Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worst day so far

Worst day so far

Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:46 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Worst day so far

HI all,
just thought i would have a rant really.
OK, we have our flights booked for 4wks time, shippers coming wednesday after next. Everything is moving so fast now...last week i was worried that it would not all go through in time, now we are moving our in 2 weeks! I am pleased but there is just so much to do.
We cleared the loft out today, have a pile of stuff to be shipped and now wondering if it is worth taking most of it..all the things that i thought we couldnt live without just look like c**p now, some of it has been sitting in our loft for 4yr!
But we can't go with nohing, and what do we do with thes uff we aren't taking? can't bear to chuck it all but at carboot people just won't pay anything for anything. It's gettiong quite personal now, feels like we are losing all our belongings and won;t have much that is familiar.
Anyway, we WILL get there in the end
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:01 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Worst day so far

If in doubt, throw it out.....

Its harsh, but if its been in the loft in the UK for 4 years then it will be in the loft in Oz for the next however many years. Take it to the charity shop. We had some stuff like that, we didnt want to throw it, but it wasn't worth anything. We know the woman in the charity shop and they have done quite well from it.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:04 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your emotional cleansing with a skip day.

I filled 2 with absolute crap that we hadn't used in years. It simply isn't worth shipping something that you havn't used for that amount of time, as you wont ever use it again most likely.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:10 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

THanks, is it going to be a problem changing the shipping quote now? we haven't signed the forms yet.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:40 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by betsyboob
THanks, is it going to be a problem changing the shipping quote now? we haven't signed the forms yet.
We just just changed ours and it wasn't a problem

I asked them how they had calculated it, they mentioned cubic foot and I said I need to knock some off, then phoned back and added some on. it wasnt a problem.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

I am a great believer in. If you have not seen it in two weeks you dont need it so chuck it out. Last time we moved house i had a field day and threw everything out Oh was not to happy though

Paddy
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

jonnywonny is an unknown quantity at this point

i rember being in same situation we are just getting thing right beds to sleep on toys for the kids ect, its worth it when you are setteled in your new home i think it took us about 6months from arriving sorry but it get worse before it gets better if you need any advice just pm me jonny
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Phoenix97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Worst day so far

We had the same dilemma when we started to sort out and pack up, so we sold some things on ebay, but eventually we took 8 large boxes of unwanted items, china, toys, ornaments, garden equipment, etc., 8 boxes of books + 8 large bags of clothes, shoes and bed linen and towels and we gave them all to charity.

We had to make several round trips of 10 miles and gave one box of each to all the different charities in the city near to us. I felt that they would get more money for them than we would have got at a car boot sale.

Besides freezing your socks off or getting muddy, I think that people always want something for nothing at boot sales and quite frankly, I would rather know that this way at least the charities would benefit from it all.

It was still hard work, but we were glad that someone would make good use of it. We gave away a sofa, tumble drier, lawnmower and all sorts of bits and bobs from the garage. Our neigbours got most of the contents of the kitchen cupboards and even some flowering tubs out of the garden!

It was really hard parting with some things, especially some childrens things or sentimental stuff we had held on to for years, but in the end we found it quite cathartic and we are glad now that we were ruthless and parted with it all. Our daughter was the recipient of a van load of furniture which we drove 500 miles to deliver too!

The funny thing is, that despite going through everything, now we are here, we have made another box of stuff which will be going to the Salvo's, once we get all our things unwrapped!

My advice....just roll up your sleeves and get stuck in....no use lugging stuff to the other side of the world that you haven't used in years.....and you won't miss it - so take it to the charity shop, they will be grateful for it!

Cheers.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

dont worry you will soon have plenty of crap here, throw the stuff away and collect more here
Old Jul 27th 2008, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

The expression 'emotional cleansing' is so apt isn't it. Most of us hoard stuff, with the intention of selling it, giving it away or finding a new use for it. Reality is, often we don't (or at least I know I didn't).

I sat for weeks leading up to moving out of our home putting all the photo's that I'd taken over twenty years and just looked at, then left in the wallet and thrown in the 'photo box' which was actually the size of a crate! Into albums.

I found this so emotional - like walking through my adult life - I really think it did me good and allowed me to let go a bit more. Now I'm here its great to look through the pics that are nice in albums.

I also tried to do this all the time now.

As you look through and start to cull your belongings its like your starting to let go before you leave, this is bound to be upsetting and emotional for some.

I say get stuck in, you really don't want to bring stuff to throw away.

Good Luck

T x
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:39 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by betsyboob
...what do we do with thes uff we aren't taking? can't bear to chuck it all but at carboot people just won't pay anything for anything....
Go to Freecycle, find your nearest group and give away what you don't need. Or give it to charity shops. There's no reason to chuck it and clutter up a landfill... give it to someone who needs it and you'll feel better about yourself.

Cheers
b
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

My motto:

If you haven't worn it or used it in a year then you don't need it. Throw it, you'll feel better for it!!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tasmas
My motto:

If you haven't worn it or used it in a year then you don't need it. Throw it, you'll feel better for it!!
A very wise motto -
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

Earn youself some good karma and take it to the charity shop.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 2:06 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
I am a great believer in. If you have not seen it in two weeks you dont need it so chuck it out. Last time we moved house i had a field day and threw everything out Oh was not to happy though

Paddy
Shit Paddy i take your missus doesnt take any 2 week hols away with the girls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.