Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working hours in Australia

Working hours in Australia

Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working hours in Australia

Originally Posted by bcworld
My timesheet says I've done 52 hours this week - the reality is more like 65 - just finished a 10hr Sunday - no day off this week.

I very much agree with sonlymewalter's comment about working harder not smarter. Mostly as a result of that I seem to end up doing more weekend work here though, rather than finding weekends protected.

That's just my personal experience - others will of course differ.
I had to get a client site up and running this weekend and I resented every minute of the 30 I put in ... granted, I am not on top dollar but there are some things money just can compensate for ... I made a cracking Lego tower today ...

To take an example of how my working life is led ... I can see the boss expecting me to 'take over' from someone at work who is expected to sacrifice her weekends ... she is on 2 weeks leave and this is just the start of the shite (I am Johnny On The Spot by default) ... so, my plan is to establish, in no uncertain terms, that I will not be going down that road.

Management is such that 'exceptional' extra working could be the norm, the usual combination of incompetence and stupidity.

The negotiations will be interesting and it is 50/50 if I will be in the same employment in 2 weeks but at least I may see some of my daughter's development.

It is, when all said and done, only a job.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:38 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I couldn't ask about it directly at work - I'd probably be looking for another job by the evening!

They are a good company to work for, but don't like 'slackers' (i.e. people who don't do long hours 'looking' like they do a lot of work).
Slackers bad, especially in a small company (such as mine) ... we have just recruited a new bod who is Mr Slacker personified ... he's only a week in and the vibes ain't good ... it took me at least 3 months before I stopped trying to impress, he ain't even started yet
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by quoll
Mercer seems to rank them differently though - and says that public holidays "may" be counted towards annual leave - it doesnt say that they ARE. http://www.mercer.com/summary.htm?idContent=1360620
That report states:
United Kingdom: effective from 1 April 2009, a worker is entitled to 28 days of annual leave each year (up from 24 previously). Public holidays (of which there are eight days in the UK) may count towards the employee’s annual leave entitlement.
Yet they then say 28 days + 8 Public Holiday = 36 days

For Australia they say:
Australia: the law provides for four weeks of paid annual leave
there are usually at least two additional public holidays proclaimed in each state/territory each year, which must also be observed. Some are applicable to certain industries, such as banking, or only apply to certain regions.
Yet they quote 20 + 8 Public Holiday = 28 days

These are the 8 Public Holidays this year...
  1. Fri 1st Jan 2010 New Year's Day
  2. Tue 26th Jan 2010 Australia Day
  3. Fri 2nd Apr 2010 Good Friday
  4. Sat 3rd Apr 2010 Easter Saturday ???
  5. Mon 5th Apr 2010 Easter Monday
  6. Anzac Day Monday, 26 April 2010
  7. Labour Day Monday, 3 May 2010
  8. Queen's Birthday Monday, 14 June 2010
  9. Royal Queensland Show Wednesday, 11 August 2010
  10. Christmas Day Tuesday, 28 December 2010
  11. Boxing Day Monday, 27 December 2010

Plus of course there is the long service leave. 3 Months after 10 years.

How many normal British workers get more then the Australian 20 days + 10 public holidays (ex Easter Saturday) ie: 30 days per year, plus 3 months after 10 years.

Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:44 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Slackers bad, especially in a small company (such as mine) ... we have just recruited a new bod who is Mr Slacker personified ... he's only a week in and the vibes ain't good ... it took me at least 3 months before I stopped trying to impress, he ain't even started yet
He won't need to if he's mr popularity mate
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think both Australia mandates 20 days holidays minimum. Pub hols about 11 days.

UK mandates 28 days minimum but only country in Europe where those holidays can include the 8 public holidays - so depends on employer.

I believe the question wasn't whether the UK was better than Australia (which I believe it is sometimes), rather whether Australia was the 2nd worst in the industrialised world.
I'm just saying that Australia isn't the relaxed laid back place that many prospective migrants think it is, they do have to work long long hours in Australia (in general I mean) I'm sure there are some that don't but in the main they have to put more hours in than most industrailised nations.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:50 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That report states:

Yet they then say 28 days + 8 Public Holiday = 36 days

For Australia they say:

Yet they quote 20 + 8 Public Holiday = 28 days

These are the 8 Public Holidays this year...
  1. Fri 1st Jan 2010 New Year's Day
  2. Tue 26th Jan 2010 Australia Day
  3. Fri 2nd Apr 2010 Good Friday
  4. Sat 3rd Apr 2010 Easter Saturday ???
  5. Mon 5th Apr 2010 Easter Monday
  6. Anzac Day Monday, 26 April 2010
  7. Labour Day Monday, 3 May 2010
  8. Queen's Birthday Monday, 14 June 2010
  9. Royal Queensland Show Wednesday, 11 August 2010
  10. Christmas Day Tuesday, 28 December 2010
  11. Boxing Day Monday, 27 December 2010

Plus of course there is the long service leave. 3 Months after 10 years.

How many normal British workers get more then the Australian 20 days + 10 public holidays (ex Easter Saturday) ie: 30 days per year, plus 3 months after 10 years.
All I can say is that is was the norm to get 25 days + bank holidays where I worked in the UK. You then got an extra 2 after 10 years (plus shares, and a gold watch after 25yrs ). You could also take up to 6 month maternity / 2 weeks paternity - fully paid. (I think they even extended the 6 month to 12 months, but only 1/2 pay after 6).

When I worked for the council (before that), it was 25 + bank holidays, + an extra 2 after 2 years.

Bonus in Australia though, is I get to drink at work Mon-Fri!! - that seems pretty common here (would have been fired in the UK for that!)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:50 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
.......How many normal British workers get more then the Australian 20 days + 10 public holidays (ex Easter Saturday) ie: 30 days per year, plus 3 months after 10 years.
Problem is when someone takes long term service leave generally they are not replaced when they're off so everyone else works harder to cover, so it's a bloody pain in the arse for everyone else tbh

As a matter of interest I wonder what the % of Aussie workforce end up working at the same place for over 10 years, excluding the public sector of course?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe it's just IT jobs in Adelaide that are sh!te with regards to hours and holidays.

[at least it's still sunny when I get home most of the year ]
OK it's 9.00pm in the summer time just enough time for hard working Australians to have dinner then a couple of beers ....the sun down (in the summer)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by MDawson
OK it's 9.00pm in the summer time just enough time for hard working Australians to have dinner then a couple of beers ....the sun down (in the summer)
Ahhh but despite the work conditions, many of us wouldn't trade our life over here for the world mate
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Ahhh but despite the work conditions, many of us wouldn't trade our life over here for the world mate
I think I would , the world sounds very interesting to me...
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:17 pm

I think I would , the world sounds very interesting to me...
So is Aus if you love it
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
So is Aus if you love it

I suppose I didn't love it ....no offence my friend
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:22 pm

I suppose I didn't love it ....no offence my friend
No offence taken, Aus isn't for everyone mate
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:25 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Yeah I think we all love WORKing here.

I think anyone who moves here and ends up working less hours with more holidays - WELL DONE!!!

For the rest of us, we'll cover for you.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think we all love WORKing here.

I think anyone who moves here and ends up working less hours with more holidays - WELL DONE!!!

For the rest of us, we'll cover for you.
I had a flexible benefits package in the UK...we could take maximum 7 weeks leave + public holidays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.