Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working hours in Australia

Working hours in Australia

Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:50 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working hours in Australia

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
why-i man - throw in a newky brown and we're laughin

Or is it "throw up" a newky brown
Better ask these two ...

Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:48 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you showing me and my mate's picture like that, pet.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with you showing me and my mate's picture like that, pet.
Calm down, calm down ... oh no, I have my stereotypes crossed (painful).
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:22 am
Just Joined

evelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MDawson
I've noticed that many people wanting to move to Australia are under the impression that Australians work less hours than most and have a good work/life balance.

I can only say to any prospective migrant that this just is not true.
Australians generally have to do at least 40-45 hours per week and more...
They also get very little in the way of annual leave , I think the only industrial nation that works more hours than this and less holidays is America.

By the time you get home in the evening all that sunshine has gone as even in summer it's dark by 8pm in Oz.

Just an observation , I'm sure lots of people will get mad at me telling the truth again
No your right and don't feel bad about pointing it out - its better future migrants know the truth - !!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been handed a roster for the next 3 weeks...6 day working week with only Sunday off...I guess you could call that respecting the weekends?

Even worse because I live in Melbourne but work in Sydney (at the moment) I can't realistically go home - so I'll have to fly OH up here on the weekends they're not working.

Woe is me eh!

Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've just been handed a roster for the next 3 weeks...6 day working week with only Sunday off...I guess you could call that respecting the weekends?

Even worse because I live in Melbourne but work in Sydney (at the moment) I can't realistically go home - so I'll have to fly OH up here on the weekends they're not working.

Woe is me eh!

http://caccioppoli.com/gif%20animate...ing_violin.gif
ouch...I hope you get paid double for working on Saturdays...
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
No your right and don't feel bad about pointing it out - its better future migrants know the truth - !!
Do Australians really get very little in the way of annual leave ?

Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:27 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Do Australians really get very little in the way of annual leave ?
Most get 20 days... and then also get the public holidays (between 8 and 10 depending on the year and whether some fall on weekends - in which case you get shortchanged like Anzac day 2009 which was a saturday but DIDNT get a public holiday moved to the monday).

Having said that there seem to be a growing number of jobs where public holidays arent respected.

I share working 7am-10:30pm 365 days a year with 5 people. That means I get on average 2 public holdays a year where I'm working, I lose 21 weekend days a year to work and have 1 day each week extended by more than 6 hours. All unpaid and in excess of a 'normal' 40 hours week.

I *am* looking for a new job

Edit: Just checked 2011 public holidays and we get cheated AGAIN: Easter Monday April 25th, ANZAC Day April 25th - Both listed as public holidays!!! What kind of SCAM is that?!!

Last edited by DadAgain; Apr 21st 2010 at 5:34 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

That is such a cheat!! Anyway why do they need reasons for public holidays? What's wrong with a good old 'May bank holiday weekend' or maybe a 'June bank holiday weekend'?

Definitely not enough public holidays in NSW for my liking..
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hotfuss
That is such a cheat!! Anyway why do they need reasons for public holidays? What's wrong with a good old 'May bank holiday weekend' or maybe a 'June bank holiday weekend'?

Definitely not enough public holidays in NSW for my liking..
The Conservatives have mentioned having St Georges Day off in England , should they get in power on May 6th....so we miss this one. (April 23rd)

Labour are too far left to celebrate being English .

Anyway looks like the land of milk and honey doesn't really do very well regarding annual leave and working hours ....best move to France or Austria for that !
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh I sure am glad I'm retired and not working any more. I had a fantastic (as also my oh) working stint in the Dubai - 8-4:30 including commute time (10 minutes to office); strict 5 day week, 6 weeks holidays a year; don't even ask about the public holidays - almost a whole week off for the two main festivals, 28 days every year where we worked only 6 hours a day...unbelievable! No wonder the place was so popular with some expats!

We did have the odd muppets who thought they could spend day and night at the office in the hope of making a good impression on the boss and getting a promotion...lol. My boss (this was in 1996, when I just started my new job in Dubai) used to actually joke and tell me he used to set his watch when I picked up my bag to leave for the day at 2 pm (although my colleagues used to hang around until 4-5 pm) In those days - a full day's work was from 8-2pm

Last edited by IndieG; Apr 21st 2010 at 6:28 am.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IndieG
Gosh I sure am glad I'm retired and not working any more. I had a fantastic (as also my oh) working stint in the Dubai - 8-4:30 including commute time (10 minutes to office); strict 5 day week, 6 weeks holidays a year; don't even ask about the public holidays - almost a whole week off for the two main festivals, 28 days every year where we worked only 6 hours a day...unbelievable! No wonder the place was so popular with some expats!

We did have the odd muppets who thought they could spend day and night at the office in the hope of making a good impression on the boss and getting a promotion...lol. My boss (this was in 1996, when I just started my new job in Dubai) used to actually joke and tell me he used to set his watch when I picked up my bag to leave for the day at 2 pm (although my colleagues used to hang around until 4-5 pm) In those days - a full day's work was from 8-2pm
Sounds great you are to be saluted for knowing how to find quality of life,
Like the bit about muppets , I've met a few of those twits !
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:18 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yep, love Aus but in all the years here I've noticed more hrs worked overall at all levels as the work culture seems to be to work harder, not smarter

The upside though is that everyone takes weekend time more seriously than UK & come friday night, it's family time over the weekend
Unless you work in retail, in which case you can expect to work weekends, late night shopping and Boxing Day and New Years Day. Not exactly family friendly.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Edit: Just checked 2011 public holidays and we get cheated AGAIN: Easter Monday April 25th, ANZAC Day April 25th - Both listed as public holidays!!! What kind of SCAM is that?!!
In Victoria next year, Tues 26th April is a public holiday in lieu of Anzac Day - so Fri, Sat, Mon & Tue over the Easter period are all public holidays. Have words with Ms Bligh if QLD aren't doing that!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:53 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Just checked 2011 public holidays and we get cheated AGAIN: Easter Monday April 25th, ANZAC Day April 25th - Both listed as public holidays!!! What kind of SCAM is that?!!
But we get the Tuesday, April 26th off as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.