Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worried About The Dog

Worried About The Dog

Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road
Default Worried About The Dog

Hi guys im not sure what to do. My beloved dog has had his rabies vaccination for moving to oz and i have sent off for his import licence today to aqis. The problem is that he had the blood taken 21 days after his injection and the vet said this was fine but reading the regulations it states four weeks. Im not sure if to contact aqis and explain the situation or see what happens. We are moving to perth and time is of the essence so if we have to start again it could set us back at least 2 months.
What do you guys think?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Worried About The Dog

give aqis a ring i think is best answer
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:55 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Our dog had the lepto part of his vaccination given to him before we got our visa and when we booked him on a flight he had bloodtests and failed it 8 months after the vaccination,when we decided to come over.
They tested him 2 weeks later and he passed so dont panic if your dog fails a test,they will wait 2 weeks re-do the test and as long as the failed item is less than or equal to the readings taken the first time round,your dog will be good to go.

Only if the test result is worse does it mean your dog has an infection.
It caused us a bit of panic at the time.I hope this reassures you a bit.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
Our dog had the lepto part of his vaccination given to him before we got our visa and when we booked him on a flight he had bloodtests and failed it 8 months after the vaccination,when we decided to come over.
They tested him 2 weeks later and he passed so dont panic if your dog fails a test,they will wait 2 weeks re-do the test and as long as the failed item is less than or equal to the readings taken the first time round,your dog will be good to go.
Same thing happened to us. We were told that it is very rare for a UK dog to actually have an infection of lepto, esp if they have had all the vaccinations.

Re the rabies jab - it is meant to be four weeks, but if nobody notices then I'd be tempted to let it lie. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe at some point they realise and you have a new rabies jab done... would it be the end of the world? I suppose if you want to set your mind at rest just go back to the vet and ask for a repeat test, once it is over 4 weeks, then send a copy to be added to the rest of your paperwork.