Reload this Page >

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

C-Diddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've just realised who you are (not in a weird stalking sense, just in a 'oh, I've seen your PA ad on the other side of the forum sense'!).

So I'm confused, if you're an experienced Private PA, then you shouldn't be constantly struggling and in debt constantly? Perhaps salaries are massively different in Birmingham, but in London you could easily be on £40-60k a year (six figures if you're really top of the game, although that would involve a lot of travel - which may negate the whole reason to stay in the UK and be with your son), which would hardly be 'poverty'. £25-30ph for agency work in London.

So if you can't find work in Birmingham, then why not move elsewhere in the UK? You'd be an awful lot closer to your son than if you were in Oz, and if you were in London then you'd have plenty of time with him and still be able to see him at weekends.

And FWIW, I don't think your son would grow up thinking poorly of you even if you did struggle and not have much in the way of material possessions - if he's seen you work hard, then I'd imagine he'd respect you hugely for that. If you haven't guessed, I'm also in the 'no way should you leave your son and move to the other side of the world' camp!

If you decide to stay in the UK and want a few agencies to contact in London that deal with Private PA jobs, then send me a PM and I'll give you the details of the ones I'm registered with.

Good luck.
Hey Oompa,
Thanks for the thoughts again, yes you saw me in the work section, lol. Well.. I agree 100% with what you said. It makes sense. And I'm feeling possibly becoming more swayed to stay in the UK, BUT ONLY if I can get myself into some good work! My son is extremely important to me and I just didn't want to be a disappointment to him by my current lack. Perhaps London might be a better answer then... I'll PM you and that would be great if you can help!
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
I will just add, you mention the economic reasons for doing this. You do know that the oz economy is starting to look for shaky with unemployment rising.
Hi. Yes I have heard, but it always seems to be better than it is here for some reason... will have to keep an eye on that too!
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
While I'm not a dad (obviously, being female and all) I can give you the perspective of a father who worked away while his kids were growing up and those now adult children. My partner has 6 children and he worked his butt off to provide for them and his ex-wife. Usually working on a 4/1 or 5/1 roster in the mines. Yes, he had a house paid off by the time he was 30. Yes he made a stack of money. And yes the kids didn't want for anything material. However what they did miss (and this is from talking to them as adults now) was their father in their lives. When dad only comes home one week in 5 or 6 he's tired and just needs to unwind from weeks of long days away. He missed the births of 5 of his 6 children because he was away. He missed Christmas mornings, birthdays, anniversaries with his ex-wife, the Easter bunny coming, being the tooth fairy and all the little things parents don't realise they have until they aren't available to them. While the kids love their father they never really had much chance to get to know him as a dad and that hurts him and I'm sure it hurt them.

If you really want to move to Australia then I think you should. I'm not going to say you're 'walking out' or 'abandoning' your son. I think what you want to hear is that you should leave the UK and come here to live. I wish you luck finding a job in Perth (trust me, I've been looking for months) as a PA making the kind of money and benefits that would allow you to travel to visit your son as often as you want to, bearing in mind that you will be paying child support to your son's mother.

So...My vote is move to Australia but do it with all of the information available that you can get. Don't take what others have said as negative or judgemental; they're only trying to help you understand what obstacles you may face.
Hi Dorothy,

Yes that all really paints a clear picture and perspective to think about.
I already missed a Christmas and birthday when I was last out there and I felt really sad about it. I remember my son telling me on Skype: ''Daddy, when are you going to come out of the computer?'' And man did that get me in knots and lumps in my throat and tears ran...

I appreciate your supportive words and encouragement. I'm still considering everything everyone has said in here and I have to weigh all the consequences and pros. It on't be easy. and hearing about the Aussie economy not being so good, I think it will be a challenge again maybe if I go back this year. Lots to consider and think about for sure.

Thanks again for honest and thoughtful feedback. I appreciate it a lot.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C-Diddy
Hi. Yes I have heard, but it always seems to be better than it is here for some reason... will have to keep an eye on that too!
You say you split from your wife 4 years ago?

