Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:26 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Originally Posted by horace
We have visited OZ once and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My wife and I explored Port Douglas and the east coast to Adelede.

Thank you OZ a truly amazing experince !!

Whilst in your beautful country (yes, we only experienced the `tourist bits`) we were impressed both by the culture, friendlyness, pace of life and the weather.

It seemed to me that people rushed along the pavements cluching polysterine mugs of coffee (?) in a desperate show of lateness in order to be on time and responsible.

Am I looking at OZ thro` rose tinted glasses? What is the real OZ like for a would be whinging pom?

I should say this is a wind up......... or is it? You chose.

h
It's a wind up.

You've managed 18 posts in two years and if people want to review your first few posts you came across as a pedantic pillock.

Why on earth did you come back again?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's a wind up.

You've managed 18 posts in two years and if people want to review your first few posts you came across as a pedantic pillock.

Why on earth did you come back again?
Hmmm... next candidate for the "Wooden Spoon In Circular Action" award?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

bhaven is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of work - I find its the same as UK

In terms of socializing - much better and more time than UK.

Better for kids - safety and schools

More expensive (mainly due to groceries)

Far away from Relatives...

Overall I think its costs you but worth it in the long run especially for kids..
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:02 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Its easy to get that impression from a holiday. My experience is that its largely the same as the UK in that you go to work, you do the family stuff, schools, kids etc. The daily grind is not really all that different. Its the spare time that is so much better for us. More options, all new and exciting.
yip
Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:02 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
do you want talking into it ? or out of it?
the perfect question
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mic n mat

Australia certainly isn't for everyone. There's about a 50 50 split as to those that stay and those that leave. I'd say the biggest gripes I find people going on about, whether they love the place or hate it, are how rough australians can be - bit hard arsed and bogan and proud of it. But if you're the sort that can get along with anyone (be honest with yourself) you'll mostly likely find you'll be one of those wanting to stay.

You'll definitely have a much more out door life style, even down south, compared to the UK.
I agree with the rough/bogan comments totally, even in wealthy areas the behaviour of neighbours still shocks us, often totally inconsiderate of anyone else, people are pretty rough and dont give a fig who else has to listen to them.

I dont agree totally with the outdoor living thing, in most parts of OZ for a large chunk of the year its too hot to do much outside at all. Plus depending on state you can add some other awful factor such as flies, extreme UV or humidity and you end up dashing from one AC spot to another for a bit of relief

Good post.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I agree with the rough/bogan comments totally, even in wealthy areas the behaviour of neighbours still shocks us, often totally inconsiderate of anyone else, people are pretty rough and dont give a fig who else has to listen to them.
The thing is Jad, wealthy does not equate with good behaviour....why do people do this?

If people think Australians are rough then they have somehow limited themselves unknowingly...why I wonder!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The thing is Jad, wealthy does not equate with good behaviour....why do people do this?

If people think Australians are rough then they have somehow limited themselves unknowingly...why I wonder!
I assume many people coming here would think, rough could be avoided by buying in a nice area, and thats not the case at all.

You are much more aware of your neighbours here, we have far more space space but windows and door open day and night mean you are mighty familiar with all who live within 100 metres+ .

I dont think anyone has said all australians are rough, but there is a certain national pride in being pissed, loud, swearing, dressing acting yobbishly by a large element of the population. Yes other countries have rough people but few other countries are proud of it
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Yes I was going to make this point. This poster is equating wealth with breeding and education, which in the days of $150 per hour tradesmen and philosophy lecturers who can only get six hours teaching a week is a big mistake to make.

I know how to ensure you have good neighbours, but I'm not going to say so on here that's for sure!

I'm adding that no, I am not a philosophy lecturer and yes, I do know some really nice tradies. I'm just making a rough point and I know most people will get the one I'm making about wealth not necessarily guranteeing polite behaviour.

Last edited by Seneca21; Sep 27th 2010 at 1:20 am.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:30 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seneca21
I know how to ensure you have good neighbours, but I'm not going to say so on here that's for sure!
Why not? Why is it such a big secret?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:23 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Originally Posted by horace
Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia?
I'm an Australian, and here's my 2p:

Australia is not for everyone. If you have no compelling reason to go... don't.

