Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Meds & Police Checks - how ?

Meds & Police Checks - how ?

Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meds & Police Checks - how ?

Thanks for the recent advice on skills assessments.

Seems like a good idea to get the meds & police checks done while we wait for skills assessment to come back.

So......what do you have to do for medicals and police checks and how long do they take.

Do I just ask my local police station for a check - does it cost anything ?....again checks on the whole family or not ?

For meds - do I just ask my GP for a check up - how do I ask about getting x-rays......what does it cost and I take it we all need it - me and the kids included....

(sorry - a while since I read the visa forms).

I know that an agent could make all this easier, but we are not in a rush and we have the points and I could spend the £1000 it would cost on something really nice.......like a big party.

thanks all.

PS.....the photos on Wollongong broght back some memories as I was out there 20 years ago and have family there and in Shellharbour.

Cheers all
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Going by the fact that your location says West Sussex - for your police check have a look at http://www.sussex.police.uk/foi/data_protection2.asp

If you've got any queries phone the Data Protection Office on 01273 404102 - they are often too busy to answer the phone at once, but if you leave a message they WILL ring you back.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Firstly you must remember that pcs and medicals expire after 12 months, so if you havent got your skill ass done yet it might be wise to wait awile, send in your visa application wait a while then get the meds and pcs done. Unless your job is likly to get you fast tracked.

You have to have medicals done by approved panel doctors, this list can be downloaded from DIMIA website, my family 2 adults 2 children will cost about £500, they need to be on correct forms which you must obtain, I got mine from Alan collett, but you can phone austarlia house and request them I THINK! Go to your local police station and ask for the form needed to request clearance, these cost £10 each and will take approx 40 days.

Hope all that helps,

Angie
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:38 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meds & Police Checks - how ?

Originally posted by Olibeneli
Thanks for the recent advice on skills assessments.

Seems like a good idea to get the meds & police checks done while we wait for skills assessment to come back.

So......what do you have to do for medicals and police checks and how long do they take.

Do I just ask my local police station for a check - does it cost anything ?....again checks on the whole family or not ?

For meds - do I just ask my GP for a check up - how do I ask about getting x-rays......what does it cost and I take it we all need it - me and the kids included....

(sorry - a while since I read the visa forms).

I know that an agent could make all this easier, but we are not in a rush and we have the points and I could spend the £1000 it would cost on something really nice.......like a big party.

thanks all.

PS.....the photos on Wollongong broght back some memories as I was out there 20 years ago and have family there and in Shellharbour.

Cheers all
We picked up a form from our local police station for the police checks anyone over 17yrs needs to provide one then we took them back with two forms of id and paid I think £10 each it takes max 40 days for you to receive the certificates after this
Ive lost a lot of weight and my hair is a completely different colour so I dont look a bit like my passport photo or my driving licence photo the pc behind the desk thought it was hillarious and screwed her eyes up to look at me and said if she looked at me like this it nearly looked like me..lol
You have to go to one of the drs on the approved list and it costs you, ours was about £85 adult and £55 child including routine blood tests but extra if you need any additional blood test and the xrays were £50 each and that was for over 12yrs only. We had our xrays done before the medical at the Bupa hospital the approved drs recommended to us and these were then posted directly to the drs by Bupa
If you do a search on this forum for medicals etc Im sure you will come up with plenty more information

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where is this list of approved doctors ?

Can't find this list of approved doctors in UK that will do the medicals..........

where is it ?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its - http://www.australia.org.uk/VTI/FORMS/doctors.pdf
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:06 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is this list of approved doctors ?

Originally posted by Olibeneli
Can't find this list of approved doctors in UK that will do the medicals..........

where is it ?

Hi olibeneli,

the link is
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/doctors/panel_u.htm
then click on the ukEngland link
and that should get you there!!!

Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:08 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

ooops!

pollyannas link gets you there direct!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Thanks !

Thank you folks !

Much appreciated your help.