Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working Tax Credits - HELP!!

Working Tax Credits - HELP!!

Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:04 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Working Tax Credits - HELP!!

I have just come back to Australia after 2.5 years in Scotland. Whilst I was there my husband and I were claiming working tax credits. I called the inland revenue a month before we left stating we were leaving permenantly, and was told this was fine and they would be in touch. I recieved credits into my bank account until 2 days after I left the UK which I figured was my final payment.

Today I got a letter telling me I have to pay back everything I claimed this tax year (almost £9000). I cannot believe this is true....has anyone else gotten a letter like this? Please someone tell me this is likely to be a massive mistake

Mika
xx
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:16 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Working Tax Credits - HELP!!

Originally Posted by mika24me
I have just come back to Australia after 2.5 years in Scotland. Whilst I was there my husband and I were claiming working tax credits. I called the inland revenue a month before we left stating we were leaving permenantly, and was told this was fine and they would be in touch. I recieved credits into my bank account until 2 days after I left the UK which I figured was my final payment.

Today I got a letter telling me I have to pay back everything I claimed this tax year (almost £9000). I cannot believe this is true....has anyone else gotten a letter like this? Please someone tell me this is likely to be a massive mistake

Mika
xx
They are completely and utterly useless!!!!!!!!!!

I also had a letter saying I owed them £500, I told them that I did not and they can stick it where the sun don't shine! Haven't heard back from them yet, but no doubt I will!

Give them a call and see what they say - they may just need the final amount you earned over the course of the year!

Good luck!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:15 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I have phoned the tax office, they accidentally entered the wrong date when I called to say I was leaving (Jan 2009 instead of Jan 2010) so according to their notes I have been wrongly claiming for 12 months

They cannot amend this for me as "computer says no" so I have to raise a dispute
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:29 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I have phoned the tax office, they accidentally entered the wrong date when I called to say I was leaving (Jan 2009 instead of Jan 2010) so according to their notes I have been wrongly claiming for 12 months

They cannot amend this for me as "computer says no" so I have to raise a dispute
They need a serious overhaul of that computer system!

I'd been living with my other half for a year, and we had claimed as a couple - I phoned to tell them that we had been married (i.e. just change me name), but they instead stopped my entire claim and resubmitted it again, as they man who input the data 'didn't realise' I was already claiming as a couple! The just of it was, i never saw any money for another 6 weeks - did get the back pay, but it was a MASSIVE pain!!

Glad they have got to the bottom of it!

K x
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:32 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Can't believe that, that their computer system can't amend the date. I think they're having you on ... also its their mistake, so they should take rsponsibility and correct it. . Oh well, do as they say, raise a dispute and don't pay it.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice

I have been fighting them as well, going back to 2003-2004!!! They are looking for £4800 saying that I didnt give them the info required before 30 Sept that year so they stopped my claim and we need to repay all money. In A LOT of letters they contradict themselves all the time and in one says "thank you for the info you sent us on the 21st Sept. WHAT!!!!

I have made several disputes with them but they say I still have to pay so now I have my complaint against them with the Adjudicators Office (since July 2009 now and TCO dont tell you about this office but CAB will if you are still not happy)

I still get Tax Credits as they say now is not affected by then - Crazy!!

Anyway I will just wait and see what happens and when we do move to OZ I will phone them and write to say we are going and then close my account.