Write a list of the things you really want out of life. If you already have them in the UK (or you're already on the way to getting them) then why look elsewhere? Australia won't necessarily change your life for the better; it's not a magic wheel that spins straw into gold.

Like most places, Australia is a land of swings and roundabouts. You have to trade them off against each other. Some things are cheaper - a lot cheaper - than the UK. Other things are more expensive - a lot more expensive - than the UK. Find out what they are, and compare them. Try to estimate their impact on your family budget.

Consider your relationships with family and friends. Are you so close that you can't live without each other? Are you fairly independent? Could you cope effectively without your usual support network for months on end? Do you make friends easily, or are you happy to have "quality over quantity"?

Do you enjoy regular overseas holidays on the continent? Bear in mind that these will be almost unaffordable when you're flying from the southern hemisphere. Driving to Paris is great fun, but the Chunnel doesn't quite reach Australia. If you're the sort of person who would miss the benefits of proximity to Europe, think carefully before making a decision.

Above all, don't move to Australia "just to see what it's like". If that's your primary motivation, just take another holiday - and make it a long one.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Sep 27th 2010 at 2:26 am.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I assume many people coming here would think, rough could be avoided by buying in a nice area, and thats not the case at all.

You are much more aware of your neighbours here, we have far more space space but windows and door open day and night mean you are mighty familiar with all who live within 100 metres+ .

I dont think anyone has said all australians are rough, but there is a certain national pride in being pissed, loud, swearing, dressing acting yobbishly by a large element of the population. Yes other countries have rough people but few other countries are proud of it
Jad, I don't think Australia has the only people who are proud of being yobbish but you've made your point clear - and it is a valid one - about some Australians acting yobbishly in a broad demographic of society to the point where it seems apparently the norm.

Loud parties are OK sometimes...the problem is when people are boorish all the time and can't ever modify their behaviour!!! I learnt at a very early age that you can act dispicably ;-) if you can present yourself and act accordingly when the moment comes...lol

The issue of a nice area is a problem lets face it. Wealthy and expensive might mean new money - materialistic and loud - who knows? The poster you are quoting mentions that a good trait is to get on with everyone. I've said this before but there is a tendency for a UK demographic who do not have much experience of different people and who place an emphasis on what they see as respectable to move and find themselves dissapointed. What they see as rough and below them - 'chav' behaviour in the UK - is found at their equivalent demographic level in Australia and they find themselves in the middle of it. I can't emphasise this enough.

The thing is that an expat has to enter Australian society at a higher and more interesting level which the most disappointed expats fail to do, and therefore exclude themselves.

One of the reasons I like where we live is that although there is a lot of old money in families from all sorts of backgrounds - people come from all walks of life but the true bogan problem, as recognised in the true sense of the word, is rather curtailed. As it is semi-rural, and has a sense of community it also excludes the lazy and people who want to lock themselves indoors and consume, and the people who want to use their land to store and operate loud machinery irresponsibly which gets reported elsewhere. The only exception is my neighbour who has bogan sons but their parties are now few and far between and a few times a year - and in any case, before we had children, we got invited anyhow!

Moving to Australia - it's a case of buyer beware, unfortunately and to be successful, the expat has to be highly selective more so than ever.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:40 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We were also in London recently and loved it. As usual it was buzzing and heaving with tourists (the weak GBP is good for something!). There's so much to see and do there and it truely is a world class city. Living and working there is a different story. Unless you are fabulously wealthy, the daily grind of commuting, working, battling the crowds, the pollution, the shit winter weather etc can really get you down.

The rat race of SE England/London was one of the main reasons for us moving to Australia.
2nd for me, 1st being the weather.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
2nd for me, 1st being the weather.
The weather is hard work there, for sure. Seven months are essentially winter months, and this means that 7/12 of your life is spent in the winter. Or 58% if you prefer a percentage.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:58 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seneca21
The weather is hard work there, for sure. Seven months are essentially winter months, and this means that 7/12 of your life is spent in the winter. Or 58% if you prefer a percentage.
Or pretty much all year round as it seemed when there! If you was lucky you'd get a few 'good weeks' in the summer. Hey, even Septembers were nice, but not quite the same as 20 - 30C all year round ...

"oh but I miss the seasons!" (I hear people say) ... then you're welcome to em!

Hot and hotter is the 2 seasons here and I live with that fine thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.