But 7 years ago you were living with your family( at the time your son was born?) and unemployed then....you also lived in Rome for 8 years?

What age are you?....this is all very confusing

Edit.....my mistake I said parents instead of family

Last edited by Grayling; Jul 20th 2015 at 8:54 am.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:31 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I do hear you and understand what you're saying. My thinking about the money side of things is what use am I if I cannot provide adequately for him...? What can I possibly offer him other than my time and presence?
Oh, it's too sad You can offer him your TIME and PRESENCE. The rest is icing - time and presence are the real deal.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GarryP
OK, I'd suggest that the Australia part is something of a red herring.

You are basically saying should you base your life around your child for at least the next 10 years, or should you move on (however difficult that might be). You have to recognise that if you are in Oz for the next 4 years (as he grows from 7 to 11) you will grow away from him somewhat, and he from you. You wouldn't be able to come back and take over where you left off.

I don't know what your relationship is like with the boy's mother - I'm assuming not great.

I'm going to say something that will have the mothers at my throat, but I'd personally say you probably need to move on in some way - in that given the separation, your life shouldn't be centred around being available to your child. You are probably going to have to move on after less than ten years anyway - kids being what they are. There is also the likelihood of your ex shacking up with someone else, and him taking the 'father' role.

Now, you have no way of being sure that you'll actually want to stick Australia out long term, so even targeting citizenship and 4 years is debatable. What's not (AFAIC) is that you need to make what you can of your life for yourself, not put it on hold.

It would probably be better if you could agree something amicably with your ex regards he, and possibly they, visiting you in Australia for several weeks over Christmas each year, coupled with you taking a trip or two home during the year. That would help quite a bit. However divorcees tend to not end up so reasonable.

So, my suggestion is that this isn't a question of Australia so much as a question of moving on - and you need to answer that question first.
Hi Garry,

You seem to have a great point of view here that I've not thought of. Moving on... Maybe that is it. Perhaps that's what I need. I have thought of the fact that when my son IS all grown up... and on his own as an adult, what will I be doing? Will I be hanging around in the slums with little money and in a bedsit because I chose to stay just to be around for him? Not to put that in a negative context, of course I want to be available to him. But I am thinking of his needs but also my own needs? It's a conflict. My needs for myself are way different than his needs of me. Yet I want to be around for him and not lose him to the new man in my ex's life.

I do actually get along well enough with my son's mum still. We even have a laugh from time to time about our son's latest sayings or doings. She has moved on and has had a new man in her life for over a year now. We split up four years ago and she stayed single for a year after that then started dating again. I did the same really. I stayed single for about a year and started dating too after that.

So... more to think about now... ''moving on''... I mean I have already replied to Christmasoompa stating if I could get a well enough paid job in the UK, I'd consider staying for that and my son. But lord knows if that will happen here. I may need to think about London way but thats 3 hours away from here. Albeit, I could afford train rides and hotels on a PA salary in London.

Thanks again, lots of good feedback and ideas today...
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
You say you split from your wife 4 years ago?

But 7 years ago you were living with your parents ( at the time your son was born?) and unemployed then....you also lived in Rome for 8 years?

What age are you?....this is all very confusing
Huh? what are you talking about? lol.

I was never living with my parents!!?

When my son was born, I was living with my son's mother.
Wasn't unemployed then.

I lived in Rome with my father only as a child like 30 years ago (for 8 years). 1985 to 1993.

Clearer now?
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Oh, it's too sad You can offer him your TIME and PRESENCE. The rest is icing - time and presence are the real deal.
+1. I find the question 'what can I possibly offer him other than my time and presence' incredibly sad. That's the best thing you can offer your child, days out don't mean anything if you're not there for 350 days of the year and not part of his life.

