Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:03 pm
Banned

horace is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

We have visited OZ once and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My wife and I explored Port Douglas and the east coast to Adelede.

Thank you OZ a truly amazing experince !!

Whilst in your beautful country (yes, we only experienced the `tourist bits`) we were impressed both by the culture, friendlyness, pace of life and the weather.

It seemed to me that people rushed along the pavements cluching polysterine mugs of coffee (?) in a desperate show of lateness in order to be on time and responsible.

Am I looking at OZ thro` rose tinted glasses? What is the real OZ like for a would be whinging pom?

I should say this is a wind up......... or is it? You chose.

h

Last edited by horace; Sep 23rd 2010 at 8:16 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:44 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Originally Posted by horace
We have visited OZ once and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My wife and I explored Port Douglas and the east coast to Adelede.

Whilst in your beautful country (yes, we only experienced the `tourist bits`) we were impressed both by the culture, friendlyness, pace of life and the weather.

It seemed to me that people rushed along the pavements cluching polysterine mugs of coffee (?) in a desperate show of lateness in order to be on time and responsible.

Am I looking at OZ thro` rose tinted glasses? What is the real OZ like for a would be whinging pom?

h
l guess if your main experience of OZ is from staying at a holiday resort at Pt Douglas and coastal tourist towns your looking through the worlds biggest pair of rose tinted glasses. You say there was a slow pace of life and friendly people l guess that often is the case on holidays and staying in coastal resorts and tourist towns but not in the real world or real life OZ.

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 23rd 2010 at 8:47 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Mmmm coffee!

Definitely laid back in Adelaide...no-one I work with rushes anywhere
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Its easy to get that impression from a holiday. My experience is that its largely the same as the UK in that you go to work, you do the family stuff, schools, kids etc. The daily grind is not really all that different. Its the spare time that is so much better for us. More options, all new and exciting.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:34 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

do you want talking into it ? or out of it?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was in London recently. First time there, having only lived in North America and Australia. I loved the rush of the crowds, the sense that everyone was busy, the accents, the shops, high tea and tourist attractions. I even loved the underground. Yes, I was looking through tourist's eyes in my rose coloured glasses. Should I move there based on a tourist's impression? I am the only one who can answer that question since I am the only person who knows what's best for me.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

h
Wind up? Nah mate, that's a pretty representative view of day to day life in Oz.

I can't move for the sound of crushed coffee cups that people have just left on the street ... it takes a bit of getting used to but the sound of compressing polystyrene is the soundtrack to my life and, dare I venture it, a national treasure.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

h
It's quite normal, most people disappear for 3 hours a day to get their coffee which apparently they need to function at their job.

And yet when I piss off down the pub for 2 hours at lunchtime I get a bollocking.

JTL
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:46 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It's quite normal, most people disappear for 3 hours a day to get their coffee which apparently they need to function at their job.

And yet when I piss off down the pub for 2 hours at lunchtime I get a bollocking.

JTL
Which reminds me, nearly time to head for the bar for a loooooong afternoon/evening ... hey, I'm NETWORKING!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I was in London recently. First time there, having only lived in North America and Australia. I loved the rush of the crowds, the sense that everyone was busy, the accents, the shops, high tea and tourist attractions. I even loved the underground. Yes, I was looking through tourist's eyes in my rose coloured glasses. Should I move there based on a tourist's impression? I am the only one who can answer that question since I am the only person who knows what's best for me.
We were also in London recently and loved it. As usual it was buzzing and heaving with tourists (the weak GBP is good for something!). There's so much to see and do there and it truely is a world class city. Living and working there is a different story. Unless you are fabulously wealthy, the daily grind of commuting, working, battling the crowds, the pollution, the shit winter weather etc can really get you down.

The rat race of SE England/London was one of the main reasons for us moving to Australia.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I lived and worked in the City of London for 6 months, just beside the barbican. This was around 9/11 time. So I loved the way the tube would shut down repeatedly and I'd have to walk 4 miles in to work. I've loved the way the whole of the city of london (the specific area, not London in general), shuts down at the weekend, so there are no open supermarkets or pubs.

Great place. Reminds of Brisbane after 7pm.

JTL
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I lived and worked in the City of London for 6 months, just beside the barbican. This was around 9/11 time. So I loved the way the tube would shut down repeatedly and I'd have to walk 4 miles in to work. I've loved the way the whole of the city of london (the specific area, not London in general), shuts down at the weekend, so there are no open supermarkets or pubs.

Great place. Reminds of Brisbane after 7pm.

JTL
Train drivers here in Perth on strike again today so I'm stuck in the city, 45 km from home, with no guarentee that I'll get home this arvo. Could be a long walk.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:37 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

What RenShen said
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:45 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I know what's best for you too...
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:43 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

It will depend a great deal on you and who you are - not where you are moving to.

Australia certainly isn't for everyone. There's about a 50 50 split as to those that stay and those that leave. I'd say the biggest gripes I find people going on about, whether they love the place or hate it, are how rough australians can be - bit hard arsed and bogan and proud of it. But if you're the sort that can get along with anyone (be honest with yourself) you'll mostly likely find you'll be one of those wanting to stay.

You'll definitely have a much more out door life style, even down south, compared to the UK.

For me personally, when I am interested in something, such as a move to australia, I ask questions that are designed to bring out the negative aspects in peoples opinions. Some say that is fostering a negative attitude but I see it as the positives are only going to make my life better but the negatives are going to make my life hell and can quite easily cause everything to unravel so I'd prefer to avoid them as much as possible. So don't be afraid of digging up dirt so you can at least make allowances and or maybe even avoid the possible negatives that you could face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.