Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working in the UK while in Australia??!!??

Working in the UK while in Australia??!!??

Old May 25th 2005, 12:58 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Default Working in the UK while in Australia??!!??

Hi as a webdesigner with loads of clients etc.

I`m starting to wonder the benifits of working for UK companies using skype for communication and being paid in UK pounds.

What is the best way to do this tax wise?? Paypal??

any Ideas?

Cheers
Old May 25th 2005, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Shandy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Working in the UK while in Australia??!!??

Originally Posted by Widdi

I`m starting to wonder the benifits of working for UK companies using skype for communication and being paid in UK pounds.

any Ideas?

Cheers
Widdi

I've asked the question myself recently

The small thread is here...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302493

The official source of info is here
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...01#001_002_012

Think I'm going to seek professional advice once I get to Melbourne and carry on using a UK account until the tax issues are sorted.

HTH

Neil
Old May 25th 2005, 11:29 pm
ABCDiamond

any Ideas?

Cheers
Keep your UK bank account open, and operate it via internet banking.
Don't confuse your clients with any hassle for them. They can pay into your account via internet banking, or if they prefer to pay by cheque, as some still do, then get them to post the cheque direct to your bank. Discuss this with your bank manager first, and you should have no problems.

There are various ways to transfer your funds to your Australian account, but you also have the option to use a UK credit card here, and pay it off each month from your UK bank account.

All tax will be via the Australian Tax system, as an Australian Resident.

It's easy when you know how

Old May 26th 2005, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Keep your UK bank account open, and operate it via internet banking.
Don't confuse your clients with any hassle for them. They can pay into your account via internet banking, or if they prefer to pay by cheque, as some still do, then get them to post the cheque direct to your bank. Discuss this with your bank manager first, and you should have no problems.

There are various ways to transfer your funds to your Australian account, but you also have the option to use a UK credit card here, and pay it off each month from your UK bank account.

All tax will be via the Australian Tax system, as an Australian Resident.

It's easy when you know how
My wife does this for some translation jobs she gets in the UK. As far as I understand it you have to be physically in the UK when you do the work to be liable for income tax in the UK, and even then there's a double taxation treaty between the UK and Oz.

If you keep your bank account open in the UK make sure that they stop deducting tax from the interest and of course to declare the interest you get to the ATO on your tax return.

Cheers

Papa Z
Old May 26th 2005, 5:14 am
owieb

any Ideas?

Cheers
All my work comes from the UK, paid in sterling.

We all use Skype works a treat with it's conference call.

I have an Australian Pty and Australian bank accounts; a dollar account and a sterling account all held with the same bank.

Clients pay me direct transfers into the sterling account, normally takes a few days to arrive. I just watch the exchange rate and move into the dollar account when needed, that can happen the same day.

My Australian employees are paid in dollars.

I don't have any UK bank accounts, credit cards or anything like that, all tax is paid in Australia.

Old May 26th 2005, 7:09 am
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice

OK then, thanyou very much,

Looks simple enough!! -
Old May 26th 2005, 8:16 pm

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about

any Ideas?

Cheers
Has anybody much experience of doing this, including getting some UK flights covered under company expenses. I like it !. Any other good idea's.

Brian.
Old May 27th 2005, 12:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bjbrian
Has anybody much experience of doing this, including getting some UK flights covered under company expenses. I like it !. Any other good idea's.

Brian.
Talking about the flights, if it looks reasonable to the ATO, then it would be acceptable.

If you are bringing income into Australia, operating a business in the UK, and having to travel to the UK maybe once a year, that would seem reasonable. More trips than that would be allowed if circumstances were such that it appeared necessary to continue the income stream from the UK clients.
But do discuss this with your accountant.

It actually seems more reasonable than us claiming travel costs from Brisbane to Sydney just to do an inspection on an investment property down there. And we are allowed to claim for that at least twice a year !!

Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Talking about the flights, if it looks reasonable to the ATO, then it would be acceptable.

If you are bringing income into Australia, operating a business in the UK, and having to travel to the UK maybe once a year, that would seem reasonable. More trips than that would be allowed if circumstances were such that it appeared necessary to continue the income stream from the UK clients.
But do discuss this with your accountant.

It actually seems more reasonable than us claiming travel costs from Brisbane to Sydney just to do an inspection on an investment property down there. And we are allowed to claim for that at least twice a year !!
Hi ABC Diamond

You seem to be in the know on these tax matters. My husband and I will be in the same situation, he will continue to work remotely for his UK company. Do you know of any forms that need to be filled out before we leave? I think I heard mention of applying for a NT (no tax) PAYE code. And then, of course, tax is paid locally in Aus.

Thanks!

Anna