Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Workplace Changes Update

View Poll Results: Will Workplace Changes in OZ Cause You to Reconsider Moving Here?
YES
13.33%
NO
66.67%
NOT SURE
20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Workplace Changes Update

Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:44 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Workplace Changes Update

The federal government's workplace reforms are now law so we investigated what power your boss has over your pay, your conditions and your rights.

While today is D-day for most of Australia's workers some have already experienced what WorkChoices offers first hand.

Baggage handler Angus Cunningham is a quarantine assistant at Brisbane airport and said he was forced to sign an Australian Workplace Agreement (AWA) two years ago.

"If you didn't sign you were shown the door and said see you later," he said.

Every baggage handler at Brisbane airport is a casual because it is cheaper for the employer.

Dr John Buchanan and Dr Chris Briggs run Sydney University's workplace research centre.

Today Tonight asked them to look at four of Australia's biggest industries - retail, hospitality/tourism, manufacturing and construction - to predict the changes that will occur and to look at the worst case scenarios.

"All new employees will be bargaining from a much more vulnerable position today than they were on Friday," Dr Buchanan said.

"There are two million people dependent on awards, when you weaken those awards people are immediately exposed when they change jobs."

Hospitality
At the moment under award conditions an average full-time waiter receives about $578 a week with the income boosted by 25 per cent because of penalties.

Workers receive maternity leave, long service leave, sick leave and loading on holiday pay.

"You'll see them working single hourly rate jobs without any penalties and again I think the big losers will be people working weekends and nights," Dr Briggs claimed.

"I think penalty rates will become a thing of the past only surviving in upmarket restaurants.".

Manufacturing
An electrical fitter in the manufacturing sector with 15 years' experience earns about $867 a week.

Most of the usual benefits are guaranteed by the award but it is another industry experts believe will change radically under the new laws.

"Those who are in the factories at the moment will keep their current entitlements but new employees will come in on cheaper rates," Dr Buchanan said.

Retail
Shop assistants working full-time earn an average $542 a week and get paid overtime at time and a half.

But it is likely retailers will abolish loadings and penalties in this vulnerable sector.

Construction
An average labourer pulls in about $647 a week and has entitlements like sick leave, redundancy, holiday pay with loading and a raft of other benefits including transport and meal allowances.

There are concerns that changing these conditions may compromise safety on work sites.

Andrew Peach is currently on an enterprise bargaining agreement which expires this year and he worries he will lose his entitlements.

"Worst case scenario I'll be sacked for the wrong reason," he said.

Experts admit it will take up to five years for the workforce to see the full effects of the new laws but anyone signing a contract today can expect it to be massively different from last week.

People are already being laidoff due to the boss not like them (but couldn't be sacked before due to unfair dismissal laws;that protection has now gone.) or else they are being sacked and re-hired under contract as casual workers, thereby no longer having award entitlements such as holiday pay, sickpay, loading rates etc.

This is the new face of the Australian workplace. If you are coming here, brace yourself and come prepared for a different Australia to the one you had imagined.

What do you think? Will this change your view on migrating to OZ? Or perhaps you support such extreme measures? Maybe, but it won't stop here. It will impact negatively on others in the longer term, including business people. Lower wages and higher productivity may be the catch cry but this will translate into less disposable income across the nation to spend.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:00 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workplace Changes Update

I have added a poll so you can add your bit and also add to the feel of those viewing this thread so we can get a bit of a picture on how people are thinking in respect to this matter.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
The federal government's workplace reforms are now law so we investigated what power your boss has over your pay, your conditions and your rights.

While today is D-day for most of Australia's workers some have already experienced what WorkChoices offers first hand.

Baggage handler Angus Cunningham is a quarantine assistant at Brisbane airport and said he was forced to sign an Australian Workplace Agreement (AWA) two years ago.

"If you didn't sign you were shown the door and said see you later," he said.

Every baggage handler at Brisbane airport is a casual because it is cheaper for the employer.

Dr John Buchanan and Dr Chris Briggs run Sydney University's workplace research centre.

Today Tonight asked them to look at four of Australia's biggest industries - retail, hospitality/tourism, manufacturing and construction - to predict the changes that will occur and to look at the worst case scenarios.

"All new employees will be bargaining from a much more vulnerable position today than they were on Friday," Dr Buchanan said.

"There are two million people dependent on awards, when you weaken those awards people are immediately exposed when they change jobs."

Hospitality
At the moment under award conditions an average full-time waiter receives about $578 a week with the income boosted by 25 per cent because of penalties.

Workers receive maternity leave, long service leave, sick leave and loading on holiday pay.

