become an Aussie Citizen. Yet I am still feeling angst at the thought of going away from my boy again for long periods of time. I DO plan on visiting him around 3-4 times a year as and when possible until I get the Citizenship.

So my question is really.... Should I just go for it and realise my dream... or sacrifice that dream and stay around for my boy ? My heart says realise the dream.... but then it also says stay for your boy. It's very perplexing!

Would appreciate anyone's opinions, thoughts, suggestions...

Just to clarify, I'm not planning to go away forever, just long enough to fulfill citizenship, so I can freely travel back and forth etc until my son is old enough to perhaps move back to OZ with me some day...

Thanks for reading
Is your PR still valid or has it expired?
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teza
Just to clarify, you becoming a citizen does not give your child an automatic path to move to Australia unless his mum allows him to move before his 18th birthday.
Hi, yes I'm aware of that. I said that's what I am hoping to plan... based on circumstances, but my main question is whether I stay and forget my Aussie dream or go and have that door open for future ...
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For some reason I assumed you were the mum. Don't know why I thought that...not that it matters. Certainly a difficult decision for you to make.
That's ok, lol. Mistakes happen. It is very tough, yes. But I am thinking about the future. I'm not having a lot of success here in the UK and have always done well in Australia for some reason. Just wondering if going back to OZ and investing that crucial 4 year time frame would be the best option, even though that would mean seeing my son on a limited basis for 4 years. But I have spoken with him about it, and he says he is fine with it and we would talk on the phone, lol. But still... I'm not sure he realises the full impact of the decision.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Why would you think a child would want to leave a country and a parent they've known all their life for one who chose to be absent? Put yourself in your son's shoes.
Hi, that may be an interesting assumption, but a wrong one in this case. Not to be rude. But the situation is I was only gone 5 months last time I went. But I have been in his life fulltime from birth til he was nearly 4. Then after his mum and I split, I've had him alternate weekends ever since I got back from my last Australian 5 month visit. He is quite well a good part of my life at the moment.

I know it's hard to understand details in this type of post, as the full background story is never told as it is usually way too long! lol. Anyway, I see your concern from your point of view, but that doesn't apply in this situation.
My son has known both of his parents equally since (apart from after the split in which I have had him alternate weekends since.

My son has expressed an interest in wanting to live with me already, several times, of his own free thinking, so that is why I think about maybe he might want to come live with me there some day in future. But nothing is set in stone, its all thoughts and ideas at present. Thanks for your time to input.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

But you haven't answered... Is the travel portion of your PR visa still valid or has it expired? If you don't have a valid visa then all of the above is moot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.