Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth joining the ACS

Is it worth joining the ACS

Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth joining the ACS

Hi - I did the RPL assessment last year and received a positive assessment. My boyfriend then got a job offer and I am coming over as a defacto on his Visa - which enables me to work. The ACS sent me a pre-filled application for membership of the ACS - is it advisable to join? is this something that is looked favourable by employers? - also I was think that if I do apply for PR at a later date I may not have to go through the whole RPL process again.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it worth joining the ACS

I joined. I figured that it would be a pain to join them later as I'd have to give them transcripts again.

Membership demonstrates that you have a certain level of qualification and experience....etc... Magazine is quite good too.

I would join....you can always pay one year and then give it up.....but once you have joined once you can re-join several year's later if need be without all the hassle.

Anything that helps you look good on a CV is worth a little bit of cash.

Originally posted by scamp
Hi - I did the RPL assessment last year and received a positive assessment. My boyfriend then got a job offer and I am coming over as a defacto on his Visa - which enables me to work. The ACS sent me a pre-filled application for membership of the ACS - is it advisable to join? is this something that is looked favourable by employers? - also I was think that if I do apply for PR at a later date I may not have to go through the whole RPL process again.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Cath is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you a member of the BCS because if you are they have a recipricol arrangement with the ACS and joining is dead simple.

If you are a member of the ACS you wont have to do RPL. My husband joined for exactly that reason.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent - I will join then. I am a member of the BCS but only as a graduate member - could never be bothered to get around to doing any exams. Am very lazy! Keep thinking of doing some MCPs but thinking about it is as far as I get....too many distractions and it will be worse in Sydney!
Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if it is still the case, but some mortgage providers give a discount on their rate for “Professionals�, including members of the ACS. Your employer may even sponsor your membership.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 3:27 am
owieb

Originally posted by dracupg
Not sure if it is still the case, but some mortgage providers give a discount on their rate for “Professionals�, including members of the ACS. Your employer may even sponsor your membership.
We got "special" rates with WestPac for being "professionals", but what exactly we were professional in I've no idea!