"You'll see them working single hourly rate jobs without any penalties and again I think the big losers will be people working weekends and nights," Dr Briggs claimed.

"I think penalty rates will become a thing of the past only surviving in upmarket restaurants.".

Manufacturing
An electrical fitter in the manufacturing sector with 15 years' experience earns about $867 a week.

Most of the usual benefits are guaranteed by the award but it is another industry experts believe will change radically under the new laws.

"Those who are in the factories at the moment will keep their current entitlements but new employees will come in on cheaper rates," Dr Buchanan said.

Retail
Shop assistants working full-time earn an average $542 a week and get paid overtime at time and a half.

But it is likely retailers will abolish loadings and penalties in this vulnerable sector.

Construction
An average labourer pulls in about $647 a week and has entitlements like sick leave, redundancy, holiday pay with loading and a raft of other benefits including transport and meal allowances.

There are concerns that changing these conditions may compromise safety on work sites.

Andrew Peach is currently on an enterprise bargaining agreement which expires this year and he worries he will lose his entitlements.

"Worst case scenario I'll be sacked for the wrong reason," he said.

Experts admit it will take up to five years for the workforce to see the full effects of the new laws but anyone signing a contract today can expect it to be massively different from last week.

People are already being laidoff due to the boss not like them (but couldn't be sacked before due to unfair dismissal laws;that protection has now gone.) or else they are being sacked and re-hired under contract as casual workers, thereby no longer having award entitlements such as holiday pay, sickpay, loading rates etc.

This is the new face of the Australian workplace. If you are coming here, brace yourself and come prepared for a different Australia to the one you had imagined.

What do you think? Will this change your view on migrating to OZ? Or perhaps you support such extreme measures? Maybe, but it won't stop here. It will impact negatively on others in the longer term, including business people. Lower wages and higher productivity may be the catch cry but this will translate into less disposable income across the nation to spend.
This is word for word what was shown on Today Tonight from yesterday & as they are the Daily Mail of Aussie TV is only half the story. I think the true story is somewhere in between what the unions are saying & what the government are saying. As for immigration, there was an article in today's West Australian stating that UK & South African immigrants earn on average $150 more per week than Aussies. This is due to the better skills of migrants.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:06 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone explain what "penalties" are

thanks
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by suzy
Can someone explain what "penalties" are

thanks
They are extra money earnt for working say weekends, nights, overtime and public holidays (similar to UK Bank Holidays I think). Have been around for decades.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:24 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

They are extra money earnt for working say weekends, nights, overtime and public holidays (similar to UK Bank Holidays I think). Have been around for decades.
ok thanks for that
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Australia post is starting to introduce non penalty posties for the first time ever. The new workpractice is called "DODO" (dedicated outdoor delivery operatives") Because the new posties are part time and start at 6.30am through to 12.30pm they forego the inbuilt 15pct penatly payment. They are also required to do a "reasonable" amount of overtime. Basically what this means, is the average wage for the average postie, will fall from somewhere around 49,000 Aud, to somewhere around 33,000 Aud, within 3 years. With the average hours worked falling from 41 hours (includes xmas and easter overtime) to about 30 hours per week.

Aussie post is also offering redundancy packages to a large percentage of Full timers in all areas.

If the Liberals get in again...... I will have to look for another job to get anywhere near above 45,000 AUD. My wages at Aussie post are likely to fall 20 pct in the next 5 years. From above 50,000 AUD for nights, to around 40,000 (assuming I can maintain full time employment with them) and Starting at 3.30 am instead of 11.30 pm, hence 15 pct penalty (which will be underattack) instead of the current 30 pct penalty.

Fantastic eh :scared:

So much for my investment ambitions.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Australia post is starting to introduce non penalty posties for the first time ever. The new workpractice is called "DODO" (dedicated outdoor delivery operatives") Because the new posties are part time and start at 6.30am through to 12.30pm they forego the inbuilt 15pct penatly payment. They are also required to do a "reasonable" amount of overtime. Basically what this means, is the average wage for the average postie, will fall from somewhere around 49,000 Aud, to somewhere around 33,000 Aud, within 3 years. With the average hours worked falling from 41 hours (includes xmas and easter overtime) to about 30 hours per week.

Aussie post is also offering redundancy packages to a large percentage of Full timers in all areas.

If the Liberals get in again...... I will have to look for another job to get anywhere near above 45,000 AUD. My wages at Aussie post are likely to fall 20 pct in the next 5 years. From above 50,000 AUD for nights, to around 40,000 (assuming I can maintain full time employment with them) and Starting at 3.30 am instead of 11.30 pm, hence 15 pct penalty (which will be underattack) instead of the current 30 pct penalty.

