Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The worst day so far....but it's still good..

The worst day so far....but it's still good..

Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:32 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default The worst day so far....but it's still good..

Hi there,

This is the time you want your friends and family around you, but you do get through it.......

Wife admitted to hospital last night after throwing up violently for hours on end... face swollen, abdomen swollen etc...Doctor was Liverpudlian, Nurse was Scottish and second nurse was also English, so no major differences there...no transport to get her there, so had to call an ambulance (hope the medical insurance I took out in the UK covers this)....been here for 4 weeks, so I couldn't really rely on anyone to help.

After 1000ml of saline, several bouts of vomit catching and drugs, we were sent home at 5am. Slept til 10 am, though the wife is still very ill. 12 noon, the ceiling in the apartment burst and water poured in from around the sprinkler, over the fridge and floor....ran upstairs to find a plumber draining off the hot water tank of that apartment...explained the problem to him and he pointed to the installers of the system as not routing the drain off properly, hence the problem. Called the Property Managers who took 3 hours to get back to me.....typical. Water stopped an hour after that and I managed to mop most of it up. Excellent.
Wife is now too ill to start her new job (first job in NZ) until next week, thus missing a training course. NZ employers have been fantastic about it though and said don't worry - if shes' still ill next week, there's no real problem. Phew !!!

It would have been nice to have friends and family on hand to assist / feed the cat, but we still got through the worst of it.....just bear it in mind when you think, I wish I was home...

knackered and with a headache, Rich.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

One of my best mates lives in Wellington and likes to drink a lot ...if you think it might be a help I'll give him a shout.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

There is an awful virus or stomach flu going round over here at the mo. Kids are dropping with it, fine one minute violent vomiting the next. Went to the school to pick up little boy and there were 18 kids all vomiting in the sick room.

Thankfully it disappears as fast as it came, I know what you mean about vomit catching, we missed one, metre wide pool of puke on the polished wood floor then kiddo slips in it. Fun in our house at 3 am I can tell you.

Anyway hope shes better soon.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Poor things, hope your wife is soon feeling much better.
On the bright side, hopefully things can only get better! It's odd isn't not having a networkof people you can just ring & say help. It will come in time though as you make new friends.

Fingers crossed all goes well from now

Loopy
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:49 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the sympathy and offers of help (Rich S). I think we're through the worst of it now thankfully. I just wanted to let people know that you do get through it, even though you think, "sh*t, I can't call anyone to just....."

I hope the insurance are cool now - I didn't phone the emergency line (not toll free either - so I'd have needed change for the callbox) as I thought the claim would be under £500, so I just sorted the ambulance etc (not a lot of time to think straight, and who phones back to the UK in the middle of an emergency? You'd just call an ambulance surely...). Anyway, after an ambulance ride, 4 xrays and several hours of treatment in Wellingtons finest, I fear I may have blown the budget....oops. Will have to call them....

all the best, Rich.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

It'll prove to be a character building lesson in the long run. I found we appreciate things in our new country the more for having a sticky and skint start.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:54 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by RichS
It'll prove to be a character building lesson in the long run. I found we appreciate things in our new country the more for having a sticky and skint start.
I'll tell that one to the wife when she's better I think....otherwise I'm sure she'll find she can muster the strength to throw something at me....

cheers, Rich.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

My wife always feels better after throwing something at me.

It all stems from me describing her antics during child birth as "attention seeking". Things have never been the same since!

Anyway fella - good luck with things. Coming into a really nice time of year weather wise anyway.

Of course if the All Blacks get beat at the rugby your wife's demeanour may indeed be the most cheerful you'll be seeing for a while. They do take it all very seriously don't they.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rich, sorry to hear about the troubles and hope Mrs GD is feeling better.

The title of the thread says it all... it's your positive attitude coming to the rescue again. If you can get through all the cr*p that life is throwing at you at the moment and still come out the other side smiling then you'll be all the stronger for it. You'll laugh about this soon and things can only get better...

Reminds me of an adage - "Smile they said, things could be worse. So I smiled and sure enough, things got worse!"

Take care mate,
Ben
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:36 am
Life's next chapter is?

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that one.....very apt. Wife is still ill, but at least the food she ate is staying put rather than redecorating the walls !!

Hopefully by tomorrow she'll be good to go as we have a busy day..we move to our new rented house on Saturday and we have no furniture bar a bed....beanbags it is then....at least all the whiteware is included (and new).....

Got a good deal for Wellington beachside Lyall Bay - surfers paradise - $295 a week (fixed) with all whiteware, 2 double bedrooms, freshly decorated and refurbished, views to die for and o/s parking. The place has a couple of deck areas for the BBQ etc and some outside low maintenance space.

Beats the $300 city centre, no parking, shonky furniture place we have now, but this was fine for the time as it got us out of a $130 a night hotel....

How are you getting on - anywhere on the claim back from the IT franchise? How are the preparations coming along?

soon be settled....all the best, Rich.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best wishes to Mrs GD,

sounds like the old winter vomiting (would that be summer vomiting down there) the scurge of the NHS in winter when everybody and their mother starts to spew their guts up.

Hope things sort themselves out for you although you sound as though you are taking it well at the minute.

Good luck with your move into rental

Claire
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

The new house sounds great Rich and a real bargain!

I come out on 26 Nov but am really stressing about the exchange rate slide. Preparations going okay otherwise. The franchise have ignored my solicitors letters asking for a meeting when I get there so looks like court proceedings will be issued. Great way to start a new life, eh?

Ben
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:56 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Brother in law just came back from Christchurch, we,ve went over to visit him and get all the goss, and now we are all sick I woke up yesterday and the first thing I did was throw up on the bed and Im supposed to be going for my Hep b vacination tmrw already cancelled it once cos son had a rash.Think we caught our first nz bug.
Hope your wife is feeling better soon
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:05 am
Life's next chapter is?

Thanks for the support everyone...sorry to hear about the NZ bug that you took back with you there Sky - they seem pretty killer over here...although Mrs GD has suffered much more than myself. It's gone midnight and I can't sleep as she is unsettled....Will be glad when she's right as I can't choose a sofa without her (bad move if I did - bound to be wrong).

Good to hear that the move is getting closer Ben. Sorry to hear about the impending court situation - something you dont need I'm sure.

Rich.