Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working in schools?

Working in schools?

Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Working in schools?

We are considering moving to rural NSW and I was thinking about trying to find a job/study towards working in the education sector, at this stage I am not sure (in fact fairly certain) I do not want to be a school teacher but do school have school assistants or other type of roles at all? (apart from general admin ones)

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:13 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in schools?

A 'Teachers Aide' job is the kind of thing you might be after. You'll be needing a Certificate 3 in Education Support....available at TAFE (College).

Jan
Old Sep 4th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

I'm in WA & currently at Uni on an Education Assistants course with the aim of working in Kindy/Primary Schools.

You don't have to be qualified here to work as an EA as I can be employed whilst I'm still training but not sure if it's different for other states.

Alison x
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont have to have qualifications here either other than a clean police record and a first aid certificate. However, the role is quite different from that in UK and it is hard to get your foot in the door because it is a popular job with mums who want school hours while their kids are little. They arent usually permanent positions and are, more often than not, support roles for kids with disabilities (nappy changes, snotty noses, behaviour problems etc)
Old Sep 4th 2011, 9:06 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
We are considering moving to rural NSW and I was thinking about trying to find a job/study towards working in the education sector, at this stage I am not sure (in fact fairly certain) I do not want to be a school teacher but do school have school assistants or other type of roles at all? (apart from general admin ones)

Thanks in advance
Good choice! lol