Fantastic eh :scared:

So much for my investment ambitions.
I'm not trying to be controversal or attack you but:
Is Australia Post profitable?,
Are there a lot of people working for Aussie Post who are slackers, troublemakers, lazy, militant, taking the p1ss etc? (this is a problem at Royal Mail)
Do you think productivity is high or low at Aussie Post?
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm not trying to be controversal or attack you but:
Is Australia Post profitable?,
Are there a lot of people working for Aussie Post who are slackers, troublemakers, lazy, militant, taking the p1ss etc? (this is a problem at Royal Mail)
Do you think productivity is high or low at Aussie Post?

We are recognized internationally as the one of the postal services in the world, make at least 365 million bucks per year. We also have inbuilt measuring and disciplineary procedures, that makes sure that people not performing are either encouraged to leave, or actually sacked.

The main tool for getting rid of a slacker, is by moving them to an office far away from where they live.

Nope this is all about selling off aussie post.

I'm a Shop steward there, and unfortunatly the only people jumping up and down are very militant, which is going to make the whole situation worse. I know that striking will play right into the Liberals hands, and what is needed is weekend protest. Hopefully the General public would really sit up and take notice if Unions started mass rallies out of work in their own time on weekends. I'm not going to get that message through to the people most likely to take action though.

So I'm not happy about the projected outcome at all.

Personally I'm going to keep voicing that we should protest only on weekends.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 28th 2006 at 10:57 am.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

We are recognized internationally as the one of the postal services in the world, make at least 365 million bucks per year. We also have inbuilt measuring and disciplineary procedures, that makes sure that people not performing are either encouraged to leave, or actually sacked.

That's cool & I agree with you.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's cool & I agree with you.

I went through this whole situation once before, with the Gas and Fuel about 12 years ago. When crazy Jeff Kennet thought he was Maggot reincarnated.

I've got one question, where did the Million buck a day profit that the Gas and Fuel used to make for Victoria go.

It wasn't to the consumer. I'd like to know exactly where that profit went.

It's times like this, that I really start to beleive in international consortiums possibly running the world. Wherever it went, Aussie posts profit is going to go the same way, and the service, like the Gas and Fuels will get worse.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:24 pm
Banned

The main tool for getting rid of a slacker, is by moving them to an office far away from where they live.

I'm a Shop steward there, and unfortunatly the only people jumping up and down are very militant, which is going to make the whole situation worse. I know that striking will play right into the Liberals hands, and what is needed is weekend protest. Hopefully the General public would really sit up and take notice if Unions started mass rallies out of work in their own time on weekends. I'm not going to get that message through to the people most likely to take action though.

Great post Ozzie. And for more info people check out this link:

http://www.actu.asn.au/
Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:03 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Workplace Changes Update

Will Workplace Changes in OZ Cause You to Reconsider Moving Here?
No, of course not.

I've seen so many ex-pats on this forum complaining about the power of the unions in Australia (and justifiably so.)

Now that we have some new legislation which whips the rug out from under the union thugs and brings Australia's IR laws closer to post-Thatcher Britain, I expect general applause all round.

At first glance, the laws seemed specifically aimed at protecting small businesses from exploitation by troublesome ex-employees wishing to go out with a bang and a healthy slab of "compensation" for a falsely-alleged and/or contrived "grievance."

There may also be some wider implications for big business.

Time will tell.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 6:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Workplace Changes Update

Hear, hear! I worked for Aussie Post at the Perth Mail Centre in WA for 4.5 years, and would still be there if I hadn't walked away from it all and come over to the UK.

Post is a great employer, a genuine market leader, and the best example of a national postal service that I have ever seen.

Royal Mail still appears to be mired in the past, and its performance is disturbingly low. RM had a £200 million profit in 2004, but this merely paid for the near-£200 million loss it had suffered in 2003. Its target for 1st class deliveries a day after they were posted is 92.5% (a surprisingly low benchmark for such a tiny country), but frequently fails to reach this objective.

On the basis of my observations over the past two years or so, I have concluded that RM is bogged down with inefficiency, outdated and low-tech practices, limited postage options, double-handling, and the (bizarre) separation of post office and postal service into two separate entities.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 5:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of Oz post over 18 months is that a significant amount of mail goes AWOL - and this is not confined to me either! Many people here say you just HAVE to have a Box No. to stand a chance of getting a lot of the mail.

As for the workplace legislation I am sure there will be forecasts of dead and dying in the streets just as there were in the eighties when the government took on the unions in the UK. no doubt some employers will be unreasonable but Australia hs been a hothouse of union militancy for donkey's years ( better now) - often caused by English and Scottish shop stewards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.