Days out don't have to cost anything anyway, or can be done very cheaply, so I'm not sure why you think you can't take him anywhere. As an example, we often go to the museums in London on a Sunday (granted, we're closer to London than you, but there must be similar near you). Parking is free, entry is free, and then we take a packed lunch for when we're there. The kids love somewhere like the Natural History Museum or Science Museum, and other than some petrol it doesn't cost us a penny.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Huh? what are you talking about? lol.

I was never living with my parents!!?

When my son was born, I was living with my son's mother.
Wasn't unemployed then.
In 2008 you posted on this forum that were looking for cheap accomodation in Rome as you had no money....anyone can see that from your posts back then

Sorry...you said family not parents...my mistake

Last edited by Grayling; Jul 20th 2015 at 8:49 am.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yes agreed, but what about me? After all the time and presence I give him... and he grows up and I am stuck in the UK as an old grey hermit in a bedsit?
Granted that if I cannot find work and a new lady to spend my life with.

Unless I can get my career back on track here which I have mentioned in previous posts. Then I might consider staying in the UK if I can find a good opportunity to make a good life here.

Oh so much to think about
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

In 2008 you posted on this forum that you were living with your parents and were looking for cheap accomodation in Rome as you had no money....anyone can see that from your posts back then
I would not have posted that. I will have to look at that. Unless my account got hacked
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. I find the question 'what can I possibly offer him other than my time and presence' incredibly sad. That's the best thing you can offer your child, days out don't mean anything if you're not there for 350 days of the year and not part of his life.

Days out don't have to cost anything anyway, or can be done very cheaply, so I'm not sure why you think you can't take him anywhere. As an example, we often go to the museums in London on a Sunday (granted, we're closer to London than you, but there must be similar near you). Parking is free, entry is free, and then we take a packed lunch for when we're there. The kids love somewhere like the Natural History Museum or Science Museum, and other than some petrol it doesn't cost us a penny.
Those are all great ideas. Petrol though for me is the killer expense around here. Places are quite far. I sent you a PM about the PA work enquiry offer. Hopefully maybe, I can find something in that sector and get started on ''moving on''... as previously mentioned to me by another forum poster.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:51 am
Bitter and twisted

I would not have posted that. I will have to look at that. Unless my account got hacked
My mistake....i have corrected my previous post.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes agreed, but what about me? After all the time and presence I give him... and he grows up and I am stuck in the UK as an old grey hermit in a bedsit?
Blimey, defeatist much?! As I've said on a couple of occasions now, you can earn good money as a Private PA. I'm curious as to what on earth you were paid in your last Private PA job if you really think you'd have to live in a bedsit, be in 'poverty', never be able to afford days out etc?! Even allowing for London salaries, you should be on £30k as a minimum elsewhere in the country surely? Hardly bedsit territory. And would you really earn that much more in Australia as a PA?

I've PM'ed you back with some agencies that I've used in the past, there are lots of others if you want to Google them - Greycoat Lumleys, Knightsbridge Recruitment, Randolphs, PA Connect and Exclusive Household Staff are a few others that spring to mind.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

My mistake....i have corrected my previous post.
Hi Grayling,

I've just had a look...

This was my post back then... so not hacked... but yes you made a mistake, which is ok.

I wrote:

''Hello forum,

I am living in the UK at present with my family and I have to make a short but urgent trip to Rome in May or June for about 2 weeks for personal reasons.

I have the misfortune of not being able to afford the usual accommodations (most I have found are just too expensive for me at this time).

Some friends of mine here have suggested that people sometimes have spare rooms to sublet very cheap or offer in exchange for a bit of work, etc. I am just posting this message to see if anybody living in Rome would be willing to offer a spare room if available for the short time I need to be there?

Any assistance, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

~Cristian''

I was having some passport issues with the Italian Government back then, because they are idiots and actually lost my citizenship records (took over a year to sort it), and it cost me a fortune to get it fixed, hence the no money and the need at the time to return to Rome (where my Father lived).

Anyway, that all was since resolved and has no bearing on my current situation. Thanks for checking though, the memories! LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.